• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How to Create a Wide Ped Mall Crossing under a Highway

Started by z, March 01, 2010, 03:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z

The NAM contains a very convenient puzzle piece for placing a ped mall piece under a highway.  But what if you want a ped mall crossing that's more than one tile wide?  For example, suppose you want something like this:

It's not obvious how to do this, and it's actually somewhat tricky.  This is a step-by-step guide for creating ped mall crossings of arbitrary width underneath highways.

First, we start off with a standard elevated highway.  The ped mall pieces in front are there simply for reference; they aren't necessary for this procedure.

Next, we bulldoze the rightmost square of the highway that we want to use for the underpass, plus at least one square beyond it:

We could have bulldozed more than one square to the right; in fact, the whole right hand side of the highway is unnecessary for this exercise.  But the left hand side must be positioned exactly as described.  (As you might expect, if you reverse right and left completely in every step in this guide, that will work too.)

Next, we select the ped mall under highway puzzle piece.  This is the last puzzle piece in the ped mall tab ring (at least as of this writing), so you can easily get to it by clicking on the ped mall piece and then pressing Shift+Tab.  We then position it into place where we want it:

Notice that in the preview image, it appears that it's going to join up with the highway on the left.  But when we click it into place, it doesn't:

Next, we demolish exactly one more pair of tiles at the front of the highway on the left:

Once again, we select and place the ped mall under highway puzzle piece:

Again, it seems that it will join up with the highway on the left, but as we click it into place, we see that it doesn't:

We can continue this process as long as we want, creating arbitrarily wide ped mall crossings under the highway.  We can even make them dozens of squares long!  :o  But the highway over the ped mall pieces has no supports, and if it gets too long, it will look a little strange.  ???

Once we are ready to place our final highway piece, we bulldoze two pairs of tiles from the highway on the left:

Now we place the final piece.  Here is the way it should look when it is properly positioned:

And here is how it looks when it is placed:

Since we bulldozed some extra room from the left side highway this time, the puzzle piece now extends into a draggable standard highway piece on the next square.  The regular highway tool can now be used to join up both sides of the overpass with the rest of the highway, and the result can be seen in the first picture in this post.

b22rian

thanks a lot steve, for this very informative and useful tutorial :)
i plan on trying this out for myself, later on after work, for sure !

brian

sumwonyuno

Great tutorial, z!  It makes me want to experiment with the puzzle pieces.   :thumbsup:

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!