• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

DatPacker problem

Started by DFire870, January 26, 2008, 06:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DFire870

Just an update here, but some of the essential files from the SWAP pack aren't being datpacked because it says they're superseeded. I was wondering why my game kept crashing whenever I plopped one of those pieces...

-- John
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

SC4BOY

When it says it was "superseed" that has nothign to do with functionality in 99% of the cases. This simply means that you have 2 or more versions of a dat file in your plugins. Assuming they are the same, you will have no problems (Datpacker isolates them anyways.. just as SC4 would do if you did not pack them). If on the other hand they are an old or obsolete version it simply means you will have the wrong elements loaded.. btw those air packs are known dups.. you can just leave them alone or remove them if that message really bothers you.. it will make no difference to the game...

You'll have to look elsewhere for any problems you have.

DFire870

Well, I know that in this case, the superseeded message does actually mean something. If I don't datpack the folder with SWAP or the props in it, it's fine. But when I datpack them the program says they're superseed (when I know they aren't duplicates or obsolete files) and when I play the game the props and such don't show up.

-- John

wouanagaine

If it says it is superseed, it means that DatPAcker find all entries of that file in other files and thoses files are loaded after the superseed one resulting in a 'no need to load' the first file

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

DFire870

Okay, so I tried datpacking my two props folders by themselves with nothing else in the folder, and it worked fine. There were some duplicate files that I didn't see before, but there are no duplications of the mega packs I listed earlier. But like I said before, when I have datpack all of my folders together it lists those mega packs as superseed, but datpacking them individually doesn't have the same effect.

-- John

wouanagaine

sorry, I don't follow you, but to apologize, I'm sick  &ops

Maybe you can post a shot or list of files yuo have datpacked when it works and when it does not

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

BarbyW

Wouanagaine, I don't follow and I am not sick $%Grinno$%
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

DFire870

:D Let me try this again...

When I run the DatPacker with everything in my plugins, when it gets to the "Props 2" folder, it says that various files are superseeded. The ks_jpn mega packs (all of them) are listed as superseeded (as well as other mega packs), when I know there are no duplicates of those packs in my plugins. And then when I run SC4 the props that are in those packs don't show up.

However, when I run the DatPacker with the individual folder (I run DatPacker on the Props 1 folder, move the file, then run it on Props 2, move the file, etc.), everything is fine, and when I run SC4 the above props show up.

-- John

BarbyW

Maybe it would help if you listed all the files you have in Props 1 and Props 2. Without know what is in each folder it is hard to find a reason for the problem.

wouanagaine

What are the size of your Props1.dat and Props2.dat ?
Can you open thoses 2 files in Reader and tell us how many entries there are in ?
It looks like you're hitting some kind of upper limits, and I have to test for such limits as I don't know how DatPacker will behave when such limits are reached

New Horizons Productions

DFire870

Props 1.dat is 700 MB, and has 207457 entries. Props 2.dat is 786 MB, and has 231083 entries.

-- John

xxdita

That seems excessively huge for a file to work. I try to stick to no more than 200MB per dat. But I do agree with Wou, that further testing to find DatPacker's ceiling actually is, is in order. Since I'll be playing with DatPacker this week anyway, I can do some testing.

BarbyW

I have done some testing this morning. Normally I have my folders with individual files for lotting and a Plugins_Compressed for playing. This morning I packed together three folders into one - BSCProps, Model Packs and Models. The latter two contain the model packs made for non BSC members for the CAM and the individual models that we did not get permission to pack. I normally have these folders packed separately as 900MB, 624MB and 435MB respectively. In LE all the models for all the buildings and props show.
I packed all three folders into one dat of 1.85GB and had a lot of "superceded" files show including the ones shown in the following:

This was odd as I only have one set of Colyn's prop packs. Once I had packed the three folders into one I opened LE with the CAM buildings in plugins and there were no buildings showing at all. LE didn't report problems but no buildings showed and a lot of props were missing.
For future developments a way of copying the Warning/Info box to a text file would be useful as this might help pinpoint problems.

xxdita

Also, if possible, adding in what exactly the file was superceeded by, either in the main window, or at least the generated text file. This would help us figure out any problematic files or user errors.

Of course, ONLY after you've completed the XTool.  ;D

SC4BOY

The first part is already on the list (write window) .. may as well fill it out with the rest..(what was "superseed") ;)

wouanagaine

I will fix that ASAP
In fact I'm pretty sure that when I exceed some upper limit, some files are not packed, which wrongly displayed as 'superseed'

New Horizons Productions

xxdita

Perhaps putting back in the Use Less RAM option could be a fix for this?

DFire870

Oh good, I knew I wasn't going crazy. :P

The reason why I split my props folder into two was that in the readme for the DatPacker you stated that it would give problems with files over 1 GB.

Although I still wonder why it showed that the files were superseeded when I ran the DatPacker on all my folders, but didn't when I ran the DatPacker on each folder individually.

-- John

wouanagaine

Although I still wonder why it showed that the files were superseeded when I ran the DatPacker on all my folders, but didn't when I ran the DatPacker on each folder individually.
How you did that ?

New Horizons Productions

DFire870

Oh, I just took out all the folders out of my plugins folder instead of one, then ran the DatPacker. I then removed that folder, put another one in, ran the DatPacker, and repeated the whole thing until I was done.

-- John