• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Drawing a small 90º road curve

Started by tomvsotis, October 19, 2017, 06:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomvsotis

Is there a way to draw one of the old-style 2x2 90º road curves? I can't find a way to do so in the documentation. The street one works fine:

But there doesn't seem to be equivalent road functionality? I know there was a puzzle piece for this prior to NAM 36; am I missing something?

APSMS

I'm pretty sure the puzzle piece is still there, either under curves or under its old location, under the Rural Road Puzzle Pieces (RuRP).

However, there isn't, afaik, a draggable pattern for it, though if you drag the road out the right way, you do get a slightly smoother 90 degree turn than the standard (still not the curvature you're looking for though)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Tarkus

I've kind of wondered why it hasn't been done yet, as it would be very easy to add.  The INRUL code from the Street version should be directly portable to Road and One-Way Road versions.  Perhaps I'll sneak that in for NAM 37. ;D

-Alex

tomvsotis

ASPMS: Cool, thanks for the info!
Tarkus: That'd be awesome :)

Seaman

yes of course there is a draggable pattern. It's exactly what you've drawn, but you need to extend the road stubs for your original road.

I've found this pattern list somewhere over at simtropolis, which you might find helpful:

These patterns are valid for the standard street and road, support for any NWM or SAM texture is not available yet (hint hint :D).

PS: in case any NAM team member with a sufficient lack of tasks reads this ;), the smooth diagonal curve for streets has a weird (although functional) pathing, which someone might look into...

Tarkus

Quote from: Seaman on October 20, 2017, 11:42:00 PM
These patterns are valid for the standard street and road, support for any NWM or SAM texture is not available yet (hint hint :D).

PS: in case any NAM team member with a sufficient lack of tasks reads this ;), the smooth diagonal curve for streets has a weird (although functional) pathing, which someone might look into...

SAM WRC support was actually added in NAM 36, for Sets 2-11.  And we can certainly look into the 45° Street WRC pathing.  If it's functioning, it probably won't be the highest priority (with three main developers, there's definitely no lack of tasks to go around), but it will go on the list.

In any case, here's the results of copying the INRULs over from the Street Small 90° Curve . . .

They still need pathing (easy enough to copy over) and wealth textures, but they're alive.

-Alex

mgb204

Quote from: Tarkus on October 21, 2017, 01:53:31 AM
SAM WRC support was actually added in NAM 36, for Sets 2-11.  And we can certainly look into the 45° Street WRC pathing.  If it's functioning, it probably won't be the highest priority (with three main developers, there's definitely no lack of tasks to go around), but it will go on the list.

Having tested all the SAM curves, I suspect what's being referred to here is the way automata does a little loop on the tile where the street stub is placed? That's necessary because if the paths don't otherwise extend onto that piece, it wouldn't support zoning properly, sadly it does cause automata to use it though.

Tarkus

Yes, that sounds right.  It's been awhile since I've handled the pathing on the original WRCs (helped add the first ones in NAM 22 a decade ago, back before they were nice and draggable), but I remember the zone access issues coming up at some point after their release. 

The automata are just splendid little idiots, though. :troutslap:

-Alex

Seaman

Quote from: mgb204 on October 21, 2017, 02:35:00 AM
Having tested all the SAM curves, I suspect what's being referred to here is the way automata does a little loop on the tile where the street stub is placed? That's necessary because if the paths don't otherwise extend onto that piece, it wouldn't support zoning properly, sadly it does cause automata to use it though.

Quote from: Tarkus on October 21, 2017, 02:40:48 AM
Yes, that sounds right.  It's been awhile since I've handled the pathing on the original WRCs (helped add the first ones in NAM 22 a decade ago, back before they were nice and draggable), but I remember the zone access issues coming up at some point after their release. 

The automata are just splendid little idiots, though. :troutslap:

Yes, this is the problem I was refering to. I wasn't sure wether this is necessary since the road curve seems to work fine. Thx for the clarification here.

@Tarkus: the curves made draggable are awesome. With the wealth textures missing, the pussle pieces always standed out.

druidlove

Quote from: Seaman on October 20, 2017, 11:42:00 PM
yes of course there is a draggable pattern. It's exactly what you've drawn, but you need to extend the road stubs for your original road.

I've found this pattern list somewhere over at simtropolis, which you might find helpful:

I like seeing the patterns. I do wish there was one location or page to show what the draggable patterns are (I'm talking about these, RHW-2, and RHW patterns.)

Tarkus

The RHW Draggable Ramp Interface patterns have a similar graphic available in the new NAM documentation (thanks to woodb3kmaster for making it).  It is also up on our SC4 Encyclopaedia. 

(click to enlarge)

-Alex

Kitsune

could a disclaimer be added that there additional patterns not shown on it ?
~ NAM Team Member

woodb3kmaster

The only patterns not shown on the graphic Alex posted are the RHW-2 patterns, IIRC. I've been working on a new version of that graphic that will include those patterns, whenever it's finished (and as with all things NAM, there is no release date).

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

gn_leugim

Quote from: Tarkus on October 27, 2017, 01:45:31 AM
And here are the wealth textures in action:

-Alex

This is so useful! thank you! :D

Tarkus

You're most welcome, and I've also ported over the 3-tile long S-Curve from the Street network as well.

rivit deserves a ton of applause for his Bender tool, which made generating the textures for this incredibly simple.

By the way, for those who are wondering and don't know, the 4-tile long S-Curve that has existed in puzzle form since NAM 21 already exists in draggable form--it's a by-product of the Draggable FAR system, and the FA-2 in particular.  The pattern looks like this (each dash is Orthogonal Road):

----
  ----

-Alex

ChiefZDN

Quote from: Tarkus on October 28, 2017, 01:53:05 AM
You're most welcome, and I've also ported over the 3-tile long S-Curve from the Street network as well.

rivit deserves a ton of applause for his Bender tool, which made generating the textures for this incredibly simple.

By the way, for those who are wondering and don't know, the 4-tile long S-Curve that has existed in puzzle form since NAM 21 already exists in draggable form--it's a by-product of the Draggable FAR system, and the FA-2 in particular.  The pattern looks like this (each dash is Orthogonal Road):

----
  ----

-Alex

Is the bender used by NAM Memo's?

gn_leugim

Quote from: Tarkus on October 28, 2017, 01:53:05 AM

----
  ----

-Alex

Being a person that likes to street things and them upgrade to road, this is wonderful :D