• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Simmer's Lotting Lab.

Started by Simmer2, December 11, 2015, 07:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simmer2

Thank you vester and carlfatal

Kitsune Initially I did a preliminary multi-unit style well car but realized that for the purpose of the game they are wayyyy to long. 53 feet X either 3 or 5 will make the whole assembly nearly impossible to fit in a lot, hence the individual well cars I made.
It fits much better.

Example of a 3 unit multi-unit.

Example of a 5 multi-unit Gunderson Maxi-I TTX.

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

Kitsune

Ah thanks - yeah I know about the length after trying to figure how many I could cram onto a theoretical n scale layout.
~ NAM Team Member

tigerbuilder

That works just fine...the way the train cars are randomly selected, we can only make that type of car in the automata anyway.

The new props look awesome.

Cheers, tiger

brick_mortimer

Quote from: Simmer2 on May 06, 2017, 08:22:36 AM
*Simmer2 cracks knuckles*
[...]
Well it is time to finish the container storage project. Therefore all other projects are now on hold.
I'm soooo loking forward to this   &hlp

The props look really nice, even if it's still WIP  :)
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

c.p.

Great work.  An awesome new prop collection :thumbsup:  I look forward to seeing what lots you come up with for these  :popcorn:

Simmer2

Hello everyone and thank you for the kind words.

I'm typing this from my phone

As of last Friday May 12, sc4devotion has been deemed a "dangerous website" by my Norton360.
I have sent PM's and emails to all parties involved in order to resolve the issue.

Until then I cannot post pictures or do other things I normally do with my PC.

It works fine with any if my Apple products but I dont have a Mac.

Simmer2

*Edit*. I have managed to find a workaround, its session based and it expires every time a click anything on this site. I hope a permanent solution can be found soon.

Here are a few pics for everyone to enjoy.

________________________________________________________________________________

Simmer2

Still having Norton Issues but I managed to sneak this pic in  ;D

Its the Administration/temp storage building for the Container Storage Facility...still very WIP

Simmer2/Nick

praiodan

Off to a neat start! While I already like the brownish lower edge of the roof, I do wonder, if the base pattern of the roof texture is also included in your next steps? The brighter horizontal streaks across the metal sheets is just a tad too repetitive.

Simmer2

Hello everyone.

I have been extremely busy in RL, however I was able to add a few things to the admin/warehouse building.

A few pics. Still WIP

Simmer2

c.p.

Looks like its been through a few floods. :D
I love the rusty/grimy fan units, and the vents sticking out of the roof :thumbsup:

praiodan

I like the outside bracing of the construction very much! Although the beams look heavier than they might needed to be.  ;D

vester

The bracing is a bit off.

Maybe try to make them brighter
Black is really not that black when in the sun.
Our brain makes object in the sun looks darker than what we in fact see.

Simmer2

Thanks for the comments.

Arne, they are rusty black painted steel beams. If you look closely you can see the brownish rust along the metal work.
I could lighten it a bit. I will see how it looks.

I'm now in the process of modelling a Tractive Power Corp TP 56 switcher to use in my container yard. I'm about 80% done.
I want to incorporate as many of the components as possible in order to re-create the real deal.
Its very small and compact.

Here is the original.

Simmer2/Nick

Simmer2

Here is the model, again it is still WIP

Lots of work to do. Panels, vents, doors, railings, corner beads, handles, rivets...etc..etc.

Simmer2/Nick

praiodan

So cute! Small but neat addition! &apls

Simmer2

Thank you praiodan

I have seen a few threads where new batters are having an issue with duplicate TGI's on models after rendering. When I began batting I encountered exactly the same issue and had to re-render around 50 models in order to be inline with SC4. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Everyone who dabbles in batting needs this patch. I did not write this script, it was given to me. It is floating around the web therefore free to use. Full credit goes to the person who wrote this script!

It will fix those pesky model TGI's duplicate issues for good!

It is imperative that you re-render all models after installing this patch in order to avoid future conflicts.

Unpack the zip attached to this post and simply copy/paste it over the old script found in \gmax\gamepacks\BAT\scripts.

Cheers

Simmer2/Nick

praiodan

Quote from: Simmer2 on May 31, 2017, 12:18:10 PMI have seen a few threads where new batters are having an issue with duplicate TGI's on models after rendering. When I began batting I encountered exactly the same issue and had to re-render around 50 models in order to be inline with SC4. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Everyone who dabbles in batting needs this patch. I did not write this script, it was given to me. It is floating around the web therefore free to use. Full credit goes to the person who wrote this script!

It will fix those pesky model TGI's duplicate issues for good!

It is imperative that you re-render all models after installing this patch in order to avoid future conflicts.

Unpack the zip attached to this post and simply copy/paste it over the old script found in \gmax\gamepacks\BAT\scripts.

Cheers

Simmer2/Nick

In fact this texture fix was provided by no less entity than Maxis in very early days of the BAT and it also can be found in the Official Maxis Files directory on the left:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?page=14

Nerverthelss it is always good to be pointed out to, so this knowledge is not to be forgotten.  :thumbsup:

vester

Just show about the colors and the brightness of black.
We can agree that the lower part of the switch engine is black

The darkest part part of the deep shadow was around 7 % brightness (color sample to the left).
In this picture where really aren't a lot of direct light, the darkest on the side is around 16 %.
The color sample to the right is 43 % brightness.

The brighter the black part is, the more details is visible. I think my black Norfolk Southern engine the black is around 30-35 % brightness.

The modelling has comed of from a good start.
Not sure about the textures.
Try to have a look around textures.com. Maybe under metal you can find some inspiration have to make you own paint textures.

Maybe its time for new name for the thread. Its a lot more than lotting now.

Simmer2

praiodan, thank you for point it out!

vester. Nah, I think I will leave the tread title as is. Thank you for the textures link. Don't forget that I'm using Gmax therefore I cannot make model textures as good and detailed as using 3ds max .

Here is the new shunter at work! With night lights!

Simmer2/Nick

vester

Quote from: Simmer2 on May 31, 2017, 10:10:34 PM
vester. Don't forget that I'm using Gmax therefore I cannot make model textures as good and detailed as using 3ds max.

The main texture work is not done in gmax or max, but photoshop or gimp, or just by pick the right texture for the job.

Turn down the nightlight to around 70 % of the current brightness.