• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How do I pull off . . .

Started by Pythias900KMB, January 24, 2018, 12:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pythias900KMB

Many salutations, everybody!!!  I am so excited about being able to avail the Modular Interchange System to construct a realistic T-interchange; still, I would like to take this to the next level.  Before the actual interchange, I would like to place a couple of OWR flexible underpasses at the end of inside ramps.  I can easily locate the requisite puzzle pieces but not the means to draw the below-ground route between them.  Where should I focus my attention?

Seaman

Quote from: Pythias900KMB on January 24, 2018, 12:40:32 AM
I can easily locate the requisite puzzle pieces but not the means to draw the below-ground route between them.  Where should I focus my attention?

Unfortunately, the FLUPs are not draggable. You need to find puzzle pieces to fit your needs. Under the FLUP-tab-ring, there should be some "FLUP under grass" pieces, I assume you'll find helpful. You might need to flip them a couple of times to find the correct piece and angle.

If you really want to drag underground, maybe because there are some buildings or LOTs in the way, you might want to look into road-subway converters. They convert road (or OWR) into subway traffic and back. This means, the simulator can use this route, but automata will not go through and Udrive will not work.

EDIT:
btw, congrats to your T-interchange. If you are looking into some specific setups, feel free to post some pictures. I'm sure you will recieve some suggestions or ideas by the other forum members :)

Pythias900KMB

Do you see the double viaduct of OWR-2 across the north-south highway, Seaman?  That is what I want to run below ground prior to there being a proper T-interchange.  That is why I was asking about the FLUPs.

Indiana Joe

Note that FLUP pieces, even though they're underground, take up the tile they are placed on, and you can't freely build on top of them.

What FLUPs can do is be placed on top of a few pre-determined networks.  There's support for orthogonal crossings of street, road, one-way, ave, highway, rail...GLR maybe?  As well as several other game and NAM networks.  They also have a blank (grass) piece.  But you can't put them down and build a spaghetti of RHW and FLEXfly on top of them.

You may be able to build around them and just convert the RHW to one-way road where it crosses.  Or you can build a tunnel and build freely on top of that.

Seaman

Ah... thanks for the picture. I tried building it on my own and realized some problems.

here's the pic:

The main FLUP pieces are under the FLUP tabring in the "road" section of the build-menu. I forgot, that if you want to go under RHW with FLUPs, they are kind of hidden: find them under the RHW/RD tabring in the "road" section of the build-menu further below (yellow circle in the pic). You have to press tab quite some times to find the FLUP pieces. Additionally, you need to circle them with the "pos1" or "end" keys a number of times to find the correct setups. e.g. select the RHW/RD, then press tab x-times to find the FLUP under MIS, then press "pos1" a number of times to find the FLUP under RHW-4 pieces.

2. Fill the tiles in the median with FLUP-under-grass-pieces, you'll find in the normal FLUP tabring

3. to build your exact setup, I've stumbled across a problem. The FLUP under RHW-6S piece is actually two tiles wide (blue circle). But in order to get your interchange running the way you want it, you need to place a t-FLUP-under-grass between the RHW-4 and the RHW-6S (orange circle) which conflicts with the wide RHW-6S-FLUP. To solve this, you might want to think of inside ramps for the main highway, or to increase the median between the RHW-6S main and the RHW-4.

I hope, this explanation helps.
As an additional note: the FLUP pieces are not "oriented" in the sense, that you do not have to care about directionality for onw-way-roads. Just place them, that they form a proper line and you can plug whatever road system you want in. Maybe you already noticed, how you can see the pattern of the FLUP piece when you hover the bulldozer above it.