• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

From Schmotenton to New Portland - the rise (and possible fall) of Bran Castle

Started by siemanthepieman, August 05, 2016, 10:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brick_mortimer

Happy to see a new update of your MD.
Thanks to strict IT-security SC4devotion is now a banned website at work, so I missed a lot of updates during my lunch break surfing  :angrymore:

So I didn't see your poll, but I'm glad you decided to follow your original plan and show us more suburbs (unpaved roads and all :) )before you show further progress of the entire region  :thumbsup:
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

siemanthepieman

REPLIES

brick_mortimer
: Glad to see you are still enjoying my MD, even if you have to follow along from home now - someone needs to have a word with your boss about safe-for-work internet browsing! You, and others, who are concerned for my Sims with the lack of 'black top' in my region should find a little relief in this update.

UPDATE 28: SUBURBITON (IN PROGRESS)
Those of you who have been following along might remember Suburbiton, or the station at least, from update 11.3. The suburb developed hand-in hand with the station, which was built in the mid to late 60's.  We ended up with a small commercial hub and a couple of residential areas and a nice big car park that saw it become a popular 'park and ride' location halfway between Bran Castle and the industries of the Port.

Apart from one tiny residential street at the outskirts of the suburb and the large group of homes 'across the tracks' back toward Midguard, it was the region's first suburb outside old town and the CBD entirely with sealed roads!

28.1: An overview of the whole suburb

28.2: The little row of homes that developed just across from the parking area for the station and at the entrance to the suburb off the highway was generally regarded as the suburb's finest strip of houses. Initially the noise from the railway was a problem, but the residents got together and formed a little cooperative to build a substantial stone wall to block out much of the noise. The guy in the mansion to the top right of the picture chipped in a substantial extra sum to see the project completed after recurrent delays and difficulties sourcing appropriate stone saw some significant costs blowouts.

28.3: Suburbiton laid claim to the region's first under rail street tunnel. It ducked down under the rails on the station side ...

28.4: ... and popped up again to spit cars out into the commercial area on the other side of the tracks.

28.5: The commercial area allowed a small amount of midrise residential development and the influence of the King's Japanese wife was evident in the style of street employed through the area.

28.6: An urban vegetation program helped tart up the entire area.

SUBURBITON BY FACTS AND FIGURES (circa 1985):

To follow

Mayor:
Deputy Mayor:
Number of Councillors:
Population:
Average Age:
Average Household Income:
Mode Education Level:   
Jobs:
Council Jobs:
Primary Industry/Tax Division:
Notable Features:

Shield/Crest:

vortext

been lurking way too long .  .  :-[

reason being I kick back, read neat little stories and enjoy watching development - the spacious and organic layout is marvellous.  &apls

Also appreciate the stats, and wouldnt mind seeing a regional view sometime!  ;)  :thumbsup:

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

brick_mortimer

Quote from: siemanthepieman on February 23, 2018, 01:58:11 PM
...You, and others, who are concerned for my Sims with the lack of 'black top' in my region should find a little relief in this update...
You'll put the carwash out of business with all the paving :D

Joking aside, I love the use of FLUPS and the commercial area next to the railway station.

I always try to develop an entire region as organically as possible (not only economically/financially, but also geographically) and your MD is inspiring.
But I never tried this at such a large scale as you are doing  :thumbsup:

kbieniu7

Quote from: brick_mortimer on February 23, 2018, 05:10:50 PM
Quote from: siemanthepieman on February 23, 2018, 01:58:11 PM
...You, and others, who are concerned for my Sims with the lack of 'black top' in my region should find a little relief in this update...
You'll put the carwash out of business with all the paving :D

...with producers of wellington boots aside  ;D

I agree, the "organics" is the strong point of your MD. Could we call it a "BIO region" now? :D

Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

siemanthepieman

REPLIES: vortex, brick_mortimer and kbieniu - Thanks for the kind words. I'm always jealous of those who can meticulously plan and then execute a picture perfect city from the start. I'm glad my inability to do so is being enjoyed by some!

UPDATE 29 - RIDGE PARK

Ridge Park is a long skinny little suburb squeezed between Lesser New Portland Ridge and Ridgeland Industrial Park.

It was always intended to be a garden suburb, King Schmo figured it would need to be in order to offset the fact it was tucked in behind a massive industrial park and not very conveniently located to the rest of the suburbs and main commercial districts.

29.1 - Of course, it started off fairly barren:

29.2 - In some places, the garden suburb intention was clear, what else could this open space become other than a beautiful public park?

29.3 - It did have a nice backdrop, on one side of the suburb at least!

Initially, the Mayor of Ridge Park was going to go for a 'free form' planting and pathing plan (read: MMP and God Mode trees and paths). But shortly after Ridge Park was conceived, he stumbled across an old Mayor's Diary in the Bran Castle library that had recently had an updated edition released and was inspired to try to his hand at building a number of purpose built lots to fit every conceivable park space in the suburb. And thanks to Thundercrack and his awesome diary of the creation of the region of Marathon, I thought I'd bring you along for the ride by posting a few updates as I work through lotting up the parks and placing them in the suburb of Ridge Park. So stay tuned...

PaPa-J

Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

brick_mortimer

Ah another beautiful suburb from the realm of king Schmo :)

Have you tried the new WRC for the different SAM streets yet?
I think they would make your garden suburb look even smoother.

Looking forward to your experiments with the new lots :thumbsup:

siemanthepieman

REPLIES:

korver and Papa-J:Thanks

brick_mortimer: I discovered the rural roads smooth curve puzzle pieces at some point during my agricultural expansion (which is still a few updates away) and have since discovered the draggable WRC's. I'm torn between smoothing out the sharp bends and not demolishing the houses that reside on them. I'm sure you'll see them creep into my older suburbs as time goes on.

UPDATE 30

This is really just a request for tips. I don't how you 'lotters' do it. After what feels like hours (admittedly not weeks, part of it is I haven't had much time to play lately), I've got my placeholders laid out (12 lots in all) ...

30.1 - Ridge Park is based around an old fort/castle, converted in a play space.

30.2 - With some walking trails and other play equipment.

But I'm struggling to work out how to fill them. What is the best way to see what props I've got? Surely no one does what I have been doing and just scrolls endlessly through the list of props in the LE clicking what sounds like it might suit from the description and hoping it does? I'll see my little project through, but, boy, I can see why MMP's have become popular.

huzman

Siemanthepieman: This a double slam for me: 1)the Dirt Roads as I'm working on (with) them and all those 1x1 houses both straight and diagonal. Besides enjoying all these posts, I'm learning from them. So, buckets and buckets of congratulations !!!

Of course I have tec questions but I'm not sure if this is here where I should put them. I will wait some feed back about it.

Keep up the good work!
« Essayez d'apprendre quelque chose sur tout et tout sur quelque chose. »
             « Try to learn something about everything and everything about something »
                          « Trata de aprender algo sobre todo y todo sobre algo »
                                                                                                    — Thomas Henry Huxley

brick_mortimer

Yeah I know the pain when you might have to destroy buildings / setups that took a while to grow...
But then again: Kill your darlings  :P

Did I understand it correct that Ridge Park is your own creation?
If so, you have more courage / patience than I. I only use the LE to remove / realign props :D

About those props. If I'm not mistaken, the LE only uses the props you have in your pluginsfolder.
So If you only leave 1 proppack in your plugins before you open LE, you'll have a smaller list to choose from.

art128

An interesting thing you can do also, is use the PIMX instead of the LE. It's a bit of a longer, harder learning curve as it takes a while to get use to, but it's much better. It lets you preview the props instead of having a list of names like that.

Be warned though that it should not be used with a full plugin folder, only keep in your plugin what you really want to use with it.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

siemanthepieman

UPDATE 31

Work on Ridge Park's grand park carries on.

It's slow going (open lot editor, edit lots, close out, open SC4, realise something doesn't align/didn't save, close out, repeat).

31.1 - But it's satisfying seeing your vision come to life (within the limitations of your ability!)

31.2 - And as I start to get the hang of it, I'm starting to enjoy myself more and more.

And I'm already tempted to jump back into the BAT to try to make a big overhanging diagonal hedge prop so that I can get the diagonal hedges right up against the road.

PaPa-J

Quote from: siemanthepieman on May 13, 2018, 05:12:36 AM
And I'm already tempted to jump back into the BAT to try to make a big overhanging diagonal hedge prop so that I can get the diagonal hedges right up against the road.

That would be quite nice to see.
smile more, laugh more,
about things.

brick_mortimer

It's indeed satisfying seeing your vision come to life.
Keep up the good work!

siemanthepieman

REPLIES: Thanks PaPa-J and brick_mortimer. The last few times I've had a chance to get into the game I've just felt like playing. So I'm returning to my MD proper for this update so you can see where I've been working - Newland was left as a blank canvas for many sim years. Ground has broken now!

Huzman - Sorry, I missed your post following my last update. I'm not sure if there is some forum rule/policy against tech questions in MDs but if not, then I'm more than happy for you to ask about anything you see in my posts that might be able to assist you in building your own city.

UPDATE 32 - Newland, Cowandilla and Banksia Park

This is a tripartite update taking in three suburbs.

NEWLAND

Until 1982, Newland was nothing more than land set aside for a relatively high density, primarily residential suburb to help fuel Ridgeland Industrial Park (which you can just see to the top of picture) with workers. The King actually appointed himself mayor and the Royal Reeve as his deputy in 'placeholder' appointments. Primarily he wanted to ensure that there were strong transport links to Ridgeland Indistrial Park and that the suburb otherwise remained largely cut off from the other surrounding suburbs to ensure the industrial park presented the most attractive work location by quite some margin when people started moving in.

NEWLAND BY FACTS AND FIGURES (circa 1982):

Mayor: King Schmo
Deputy Mayor: the Royal Reeve
Number of Councillors: 0
Population: 0
Average Age: N/A
Average Household Income:N/A
Mode Education Level: N/A
Jobs: 0
Council Jobs: 0
Primary Industry/Tax Division: N/A
Notable Features: Vast emptiness

Shield/Crest: N/A

COWANDILLA

Cowandilla wasn't much of a suburb until after Burbank really started to fill in in from the mid to late sixties. Development was further fuelled by Banksia Park to the east (see below to see Banksia Park in all its glory). It was named after a small suburb in metropolitan Adelaide in South Australia, which is probably just like a million other small suburbs around the world - a small commercial hub, a couple of small schools, scurvy or two and a few parks amongst lots of unassuming homes on small eight-acre blocks. Over the next 20 years or so it just sort of popped up and then sat there.

COWANDILLA BY FACTS AND FIGURES (circa 1987):

Mayor: John Trainer
Deputy Mayor: Colton Buchannon
Number of Councillors: 8
Population: 1,675
Average Age: 31
Average Household Income: $66,000.00
Mode Education Level: Diploma Level Trade/Vocational Qualification
Jobs: 80
Council Jobs: 12
Primary Industry/Tax Division: Residential
Notable Features: Forest Bend

Shield/Crest:

BANKSIA PARK

Banksia Park barely existed in 1968 but it's full footprint was in place by 1976. This was despite the fact it didn't have its train station in place until 1980.

32.3 - At the start, Banksia Park was accessed by local street connections only.

32.4 - Without so much as even a week of public consultations, the main connector was severed and several houses demolished in December 1978. Whilst everyone knew it was the King on one of his transportational whims, no one knew quite what was up.

32.6 - It didn't take long for the King's workmen to leave a little clue.

32.7 - And by 1980, no one (except those who actually lost their homes) was even sad about the inconvenience and destruction of 1978. A brand new 6 line terminus station will keep a neighbourhood happy!

32.8 - THe new station lead to improved commerce and some upgraded arterial roads

32.9 - The new station lead also spurred a refurbished plaza from the main station the smaller one to the north. Talk about prime commercial real estate. All of Bansia Park's most high end businesses and boutiques line this strip.

32.10 - Banksia Park Public High had lovely grounds.

32.11 - The suburb enjoyed a number of small commercial strips/hubs away from those centred around the two stations.

32.12 - Here you can see the Mayor's interesting choice of Japanese inspired mansion directly across from the large station

32.15 - The suburb had a beautiful little church, and the parish priest enjoyed a nice home in a lovely setting to the rear.

32.16 - An overview shot, circa 1984 Banksia Park in 1984

BANKSIA PARK BY FACTS AND FIGURES (circa 1984):

Mayor: Marcus Newland
Deputy Mayor: Frances Makin
Number of Councillors: 16
Population: 2,455
Average Age: 27
Average Household Income: $57,000
Mode Education Level: High School Graduate
Jobs: 1,685
Council Jobs: 78
Primary Industry/Tax Division: Residential/High Wealth Commercial Boutique
Notable Features: Terminus Station, commercial plaza, interesting mayor's house, large and well regarded public high school, quaint church, expansive woodland surrounds

Shield/Crest:

siemanthepieman

PRELUDE TO UPDATE 33 - FOREST'S END

I didn't realise how long it was since my last update. Lest my MD fall into the 'Inactive' sub-forum,  I present an introductory shot of Forest's end, which runs along the Crown Land abutting the Schmotenton River below Blackforst and Banksia Park. It's a long skinny suburb currently undergoing a bit of a revitalisation.

PaPa-J

smile more, laugh more,
about things.

siemanthepieman

UPDATE 34 - FOREST'S END

Forest's End didn't really hit the map until the early 1970's when the space between shacks on the Crown land along the Simoleon River and the development in Blackforest started to fill in.

34.1 - In its early days it was just an unusually stretched and laid out suburb, the residents were laid back and easily satisfied in terms of utilities, local facilities, jobs and commutes.

34.2 - It later came to be plagued by abandonment problems and unemployment. In 1980 a committee was established to revitalise the area and improve desirability and job availability and in 1982 commercial development was in full swing.

34.3 - As trade and commerce came to town, a unique opportunity to align with a small commercial hub in Banksia Flat and create a true 'shopping corridor' linking the two suburbs was identified.

34.4 - It was decided the expense of a tunnel was worth it due to the lessened impact on the small run of trees separating the two suburbs.

34.5 - The project was a massive success.

34.6 - Major road upgrades and traffic management improvements were implemented.

34.8 - There was another very small, but very swish small block of commercial mid rises in a lovely location overlooking a small tributary of the Simoleon River.

34.9 - The rest of the suburb is really not that far from where it started - quaint and fairly scenic. Example A

34.10 - Examle B

34.11 - Example C

34.12 - Example D

34.13 - Overview after development, circa 1986.

There will be a short part 2 to this update, looking at the long arm of the suburb that snakes along the Simoleon River. So stay tuned.

Tarkus

First time here, and as a NAMite, I'm quite impressed with your usage of diagonals throughout here--it's really a distinct style of network layout, and I like what you've done with it.  I'm also always drawn in by road construction, so I'm enjoying see the upgrades you're doing as well. There's also a good interface between the natural and built environment, too.

And also, since this is now Reply #100, it's my distinct honor as a member of SC4D Staff to move "From Schmotenton to New Portland - the rise (and possible fall) of Bran Castle" up to the Best Sellers category.  Congratulations! :thumbsup:

-Alex