• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Contribute to NAM Team?

Started by anthonyheckmann, January 31, 2013, 11:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyheckmann

Hi,

Are there any public repositories available to easily poke around the NAM source? How would I go about becoming more involved in fixing bugs or adding features?

MandelSoft

Well, there is not actually a public repository of the NAM. We don't really program the game, at the most we script with RUL0 code; the rest is editing exemplars and stuff.

However, you can look into the NAM's files. The first thing you'll need is iLive's Reader, any modder's must-have. This allows you to look into DAT-files, which are actually packaged files. In fact, the whole of the NAM is in that respect open-source; you can look into every file, every exemplar and every bit of RUL-code...

For the rest, I advise you to look around at this section, NAM How-to's and Tutorials. There are not only tutorials about how to use NAM components; there are also tutorials about how to make them. I suggest to read a few of these, so you know what's cookin' underneath the hood of the NAM.

Most people work their way into the NAM by showing off their skills of what they can do. I for one was pretty skilled with working with the RHW, and so I was invited to become a NAM associate. After making my first puzzle pieces (I still thank jmvl for his wonderful guide and tools), I got promoted to full member and even realised some pieces I actually requested at the very beginning of my membership.

I hope this answers your question ;)

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

anthonyheckmann

Thanks, I'll try out those tools and poke around the data files. :)