• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramona Brie

I already have a full-blown transit system...I just ran a Big Dig highway/subway line through town (I could not build over town; it would create too much impact on the city), and had to nearly isolate the subway's south end from its north end and eliminate the Camelot River crossings to make it work. The freeway's going to have more problems in West Central and Far West, where the subways are less prevalent. At least I have Far East to build...and it will be built with the Camelot Freeway in mind.

floyd86s

hi guys! i want to ask for some help regarding to the NAm mod. it turns out that the mod makes my SC4 run unproperly, because many things happened since i've instaled it: for example, when i place light rail pieces (or other nam stuff) the game crashes, also the part of the screen wich is supposed to be all black or grey it becomes blue and also when i move around the city in pause mode i get some yellow stripes in the screen....and i know it's the nam mod because when i take it out from the plugins folder the game works just fine (i have 3gb in plugins installed).

So i would like anyone to help me and tell what do i have to do to make this mod work, because it's really awesome and i want it in my game!
maybe someone could tell me step by step which files to install and where to install them (i have the Rural highway mod, additional bridges, GRL original textures, and the nam file wich is 10mb), or maybe tell me wich plugins are compatible and wich are not because maybe it's that the issue.

i don't know really what's happening  Sad so everything you guys can tell me will help a lot!

thanks to all of you for taking time to read this and help me  thumbsup  Wink

CU

kit66

My diagonal streets don't seem to have street lights although zones and buildings are powered. Am I missing dependencies or is this normal?

Andreas

Quote from: kit66 on December 06, 2007, 08:39:31 PM
My diagonal streets don't seem to have street lights although zones and buildings are powered. Am I missing dependencies or is this normal?

This is "normal" - the NAM doesn't contain T21 exemplar files ("network lots") that put streetlights along the diagonals. smoncrie started to create a small mod ages ago, but it never got released or included into the NAM. He posted a beta at Simtropolis, but I don't know if it's still attached to his posting (and I don't know where to find it).
Andreas

kit66

Thanks for clarification, Andreas.

Would like to see some underground pedestrian crossing too!

In Singapore, there is a park connector concept that uses jogging tracks (usually along canals) to join parks (green lungs).

simplaya1234

Hi guys,

I have a problem about the RHW and its that why I can't connect one-way roads with RHW roads but then I can do that with the avenue roads. Like before I fixed the problems with the red tiles for SAM and avenue roundabouts and updating the RHW texture mod, I can fuse or connect one-way roads and RHW just fine. But after following the uninstalling-and-reinstalling-in-the-order told by the NAM team and updating the RHW texture, I can't connect one-way roads with RHWs. So can you tell me why?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: simplaya1234 on December 16, 2007, 04:00:35 PM
Hi guys,

I have a problem about the RHW and its that why I can't connect one-way roads with RHW roads but then I can do that with the avenue roads. Like before I fixed the problems with the red tiles for SAM and avenue roundabouts and updating the RHW texture mod, I can fuse or connect one-way roads and RHW just fine. But after following the uninstalling-and-reinstalling-in-the-order told by the NAM team and updating the RHW texture, I can't connect one-way roads with RHWs. So can you tell me why?

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1444.msg94457#msg94457

If you would have just looked one page back, you would have gotten your answer. ;)
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

simplaya1234

then thats great!!! but is it also going to include ramps for the RHW too and w/e neccessities for the next RHW patch?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: simplaya1234 on December 17, 2007, 04:24:58 PM
then thats great!!! but is it also going to include ramps for the RHW too and w/e neccessities for the next RHW patch?

Yes, the MIS ramps for the RHW will be in the next version.  If you have anymore questions about the MIS, please post them in the RHW thread since they aren't released just yet. ;)
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

SC4BOY

I am posting a "heads up" to this thread just for people's information.
I already mentioned this in the Datpacker thread, and a more thorough discussion is there if you wish to read it.

The jist of the conversation is this. There are some people working with the NAM who address updates and betas by making a .bak file in the NAM inside the plugins directory. The problem is that DatPacker reads this .bak file EXACTLY AS IF IT WERE A STANDARD NAM FILE! For this reason it is HIGHLY LIKELY that using the datpacker in a directory in which you have a .bak file will not yield the EFFECT YOU DESIRE.

You may address this by several methods including: 1. not using the datpacker on your NAM files 2. by moving the .bak file to another temporary directory (this can be a problem as the people who make the .bak file don't tell you that they are doing this), 3. or some other method (assumes you have some insight to the processes involved).

My point here is not to solve anything, but simply alert people so they won't have problems without being aware. Just note that datpacker DOES read a .bak file, Cleanitol DOES NOT remove or back up .bak files, and you should take some appropriate action based on this information.

wouanagaine

The .bak file is read before the .dat file ( which is ok ) so DatPacker will behave the same as SC4. SC4 also read the .bak file
The only problem which can arise ( beeing SC4 or SC4DatPacker ) is that the bak file contains more TGI Entries than the actual dat file. In that case the game will nonetheless use the extra tgi, which may not be what the original author wanted

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

SC4BOY

Quote from: wouanagaine on December 18, 2007, 07:49:10 AM
SC4 also read the .bak file

Wow.. nice added information!! I didn't know that! Always nice to know what's happening.. Thanks for dropping by to help keep me honest.. hehe

Andreas

Just as added bit of information: No final NAM plugin will contain or create any BAK or SAV files - those are only created as backup file during a test period (the BAK file in question was created by the SAM Beta installer), so it can be uninstalled without any hassle. This is a common procedure when dealing with software, BTW. Windows also uses certain DLL files as shared ressources (like the prop pack dependencies in SC4), and sometimes a program needs a newer version of such a file, which might not be compatible with the old one, once the program is uninstalled again.
Andreas

Diggis

jplumbley

I will quote my post in that thread here.  As it is of high relevance to Transit Mods and DAT Packing.

Quote from: jplumbley on December 16, 2007, 12:40:35 PM
I would like to point out one thing.

Do to the nature of Transit and other Complex Mods it is generally not a good idea to DAT Pack them.  NAM is a component that has been broken up into smaller files and there are too many older mods out there that can interfere with new versions of NAM which NAM has superseeded.  It is advisable that any Transit Mods should be installed as they are intended to be installed and not by any means DAT Packed.

As Andreas has stated, the NAM_Controller.bak file is the backup file of the JUNE 2007 NAM release of the NAM_Controller.dat.  During pre-release discussions with Andreas we had decided to make this automatically happen with the SAM Installer, just in case something went wrong and SAM had to be Recalled.  Obviously, most of the project went according to plan and there were only a few minor slips.

AGAIN!!!  Major MODS such as NAM shoud NOT be DAT packed.  There are simply too many older files that can cause issues.  It is imperative that you make a MODs Folder where all of your MODs should be held and not DAT packed.  You never know what can happen.

Now, LOTs, BATs and Prop Packs are safe to DAT pack and by all means do so, it will save you much aggravation, but be mindful of what you are DAT packing and making one big DAT of your entire plugins is not always the way to do it.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Andreas

Quote from: Diggis on December 18, 2007, 09:54:21 AM
Umm, but isn't name technically always in Beta?  :P

Well, the June 2007 NAM was the first that didn't carry the name "Beta" anymore. :)
Andreas

geoffhaw

Both the Avenue Roundabout and Diagonal Street Helper buttons don't seem to work in my game.  The cursor shows up in red wherever I hover it, and when I press the tab key nothing happens.  What have I done wrong?

Andreas

You have another plugin installed that conflicts with the current NAM Controller. In the past, some people released transit-related mods that included a copy of the central RUL file (which is also contained in the current NAM Controller), but there can only be one of these files. Try to rename the NAM folder with a "z_", so it's loaded last. If it works now, try to find the conflicting plugin and remove it from your plugins folder (and if it's not included in the Cleanitol list, please let us know, so we can add it).
Andreas

geoffhaw

whoops!  How embarassing!  It looks like I had two versions of the NAM in my plugins...

Everything's OK now!  Thanks Andreas.

A200

Just a quick question

I have the euro road texture mod installed, and the NAM installed with the turning lanes plugin activated, but the intersections all still have the yellow  road lines... if you get what I mean.

So how can I get the euro road mod to work with the turning lanes plugin, or should i just remove the plugin and have no turning lanes...?