• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

I want to spread my wings into availing a Single-Point Interchange; still . . .

Started by Pythias900KMB, July 21, 2018, 09:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pythias900KMB

Many salutations, everyone!  As is suggested by the title, I have decided to take the plunge into availing a Single-Point Interchange.  in the city I am working on, there is an east-west highway that runs for a long distance with two avenues close together to where I cannot make them both into proper Diamond Interchanges.  I once had an Inside Diamond Interchange on one of these avenues that had gotten really crowded to where I could barely stand to watch.

In any case, things are not going according to plan as you can see from the accompanying screen captures.  Any and all counsel about what to do next is greatly appreciated.

APSMS

Wait until the NAM updates them to P57 spec.

Until then getting them to work for you is hit or miss at best. I'd recommend with either using a Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI), which you can pass over the highway using elevated OWR, or doing a higher capacity diamond. The SPUI is basically on hold until whenever the NAM team can get around to addressing its shortcomings and updating it for the modern NAM.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

mgb204

Certainly there are huge stability issues with these pieces, because changes elsewhere in the code prevent a lot of setups from working as intended. That said, I believe that trying to run RHW-6S under the SPUI is hindering your progress here, because that network has the biggest change since implementation of the SPUI's. Perhaps consider use of D1 or even B2 ramps before/after the SPUI so that RHW-4 runs between the On/Off ramps, that might be enough to make it work. However, there is not guarantee the SPUI's will work at all, if all else fails, the DDI APSMS mentions is a probably your best alternative.

Pythias900KMB

Quote from: mgb204 on July 21, 2018, 08:33:39 PM
Certainly there are huge stability issues with these pieces, because changes elsewhere in the code prevent a lot of setups from working as intended. That said, I believe that trying to run RHW-6S under the SPUI is hindering your progress here, because that network has the biggest change since implementation of the SPUI's. Perhaps consider use of D1 or even B2 ramps before/after the SPUI so that RHW-4 runs between the On/Off ramps, that might be enough to make it work. However, there is not guarantee the SPUI's will work at all, if all else fails, the DDI APSMS mentions is a probably your best alternative.

Funny that you mention that, mgb . . . (points at the attached screen captures).  I am having a rough time getting an Avenue viaduct with the DDI.  Any ideas?

Postscript:  The use of D2 ramps is on the table

APSMS

@Pythias: There are two problems here, the first of which being that the inside of the DDI is drawn out with OWR, and in the wrong orientation (so the OWR goes on the wrong side compared to an avenue connection.

The second problem is that unlike the Flex SPUI, the DDI pieces are basically puzzle pieces with stubs which means that they have to be placed on solid ground at the height you want. Then you would use OWR on-slope pieces (in the opposite orientation) to connect the intersection over the RHW.

Because this is a DDI, keep in mind that in the middle of the intersection, traffic will be traveling on the wrong side of the road compared to a normal diamond interchange, which means that you cannot use elevated Avenue viaducts to connect the middle.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Pythias900KMB

Quote from: APSMS on July 22, 2018, 09:10:36 PM
@Pythias: There are two problems here, the first of which being that the inside of the DDI is drawn out with OWR, and in the wrong orientation (so the OWR goes on the wrong side compared to an avenue connection.

The second problem is that unlike the Flex SPUI, the DDI pieces are basically puzzle pieces with stubs which means that they have to be placed on solid ground at the height you want. Then you would use OWR on-slope pieces (in the opposite orientation) to connect the intersection over the RHW.

Because this is a DDI, keep in mind that in the middle of the intersection, traffic will be traveling on the wrong side of the road compared to a normal diamond interchange, which means that you cannot use elevated Avenue viaducts to connect the middle.
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

APSMS, anybody can easily research the background data about the Diverging Diamond you just explained.  What I want answered is how to elevate the Diverging Diamond 15 meters into a viaduct above the RHW.

mgb204

The DDI does not include an elevated variant such as the SPUI. However, if you raise the land where you place the DDI pieces, along with using On-Slope pieces for the OWR, and where desired other, connections, you can use it as such.

The easiest solution is to use ramps to take the highway over the DDI however.

Pythias900KMB

Quote from: mgb204 on July 23, 2018, 12:31:02 PM
The DDI does not include an elevated variant such as the SPUI. However, if you raise the land where you place the DDI pieces, along with using On-Slope pieces for the OWR, and where desired other, connections, you can use it as such.

The easiest solution is to use ramps to take the highway over the DDI however.

mgb, I have done a lot of terraforming to get my city to what it is and I also got rid of a military-trained neurotic neat freak home service attendant that wasted a lot of expensive household chemicals that are a pain in the ass and a half to replace; if you had no idea how to get the SPUI and the DDI to cooperate, I wish that you had simply said so.

Tarkus

Quote from: Pythias900KMB on July 23, 2018, 06:53:52 AM
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

APSMS, anybody can easily research the background data about the Diverging Diamond you just explained.  What I want answered is how to elevate the Diverging Diamond 15 meters into a viaduct above the RHW.

Quote from: Pythias900KMB on July 23, 2018, 08:08:24 PM
if you had no idea how to get the SPUI and the DDI to cooperate, I wish that you had simply said so.

Stepping into this conversation as a NAM Team developer, both mgb204 and APSMS were simply presenting possible workarounds in dealing with the SPUI and DDI content as it exists in the current version of the NAM, that would allow you to do some semblance of what you're envisioning without having to wait for whatever may or may not come in future NAM releases.

Now, putting on my (metaphorical) hat as an SC4D Admin, I believe their responses were quite reasonable and in character with their reputations as helpful community members who have a high level of knowledge about the NAM and its workings (APSMS is a long-time NAM Associate, and mgb has been a NAM developer for 3 years, in addition to the RTMT lead.)  I would caution you to be less dismissive of people who can help you in your endeavors going forward.

-Alex

mgb204

Quote from: Pythias900KMB on July 23, 2018, 08:08:24 PM
mgb, I have done a lot of terraforming to get my city to what it is and I also got rid of a military-trained neurotic neat freak home service attendant that wasted a lot of expensive household chemicals that are a pain in the ass and a half to replace; if you had no idea how to get the SPUI and the DDI to cooperate, I wish that you had simply said so.

I think you misunderstand me somewhere.

So the SPUI has an elevated option, which is activated when you place a L0-L2 ramp next to the Highway On/Off ramps of the SPUI. It is this functionality the DDIs lack. However, what both myself and APSMS have explained is that you can elevate the DDI, but you must elevate the actual land where you will place the piece. Then using the usual combinations of Ramps/On-Slopes, you will be able to create a DDI which goes over RHW successfully:

Using the newer pieces, it's possible to do this at L1 as I've done here. You really want to get the On-Slope pieces in place BEFORE you add the DDI pieces. Otherwise you won't be able to make your interchange as compact. The DDI's can be placed only 1 tile away from the on-slopes and will actually convert them to Ave/OWR when plopped. Use a 6x6 section of elevated land/embankment to place the DDIs, you can always trim these later.

Note the use of B2 ramps to bring the RHW-6S through the overpass as RHW-4. Not necessary, but lines up better with the DDI and exactly what I was talking about for use with the SPUI. I can't show you that since the LHD SPUIs are totally kaput and won't even elevate. But as of NAM35 at least, the RHD SPUIs could be cajoled into working with certain setups.