• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

This upload.....

Started by Mikey Knox, May 18, 2017, 03:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey Knox

....does not support the dependency tracker yet.

When i see that (not often though) should i report the File or just leave it alone  ::)

carlfatal

Heya!  :)

There is no problem with downloading and using such files. You only have to look for dependencies by yourself - they usually are listed in the readme.  ;)
Yeah, it´s nice to have this tracker feature here but it is no must.  $%Grinno$%

Mikey Knox

I think i have to rephrase that, should i report it so that the Tracker gets updated by an Admin  $%Grinno$%

mgb204

I don't think awareness is the problem here. We can generate a list of everything that doesn't support the tracker. The issue is finding the time/resources to update it all. I'm sure it will happen one day, it's still an evolving process.

twalsh102

Actually myself and Seaman have been involved in a project on this very subject since the beginning of the year.  Seaman is primarily working on getting those downloads listed as not supporting the Dependency Tracker to support the Dependency Tracker.  I have been working on "accurizing" / vetting what is listed in the Dependency Tracker for those downloads that do support it.  Of the more than 300 downloads I've actually checked, more than 20% have inaccurate listings in the Dependency Tracker.

It's obviously a slow process considering how often RL interferes.

Seaman is having to actually generate a dependency list (based on download descriptions, readme files and anything he can get his hands on), and trying as best he can to determine accuracy of the list, so that it can be turned over to an administrator to add to the Dependency Tracker.

My part involves downloading every available download that includes lots, downloading every dependency listed in the Dependency Tracker (if I don't already have it), installing these files into an empty Plugins folder, and then scanning with SC4DataNode.  If missing dependencies are found, the next step is to try and identify what is missing (usually by adding all the props/textures I've ever downloaded and then re-scanning).  There have been several instances where I couldn't identify missing dependencies.  My list will likewise be turned over to an administrator so that existing Dependency Tracker lists can be corrected.

So far, since we are both working on different sets of download, nothing has been uploaded any where to provide access for multiple people to the work we have already accomplished.  If anybody were to express an interest in helping, we would obviously need to do something about that.

As mgb204 stated, it's not a problem of awareness, but rather one of the sheer amount of work to be done.

Simmer2

twalsh102 Was the only one that pointed out a dependency flaw on my latest lot. It turns out I was using an obsolete dependency by girafe.

I downloaded the new version and updated SM2 Cidade Jardim Corporate Center to reflect the changes. Version 2 is now available here and the STEX.

Thank you twalsh102 for being so tenacious  &apls

If an Admin is reading this, please give twalsh102 a K point for his amazing work and vast perseverance.

Thank you.

Simmer2/Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

eggman121

Quote from: Simmer2 on May 18, 2017, 09:51:10 PM
If an Admin is reading this, please give twalsh102 a K point for his amazing work and vast perseverance.

Request granted  ;)

Great work on the dependency tracker update twalsh102 and Seaman!

-eggman121

Seaman

Quote from: eggman121 on May 18, 2017, 11:42:00 PM
Great work on the dependency tracker update twalsh102 and Seaman!

thx.

my part is far from beeing done yet an RL is keeping me busy (applying to a new job) but Im working on in and slowly but surely I am crawling through the list.

Quote from: Mikey Knox on May 18, 2017, 03:05:45 PM
When i see that (not often though) should i report the File or just leave it alone  ::)

CasperVg provided me a list with all items missing a deplist for the deptracker. So I should be up to date with all cases.