• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Questions regarding pavement, landmarks and water

Started by imoutofusernameideas, February 11, 2016, 02:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imoutofusernameideas

Hey everyone,

I have three questions regarding different subjects. Since I'm new to this game, I thought that these questions probably have very simple answers, so I thought I'd post them all in one thread.

1. We all know that pavements along a road or street will only appear when lots are placed next to it. But I was planning to place a landmark surrounded by pedestrian malls and on the other side of the road there is only a park - a natural one I might add, so no "real" park found in the park menu. This obviously does not trigger the pavement textures to appear and there is a little piece of diagonal road, so there are a few grass triangles around the ped malls. Is there any way to force the pavements to appear?

2. The landmark in question has already been placed but it immediately becomes vacant. Its menu does not say that it's vacant however, it just "looks" abandoned so there is no reason listed (as in: abandoned due to lack of power or such). Could this have anything to do with my residential number? Do landmarks only flourish when achieving a certain population? (Population is quite low at the moment, so I thought perhaps this has something to do with there being not enough demand for a landmark or something along those lines.)

3. Is it possible to place a lot (partly) on water? To be more specific: I'm planning to place the London eye, which is partly built on water IRL. Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Andreas

1. You could try the "invisible zone" trick. Pick a zone that would provide the desired pavement, then press CTRL and draw a zone across the road. The pavement should show up, but the zone next to the road should be invisible. This might need a bit of trial and error, but maybe you can create the desired effect.

2. Functional landmarks provide jobs, and therefore will abandon when your city can't support them yet. Check if there is a pure eye-candy landmark, and if not, you could make one yourself with the help of some modding tools like PIM-X.

3. Lots that are partially in the waters can be made with the Lot Editor; the in-game beach works like that. You need to define some "water tiles" and "land tiles", then such a lot should plop fine at a shore.
Andreas

imoutofusernameideas

Hey Andreas, thank you for your help.

I think I'll give the invisible lot thing a try.

As for the second answer: as far as I know, the landmark in question (frogface's Buckingham Palace) is not functional; at least it does not show any available jobs in its stats.

3. Thanks, I'll try that. Hopefully I won't mess up the lot.

Andreas

2. Maybe there's something wrong with the modding, I'd have to check out the file for that.

3. Make a backup of the lot in any case, then you can start over if something goes wrong. :)
Andreas

imoutofusernameideas

I don't know; I always check out the comments before downloading something and it seems nobody is experiencing the same issue. Dependencies are all present, btw.