• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Missing Icons?!?

Started by stickinc, July 01, 2017, 03:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stickinc

I know how to replace missing icons for lots, my issue is with props and UDI automata. Working in PIM-X not seeing the icon is rather annoying to me and somewhat of an ocd thing. So how do you add icon for props? Second, UDI replacements or additions. Is how to add an icon so they show up in the UDI menu? I think both are tied to the examplar file but don't know how to go about adding this in :(

Two examples would be:

Police car expansion pack

NYC MTA bus - Orion V 1

Andreas

As you mentioned already, the icon (PNG file) is referenced in the exemplar file of an UDI vehicle, or Mayor Mode Ploppable (I think that's what you meant with "prop"). Basically, you just need to make sure that your exemplar file has a unique ID, and that the instance ID of the PNG file matches the entry in the "Item Icon" property. Usually, both the exemplar file and the PNG file have the same instance ID, which is probably not necessary, but keeps things clean.
Andreas

stickinc

Quote from: Andreas on July 01, 2017, 03:57:12 PM
As you mentioned already, the icon (PNG file) is referenced in the exemplar file of an UDI vehicle, or Mayor Mode Ploppable (I think that's what you meant with "prop"). Basically, you just need to make sure that your exemplar file has a unique ID, and that the instance ID of the PNG file matches the entry in the "Item Icon" property. Usually, both the exemplar file and the PNG file have the same instance ID, which is probably not necessary, but keeps things clean.

OK, I think I know how to do that with the UDI for the additions since these seem to have an examplar file, not to sure about the replacements since I thought the ID needed to be the same as what it's replacing ()what() at least that has been my understanding when turning automata into props was the one ID has to match the file it references too.

And no I am not talking about mmp's. The police car replacement also includes props for lot editing. The icon in PIM-X just says no icon. I have a few props like that, that I use regularly and not having an icon irk's me :-[

vester

Not sure why you keep talking about icons for props.
Props don't have icons. Lots, MMPs and automatas (cars, trains etc.) has icons.

You place props on to lots, which are what shows up in game (and needs an icon).

For replacement automata the icon needs to have the same IIDs to replace the original icon.

When turning automata into props the IID in the sub exemplar file needs to point to the right model file.
The exemplar file don't need to have the same IIDs as the model.
(Please do re-read what Andreas wrote.)

stickinc

Quote from: vester on July 01, 2017, 04:29:33 PM
Not sure why you keep talking about icons for props.
Props don't have icons. Lots, MMPs and automatas (cars, trains etc.) has icons.

You place props on to lots, which are what shows up in game (and needs an icon).

For replacement automata the icon needs to have the same IIDs to replace the original icon.

When turning automata into props the IID in the sub exemplar file needs to point to the right model file.
The exemplar file don't need to have the same IIDs as the model.

Most of what you just said went way over my head &mmm. I understand it but don't know all the terms. MGB wrote up a tutorial that i''ve followed multiple times for turning automata into props and have no issue with it :)

I've already tested adding an icon for the additional udi with the bus since that had an examplar file to just add the property too. It's the replacements I don't get. The bus for example replaces the default maxis bus but has no examplar file, i'm guessing because everything is referenced back to the maxis file and that the fsh file is all that is replaced. I've tried looking at your files as reference but i'm still a bit confused

OK what I mean by icons I guess if when you make or edit a lot in pim-x and add props they have an icon you view so you know what you are adding, all the props that say no preview what or where are they referenced from?

mgb204

Simply put an icon is always referenced through the Icon Key property. If you don't have the exemplar to reference the ID from there, then you need to dig it out from the original SimCity dat files (assuming it's a replacement Automata). Like everything else in SC4, once you've found the ID, overriding it is as simple as giving your replacement (PNG file/Icon), the same ID. I'd open reader, select the file SimCity_1.dat (almost certainly where most things are), then use the "Navigator" function to locate the automata exemplars. In the navigator Window, automata can be found under "Vehicule" (not a spelling error, that's what Reader 0.93 says). So for example, for the regular police car, I located the entry (near the bottom) "Vehicle_CopCar_normal_10640000". Note that not everything is named in the most helpful way by Maxis. Clicking on that entry shows the exemplar, where we see the Item Icon property as 0xABB15493. But, it's easier to dig in a little further here. Open the entry we selected with the little plus sign, now it shows the linked files for this exemplar, one of which is Item Icon Key. Now we can see the original icon displayed, right click on the text and select Synchronise, this will highlight that entry back in the original Reader Window. Now you can copy this PNG file from the SimCity_1.DAT over to your new file where the replacement icon will be.

Assuming your new file now has both your new icon, along with the original one inside it, right click the original icon, select "Copy Entry ID", select the replacement, right click and select "Paste Entry ID". You'll need to click something else and back on the icon entry to see this update. When it does, remove the Maxis icon and you can save the file. Doing it this way saves you having to manually adjust the ID and will prevent problems, it's also quicker if you ask me.

The other part of your problem with props concerns SC4 PIM-X, I know it's picky, but here you mean Thumbnails, or preview images to show the props. These won't work for props which are made using RKT0 models, i.e. props that reference full 3D models, such as automata. If there is a way to add them, it's probably convoluted, although I do seem to remember getting one to work. But in essence these thumbnails are made using files contained in regularly exported models, which automata simply don't use. So you'd have to make and add them manually.

Goto the install DIR of SC4 PIM, there are two folders, ImageDB and ImageDBLarge. Here is where the Thumbnails are stored for every prop you've ever loaded. For example, I have about 17 thousand images in mine. You need to make two JPG images, one 64x64px and a second 128x128px with identical file names (you'll need to create/save them in different folders for this to work). The file names will be the Group and Instance ID of the S3D model your automata uses, for example my Ortho Bus Prop from the tutorial has the ID 0xBADB57F1-0x10620000, so the filenames would be 0xBADB57F1-0x10620000.jpg. Drop the small and large versions into their respective folders and the next time you start PIM-X, they should have thumbnails... However, this only seems to work when highlighting the prop, the new image appears in the preview that "pops out". But the initial image you see, still doesn't show the custom thumbnail for some reason?

What I did test was adding the thumbnails before SC4 PIM ever knows of the existence of a new model, doing it this way round, it still does not show the preview in the first instance. Perhaps it needs a very specific type of jpg file for this to work?, either way I couldn't make it happen. I've attached the basic Ortho Bus Prop Thumbnails here as an example for you to use. If I had to guess, I'd say the highlighted preview that's working is the larger one, it's the small image that SC4 PIM stubbornly refuses to show. One thing to keep in mind if you do this, keep the images well compressed and very small, or you'll likely create huge problems with using SC4 PIM.

stickinc

Quote from: mgb204 on July 01, 2017, 07:13:02 PM
Simply put an icon is always referenced through the Icon Key property. If you don't have the exemplar to reference the ID from there, then you need to dig it out from the original SimCity dat files (assuming it's a replacement Automata). Like everything else in SC4, once you've found the ID, overriding it is as simple as giving your replacement (PNG file/Icon), the same ID. I'd open reader, select the file SimCity_1.dat (almost certainly where most things are), then use the "Navigator" function to locate the automata exemplars. In the navigator Window, automata can be found under "Vehicule" (not a spelling error, that's what Reader 0.93 says). So for example, for the regular police car, I located the entry (near the bottom) "Vehicle_CopCar_normal_10640000". Note that not everything is named in the most helpful way by Maxis. Clicking on that entry shows the exemplar, where we see the Item Icon property as 0xABB15493. But, it's easier to dig in a little further here. Open the entry we selected with the little plus sign, now it shows the linked files for this exemplar, one of which is Item Icon Key. Now we can see the original icon displayed, right click on the text and select Synchronise, this will highlight that entry back in the original Reader Window. Now you can copy this PNG file from the SimCity_1.DAT over to your new file where the replacement icon will be.

Assuming your new file now has both your new icon, along with the original one inside it, right click the original icon, select "Copy Entry ID", select the replacement, right click and select "Paste Entry ID". You'll need to click something else and back on the icon entry to see this update. When it does, remove the Maxis icon and you can save the file. Doing it this way saves you having to manually adjust the ID and will prevent problems, it's also quicker if you ask me.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "navigator"? I open simcity_1.dat click examplar on top then switch to the tree view. Scroll down to vehicle then police car and I see the things you mention. I select the Item icon property but after that I don't understand the steps you mention, I see no Item Icon key? I'm going to guess I'm doing something wrong probably. Attached is what I see

Quote from: mgb204 on July 01, 2017, 07:13:02 PM
The other part of your problem with props concerns SC4 PIM-X, I know it's picky, but here you mean Thumbnails, or preview images to show the props. These won't work for props which are made using RKT0 models, i.e. props that reference full 3D models, such as automata. If there is a way to add them, it's probably convoluted, although I do seem to remember getting one to work. But in essence these thumbnails are made using files contained in regularly exported models, which automata simply don't use. So you'd have to make and add them manually.

Goto the install DIR of SC4 PIM, there are two folders, ImageDB and ImageDBLarge. Here is where the Thumbnails are stored for every prop you've ever loaded. For example, I have about 17 thousand images in mine. You need to make two JPG images, one 64x64px and a second 128x128px with identical file names (you'll need to create/save them in different folders for this to work). The file names will be the Group and Instance ID of the S3D model your automata uses, for example my Ortho Bus Prop from the tutorial has the ID 0xBADB57F1-0x10620000, so the filenames would be 0xBADB57F1-0x10620000.jpg. Drop the small and large versions into their respective folders and the next time you start PIM-X, they should have thumbnails... However, this only seems to work when highlighting the prop, the new image appears in the preview that "pops out". But the initial image you see, still doesn't show the custom thumbnail for some reason?

What I did test was adding the thumbnails before SC4 PIM ever knows of the existence of a new model, doing it this way round, it still does not show the preview in the first instance. Perhaps it needs a very specific type of jpg file for this to work?, either way I couldn't make it happen. I've attached the basic Ortho Bus Prop Thumbnails here as an example for you to use. If I had to guess, I'd say the highlighted preview that's working is the larger one, it's the small image that SC4 PIM stubbornly refuses to show. One thing to keep in mind if you do this, keep the images well compressed and very small, or you'll likely create huge problems with using SC4 PIM.

OK, thank you that explains a lot. I didn't understand how pim-x decides which thumbnails to show and what they don't. I guess know proper terminology makes things easier for others to understand to me it's just an icon &ops

mgb204

Navigator is a very useful feature of Reader that many people aren't aware of. The screen you show is the Exemplar Analyser, with this active, you won't see the option. From the main Reader interface, it's listed with other icons under "Other". Just click Navigator to bring up the interface, then you'll see all the things I mentioned.

I can't get Synchronise to work using the newer version of Reader though, it simply doesn't jump directly to the file/entry like it does in version .093. Perhaps you'd be better off with the older version for this task? Otherwise, just make a note of the ID, then use that to locate the PNG file manually.

QuoteI didn't understand how pim-x decides which thumbnails to show and what they don't.

Well it's just simply because automata are true 3D models. Most SC4 props are not, they are 2D textures stretched over a 3D box to give the illusion of depth. As such the two types are made completely differently and the data SC4 PIM uses to make the preview simply doesn't exist for 3D models, animations and some other types of prop.