• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

There is this city that perplexes and frustrates me because . . .

Started by Pythias900KMB, September 10, 2018, 11:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pythias900KMB

Many salutations, SimCity 4 Devotion!!!  I hope that you are all doing fantastic.  A few days ago, I finished the replacement of a certain city's Maxis Highway network with the RealHighway which includes realigning a few avenues, reconfiguring HSR viaducts over the highway, and revising several RCI blocks.  I am going for a large city with Co$$ and I-HT along with R$$$; to this end, I am forcing the R$$ sims out so I can place residential zones near the bay in the southeast of the landform.  What is driving me batty is that the Residential Sims continue to be angry at me even though I am so generous with the amenities and the emergency responder services.  All six of the Opinion polls are in the green; still, the overall Mayor Rating remains several bars of red.  How am I to turn this around so my city can start to make money on its own again and have a large R$$$ population?

mrbisonm

Wait a year or two, sometimes it takes time for the Sims to realize that everything is fine.........the game sometimes acts strangely and slowly to sudden changes. ;)

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Pythias900KMB

This screen cap shows the problem I am facing with my SimCitizens after I renovated their highway system along with several of their RCI areas.  This the Mayor Rating data view.  I have made certain to pour on the amenities -- parks, hospitals, schools, emergency responder services . . . the whole nine yards; still, this does not budge very much.

The second screen cap is a more localized view of the problem.  The R$$ sims being angry about me forcing them to leave the city is understandable; still, the R$$$ sims taking their place are also equally upset.  What gives?

Pythias900KMB

There is a lot of desirable land for R$$$ development as you can see from the first screen capture and I am renovating the neighborhood by the bay to be at the same elevation and be real nice when I am finished.  The second screen capture shows all six of the opinion polls in the green; still, fat a lot of good that does me with the global mayor rating.  Please help me . . .

Andreas

Since I'm not a native English speaker, I don't know what all the advisor's messages say in detail, but the ones about the hospital's pockets picked sounds like they're low on funds, which certainly leads to a bad mayor rating, just as the "big time traffic problems" on your roads. Driving out the R$$ folks isn't such a good idea, since they are the base of your income. Yes, R$$$ residents pay more taxes, but a city with rich sims only won't work, they're way too picky when it comes to traffic and all kinds of amenities.

From my experience, a functional city shouldn't have more than 10-20% of rich sims, and when the R$$$ demand is too high, I rather raise the R$$$ taxes in order to keep those out, since they're pretty much a guarantee for a collapsing transit system (they hardly ever take public transportation, which is THE backbone of every large city). Your nifty HSR system will be pretty much useless, and a RHW network might look cool, but doesn't really help with local commuting.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to ask: To what value did you set the taxes? High taxes have a huge influence on the mayor rating, so you should make sure to set them juuust high enough to turn a certain demand bar into slightly negative numbers for stopping that development. Never use values like 20%, that will kill your city for sure.
Andreas

Pythias900KMB

Gratitude for your prompt and insightful reply, Andreas.   It has never crossed my mind that my R$$ and R$$$ sims are dead set on the idea of being neighbors in the same city and that they of course would be sour on trying to top-tax them out of the city.  Looks like I will have to go eat a slice of humble pie and revise my tax policy of only allowing R$$$, Co$$, and I-HT.

Most of my experience is that Residential sims of different wealth levels make for bad neighbors that should be housed in different cities; still, that policy makes the sustainment of a thriving business district rather difficult.  Exempli gratia, Hi-tech industry is supposed to be the wealthiest of all the Industrial developers; still, 80% of its workforce is R$$ with the remaining 20% evenly divided between R$ and R$$$ sims.  I am also trying to develop a large I-HT district in the pictured city; unfortunately, I am not getting much of anywhere with that even with the water service and the parks (which are starting to be rather costly).

APSMS

Keep in mind that if you haven't patched the game with the I-HT fix or aren't using the CAM, then R$$$ won't work in the HT facilities due to a game bug, but those firms will still create demand for the R$$$ development, leading to high-wealth unemployment and dissatisfaction, as well as dilapidation.

You do need to make sure all your services aren't over capacity as well, which some of those news tickers are suggesting. If a clinic or school keeps bugging you, the game might be wigging out over it so best bet if it's already well-funded and under-capacity, is to demolish it and place a new one in a slightly different location, as over-capacity services will hurt your rating more than no services at all.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Pythias900KMB

Quote from: APSMS on September 15, 2018, 05:54:17 PM
Keep in mind that if you haven't patched the game with the I-HT fix or aren't using the CAM, then R$$$ won't work in the HT facilities due to a game bug, but those firms will still create demand for the R$$$ development, leading to high-wealth unemployment and dissatisfaction, as well as dilapidation.

You do need to make sure all your services aren't over capacity as well, which some of those news tickers are suggesting. If a clinic or school keeps bugging you, the game might be wigging out over it so best bet if it's already well-funded and under-capacity, is to demolish it and place a new one in a slightly different location, as over-capacity services will hurt your rating more than no services at all.

First of all, gratitude for your prompt response, APSMS.  Your mention of an I-HT fix provides a clue about why the R$$$ sims are angry with me in spite of all the hard work I have done on their behalf; still, I would like you to please elaborate with greater context.

Schools/hospitals becoming over capacity is a problem that I am not slow to acknowledge and redress.  I also have problems with the water and electricity not getting to random sections of the city even though there is plenty of production capacity and transport infrastructure.  What I really need is for those I-HT zones to grow so I have some more tax revenue to work with . . .

Well, there has not been any storms for a while so I will go galvanize my desktop and open up the game.

Andreas

If you have troubles with proper water and power distribution in your city despite having a proper power line and water pipe grid, then the only reason I could think of is tampering with your utilities maintenance budget. Never ever use anything other than 100% funding for them! You can adjust the budget of the power plants and waste-to-energy plants according to the current demand, just like with schools and hospitals, but do not lower any other budget (including police, fire departments, garbage collection etc.), this will only wreak havoc in your city.
Andreas

huzman

« Essayez d'apprendre quelque chose sur tout et tout sur quelque chose. »
             « Try to learn something about everything and everything about something »
                          « Trata de aprender algo sobre todo y todo sobre algo »
                                                                                                    — Thomas Henry Huxley

Andreas

Yeah, those are the two that you can adjust according to the current demand, just like the power plants. Everything else... better not.
Andreas

Pythias900KMB

I have installed the Colossus Amendment Module and now have a healthy Hi-Tech Industrial district; still, my Residential Sims continue to be angry at me.  On a wild hunch, I decided to activate the Radiation data view and, well . . . behold the attached screen capture.  This is a hefty bit of insight; still, what can I do about it?  What kind of radiological accident occurred to cause this?

Andreas

This is normal, there are a few buildings in SC4 that emit radiation. If you don't like that or think it's unrealistic, search for the "No Radiation Reward" mod at the STEX.
Andreas

Pythias900KMB

Quote from: Andreas on September 29, 2018, 12:35:44 AM
This is normal, there are a few buildings in SC4 that emit radiation. If you don't like that or think it's unrealistic, search for the "No Radiation Reward" mod at the STEX.
I seriously doubt that there is a reason for the Disease Research Center to emit radiation as SOP, Andreas.  That sounds like something for the NAM team to investigate.

But back to this.  Radiation is a development desirability headache that takes 100 centuries to dissipate; since I do not have that kind of time, I am thinking of obliterating the city and starting over again.  I appreciate all who came to assist me.

mattb325

I can assure you that the Disease Research Center emits radiation as SOP. There is no need for additional investigation by individuals or teams.

It's always been that way: when I made an alternative disease research center I years ago I deliberately excluded radiation, and when I included that fact in the description I received comments from people that were also unaware that the Maxis version emitted radiation.

fantozzi

SOP?

subject - object - predicate sentence?
semester opening party?

()what() ??? ()what()

Please excuse me, what are you discussing exactly?

Is it an argument on nuclear medicine?

Andreas

I think SOP means "Standard Operating Procedure", so the radiation is the standard that Maxis set for this building (probably nuclear medicine indeed, as you mentioned). I had to chuckle a bit about the suggestion that the NAM team should investigate that, as if they're the ultimate "healers" of the game (obviously, their skills are legendary alright!). ;)

BTW, Pythias900KMB, it's not necessary that you open a new thread for any problem that you run into, esp. not if it was discussed in another thread already. There are not that many topics here, so the regulars keep track of those that are current, and you should get an answer soon. Keep in mind that it might take a while, since there are people from all over the world here, who visit the site at different times according to their schedule and naturally, their time zone as well.
Andreas

jeffryfisher

Quote from: huzman on September 16, 2018, 08:06:49 AM
Hospitals and Education can be tweaked, tho... Right?
Plus airport and seaport funding. Ports can be extremely expensive and way over capacity when you first build one in a city. They don't have their own sliders, so you have to go to the budget dialog and click on "transport" to get at the types. Leave roads at 100%. Just bring the ports into line with usage.
Modding PC games since 1993 (back when we needed hex-editors)