• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How can I build this interchange using the RHW?

Started by alexr19, September 07, 2014, 05:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexr19

How would I go about building this interchange using the RHW? Please excuse the crude maps, but the black line is a freeway traveling north-south, and the two white lines are toll roads. One toll road runs north-south while the other runs east-west. The latter's western terminus is at this interchange. On the larger map, it's the intersection of I-11, SR 400 and SR 502. How can I do this and have it look realistic? What's an example of a three-route interchange in SC4 (like a CJ), and there any real world interchanges someone can point to?

EDIT: I see the 10, 5, 60 interchange in Los Angeles as an example as well as the 5, 57 and 22 interchange in Anaheim. Any others I could study? Thanks!

compdude787

Well, if you want to build a five-way interchange in SC4, be prepared to have a lot of fun, and use a heck of a lot of space. But since you are using toll roads, that makes it a bit easier to come up with a concept, because you'll want to have the toll section completely separate from the non-tolled highway. I suggest that you do something like this:

This way you can have the toll booths for both roads in one place; you basically have to think of it as two interchanges, not one. But depending on your level of experience with RHW, you may want to change out the T-interchange with a trumpet interchange, or for extra fun, make a stack instead of a cloverleaf. It's all up to you.

BTW the two RL interchange options you mentioned look way more complicated than this. I'd say that this is a lot easier to create; you basically can think of it as two interchanges that just so happen to be right next to each other.

Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

alexr19

Thanks, compdude! This helps me alot as I was having a real mental block trying to picture how to even start. This has got some juices flowing!  :D

joshua43214

5 way intersections, and intersections where one leg continues at 45 degrees are pretty hard to make and tend to be huge.

I would consider letting 11 and 400 merge and continue north off the city tile, then split in the city to the north. I am pretty sure the toll road between Oklahoma City and St. Louis does this in Oklahoma City, though I might remember it wrong.
Keeping them separate will entail a lot of collector ramps, you will have to either take up a huge part of the city tile, or resort to underground networks (which might break realism).

Good luck,
Don't forget to post a picture of your solution.

compdude787

Quote from: alexr19 on September 08, 2014, 04:23:23 AM
Thanks, compdude! This helps me alot as I was having a real mental block trying to picture how to even start. This has got some juices flowing!  :D

You're welcome! :)
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel