• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Viceroyalty of Perseus

Started by belfastsocrates, May 17, 2014, 06:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

Good job with the university  &apls  I love the system of greenways and paths along the waterside  :thumbsup:

mgb204

Quote from: belfastsocrates on November 24, 2014, 03:49:50 AM
We really need some attractive GLR bridges in-game.

I'd settle for getting rid of the white textures, they just stand out no matter what you try.

Some great updates recently (been lurking) I really love what you are doing here and look forward to more.

belfastsocrates

Quote from: mgb204 on December 01, 2014, 10:33:21 AM
Quote from: belfastsocrates on November 24, 2014, 03:49:50 AM
We really need some attractive GLR bridges in-game.

I'd settle for getting rid of the white textures, they just stand out no matter what you try.

Some great updates recently (been lurking) I really love what you are doing here and look forward to more.

Well yeah that to! :)

Much more to come, it's a massive sprawling campus ;)

A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

kelis

Fantastic job with the university, keep up the good work  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

belfastsocrates

My sincere apologies for the lack of updates recently. December and January were so busy with Christmas, New Year and my annual skiing trip.

I've been working on Passau and spending hours in Lot Editor to afford me the pieces necessary to finish large parts of the Illford District and various university campus sites. I hope to have some in-game updates available very soon!

Thank you all for your continued support :)

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

belfastsocrates

The University of Passau's Biomedical and Life Sciences Campus is a recognised global centre of excellence and the focus of the University's research activities as well as being home to the Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, Biomedical and Biological Sciences. It's also home to the renowed Institute for Global Food Security, Centre for Advanced Materials Research, Nanotechnology Research Centre and the Life Sciences Core Technology Centre.

Uzil

kbieniu7

I really like all the squares and pedestrian zones and tram lines meandring among modern buildings :)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

mgb204

Always nice to see how you've put some of my mods to good use, I am usually too busy making stuff to spend enough time to produce cities like yours but they always provide some inspiration. As usual the open spaces provide an especially pleasing backdrop to the aesthetics of the buildings that surround them.

romualdillo

Great closeups to the university!! Beautiful urban spaces as always!!!  &apls

art128

On behalf of SC4Devotion's Of Special Interest This Month Committee, congratulations on being selected for March OSITM!  &apls

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

belfastsocrates

Thank you very much! I'm honoured to be awarded OSTIM and will use this wonderful opportunity to its fullest with a month of regular updates! :)

vortext

Congratulations!  &apls

Latest update was amazing so I'm looking forward to what you have in store for us this months!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

belfastsocrates

The so-called 'University Island', officially known as Carrick Island, is an island located in the River Carrick. Up until 1815 it was a large sandbank, the result of sediment build-up in the largely tidal Carrick River. The Passau City Corporation began reclamation work in 1815 and created a new area for development. The University of Passau were the first to acquire land and commence construction, the first buildings to be completed were the new University of Passau Science Library and Gregson Camera. The area remains an integral part of the University of Passau estate and houses important buildings such as the School of Law, Gilbert Scott Building and the recently completed Centre for Performing Arts.

Please click here for full size

Replies

@vortext - Goodness.....I've never been much of a diagonals fan as I never feel I can execute them well. I'm so pleased you liked them!

@Themistokles - That's so nice to hear. I've tried hard to make this university area attractive and I'm so happy people are enjoying it.

@romualdillo - Thank you very much :)

@noahclem - I'm a massive advocate of green space in cities and I try to add them to Passau whenever I can. I'm so glad you liked them.

@kelis - Thank you very much. Your comments are deeply appreciated given your own MD skills

@Uzil - Thank you :)

@kbieniu7 - Thank you! I'm so pleased you enjoyed the updates and thank for taking the time to comment, it's much appreciated.

@mgb204 - I bow to you and your mods. They have really helped me craft Passau and Perseus into something I really enjoy. I would love to see more of your MD work, I'm sure it's every much as fantastic as your modding work :)

@romualdillo - Thank you! I tried to build a campus I'd like my city to have and design it in a way that inspires learning and creativity. Hopefully I'm achieving that.

@vortext - Thank you very much! I'm honoured to be OSITM and I promise to deliver a range of varied updates which I hope you enjoy.

romualdillo

Great work as always!!! I love the gardens. The luxury hotels in the campus look strange to me, but I think they're conference oriented, aren't they? Touristic hotels there wouldn't work well, although the campus could be a tourist attraction by itself.

belfastsocrates

Passau Island's innovative new flood defences successfully tested

Conor Aston, Minister for Transport and Regional Development, was joined by James Bradbury, Minster for the Environment, to witness the first full-scale in situ test of the new automated tidal and storm surge defence barriers which will protect the Passau Island development. The barriers are the first automated sea defence system of it's kind in Perseus and it's hoped they will be installed along the sea frontage and tidal river sections of the wider Passau city region, a preliminary cost study is being undertaken to assess the full cost of such a city-wide system. Further studies will be undertaken to assess cost in other important coastal cities such as Axehaven.

Passau Island has been designed with rising sea levels and an increasing number of tidal surges in mind. The entire island is ringed by a linear parkland which has been planted with trees and plants which can survive flooding events and contamination of the soil by sea water using an innovative freshwater flushing system to remove excess salt. The linear park also acts as sacrificial land in times of small scale flooding and when combined with the barriers at full height affords protection of over 10 metres.

The barriers operate in conjunction with a series of sea buoys and a ring of various hydrological sensors that tell the system when to raise and lower the barriers. The barriers can operate at various heights up to a current maximum of 8 meters

When they aren't in operation the barriers are hidden within the quay embankment and don't restrict access in any form. The barriers which are built into the road surface of the new link bridge retract into the foundations allowing for an uncompromised road surface.

Passau Island is the largest land reclamation project ever undertaken in Perseus and once complete will provide tens of thousands of new homes and approximately 30 million square feet of new office space as well as new facilities such as a new cruise ship terminal and opera house. As reclaimed land it is vulnerable to tidal surges and the defence barriers were seen a high priority before construction activity reaches it's height.

Speaking at today's event the Minister for Transport and Regional Development, Conor Aston, praised the people and companies behind the project which he hailed it as a "fine example of Persusian technological advancement" and a one he was "keen to see expanded upon, not only in Passau but in coastal cities and towns across the country". He continued "The Persusian Government is fully committed to ensuring Perseus is capable of defending itself against rising sea levels and our flood and tidal defence infrastructure is a key priority area for my department"

vortext

Glad to know future Perseusians (Perseusiars?) are going to be high and dry. Wondering about the flooding danger for Carrick Island though, would be a shame if it were all washed away.

The island looks really great, though I'm not too sure about that marina .. Looks awfully tight and a bit out of place imho, some kind of sightseeing boat ride would be more suitable for the area. Other than that it's really well build!  &apls
time flies like a bird

belfastsocrates

I very rarely show 'unfinished' images but seeing this is a special month I thought I'd take the opportunity to give an insight into what work I'm currently undertaking to develop the city tile which is primarily occupied by the University of Passau and the various communities that surround it. I've been working in Lot Editor on the required buildings, facilities and landscaping for the new Sports Centre, it'll be a big development but it is planned to be a centre of excellence so it warrants a lot of work and scale.

I'll then probably work on the regional hospital and some of the high-tech industry and research buildings. I plan to use some 'converted warehouses' from the Victorian era as modern office buildings for tech start-ups and so on, maybe include former canals as features. I'll see how that goes......I may change that plan completely

I'm also keen to fill out the tile with residential and one or two golf courses. I may start doing that in a couple of months in tandem with some further retail/commercial development such as a massive shopping centre/mall.

Work on Passau Island is also on-going but that's on the back burner until I have the 'university tile' pretty much complete.

@romualdillo - Lots of conferences!  :D The university is also very close to the city centre with multiple transport connections so there are some tourists using it as a base, you'll see what I mean when I finishing compiling the massive city overview image, I agree though it looks a bit random currently, but there's a lot more planned for this city tile including Passau's Chinatown area and other attractions.

@Vortex - I have called them 'Persusians'   :)

I agree somewhat in regard to the Marina, it was originally intended to serve as the University of Passau's boat club with some additional space for locals to berth vessels. I may look at reconfiguring the layout. The location probably doesn't make much sense in the current images but maybe once I post the city overview it may make a bit more sense, the river it's located on flows directly into the sea. You've given me a constructive push though to consider a re-design to better fit it's role.

Thank you both for your continuing support, it's really appreciated.

art128

Some really nice work around here.
I'm curious about your regional hospital.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

vortext

Looking at the overview, that fountain poses somewhat of an additional obstacle for a proper marina. .  ::)  If the origin is tied to the university you might want to take a look at the Brixham Sculling Club, the main building doesn't have any water tiles so it can be placed along ingame water. Maybe there's a long standing tradition of student row competition around the island?  :)
time flies like a bird