• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

I'm coming home! But first...

Started by Terring7, May 26, 2018, 11:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terring7

My dad bought me a new computer. A HP Slimline Desktop PC 260-a109nv, with fully updated Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, 4 GB RAM and AMD processor A6-7310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics. I already have my physical copy of Simcity 4 Deluxe (yes, I still have it) but I'm going to download a digital one from GOG, just to make sure that it will be playing on my new PC. So, I want to ask just a few questions. Based on the info provided, do you think my PC is good enough to play Simcity 4? When it's the best time to buy the game? Right now it's 17 euros, which is a good price but I'd rather buy it on an even lower one. Is there any trick I have to know to ensure a smooth playing experience on Windows 10? How about the Lot Editor? Will it be playing on my new PC? If no, is there any alternative to make my lots? And finally... did you miss me?

Cross your fingers, my friends. It's been 4 years, but finally...

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Andreas

I'd say the PC is perfectly fine to run the game, even though it might be rather "low end" by today's standards, but I have a similar built-in GPU setup, and everything is fine (I do use a SSD rather than a HDD, which speeds up things quite a bit). When I upgraded to Win10, I learned that the CD version cannot be used anymore, but there where hints about contacting EA's support chat and ask for a free SC4 Deluxe copy from Origin, which I got after supplying my SC4 and RH serial number.

Apparently, EA is/was selling the non-upgradable, unpatched vanilla version of the game via Origin, so I can't tell if the offer that I got still exist, and if it does, if you get the properly patched version of the game these days. Getting a DRM-free copy on GOG seems to be a good idea, and I think there are sales every now and then where you can get it for like 5 EUR, but then again, if you really like the game, 17 EUR for a working copy might be a good investment after all.

The Lot Editor works fine in my Win10 as well, although I can't remember how I installed it back then. I think there's a standalone download somewhere, but if you happen to have a copy of your SC4 folder from your old computer, you can simply copy the necessary files from there, and make a new desktop shortcut yourself. The same is true for the Origin copy of SC4, BTW, there's no need to run Orgin once you've installed the game, just use a regular desktop shortcut for it as well.

As for missing you... I'd say it feels like you were never gone. It's been soooooooo long that we're around here, still interested in a game that was published 15 years ago, so time becomes completely meaningless. Nevertheless, welcome back! :thumbsup:
Andreas

brick_mortimer

I had a similar question (including advice on win10  and new PC).
Maybe you can find some answers in that thread.

I can tell you that SC4 terraformer, the reader, LE and DATpacker all play nice with win10 and my digital copy from GOG.

Have fun!
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

APSMS

According to Google that is a very Greek-specific PC, since the only thing that came up was this website, Simtropolis, and a bunch of Greek websites.

Also according to Google, that's a laptop CPU with the equivalent performance of a 3rd gen Core i3 processor from Intel.

Is it enough for SimCity 4 with the NAM and mods? More than likely, given SC4's low requirements. Windows 10 won't load the disk version of the game at all because they dropped the driver support required to verify the disc DRM.

For years I played SimCity 4 on my Pentium 2-core laptop with a 1.6 Ghz processor from mid-2006, with 2 gigs of RAM and Windows Vista. I don't think a modern APU, even on the low end, is going to struggle. Certainly it should handle hardware mode, since the APUs, while underpowered for most modern games, are typically more than adequate for much older titles, especially games like SC4 where you're more likely to be limited by the game's internal clock (and your CPU speed) than any limitations in graphics capability.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Terring7

I have successfully purchased and downloaded Simcity 4 from GOG for only 4.09 euros. Now all I need is to install it, but I don't have the time right now to do it yet. Until then, I'll need some extra advises. Since it's my very first time I install a game on Windows 10, what must I have in mind during the installation? Is there any trick I need to know before installing it? My PC is a multiple core one, so how can I make the game running on only one core? I have also a widescreen TV that I use it as a monitor as well for my PC with 1920 X 1080 resolution. What would you suggest me for this case?

Any help and advice will be more than welcomed &dance
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

brick_mortimer

You can edit the command line of your SC4 shortcut.
More info in this thread

My command line looks like this and it works perfectly:
"C:\GOG Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -CPUCount:1 -f  -intro:off -CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1080x32
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

Terring7

The game has been installed and set up. Thanks to your advices, it runs smooth like water and everything is OK. Now I want to get rid of an annoyance. Every time I open the game, Windows 10 brings a message about "are you sure you want to open this program?". When I choose "yes", it brings some small advices about gaming and options and all that jazz. Can I just open the game without unnecessary pop-ups and anything else?
The Choice is Ours
---