• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Kerbal Space Program

Started by CasperVg, October 22, 2012, 01:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CasperVg

Kerbal Space Program is an indie spacecraft/spacemission simulator game I discovered through a few youtube video's. I started out by playing the free demo (eternally locked to version .13.3) but decided pretty soon that it was worth the money. It's a lot of fun because of the combination of explosions (when your newly designed spacecraft was off-center, assymmetrical, you accidentally placed the engines upside down, etc.), tension (landing your craft on a different planet/moon is so exciting/hard/rewarding!) and creativity (spacecraft designs are unlimited really..).

Here's some pictures from my latest mission to Minmus, a tiny icey moon around Kerbin (the equivalent of our Earth). I succesfully landed :)

Kerbin (the big dot) and Mun (our Moon equivalent) are in the background, so as you can see Minmus is pretty far away

http://imgur.com/a/1o8Yk
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Pat

looks good there Casper, so you really have to be spot on with your designs of your craft or as in real life boom hmmm now I like that idea lol....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

CasperVg

Doesn't have to be spot on, but needs to be pretty close.. it does happen that the smallest mistake causes kaboom, but it also happens that you get a rocket with a broken off engine into orbit.. if you're lucky  :)

Just managed to get to Duna (the KSP Mars equivalent planet) for the first time. It ended up as a polar orbit  :)

GMT

haven't played that in a while... looks like I'm in for an update later and start to fool around a bit

... really, it is. I swear.

CasperVg

Billy-Bobski Kerman, who had been in a circular polar orbit about Kerbin for about 9 years (time-warping during interplanetary missions lol) has finally come back to the solid ground, landing safely on the north pole.

CasperVg

Another day, another three kerbals stranded somewhere in space. These guys were really unlucky, all well went on the trip to Ike (a moon of Duna), plenty of fuel left to return to Kerbin even, then two of the atomic engines popped off when the craft landed.. with the thrust balance way off, the craft would just spin wildly so they're stranded and will probably have to wait a few years before a rescue mission can pick them up.

CasperVg

I've just landed a probe (unmanned flight, mainly for scientific purposes, like determining density of the atmosphere, gravity, temperature) on Duna in the new (well, by now about 2weeks old) 0.18 version for KSP:

CasperVg

Looks like I might need to set up a rescue mission.. at least the crew of two survived the crash and have battery and communications for a few days..

[Delta ²k5]

I think... I overshooted a tad... ::)

CasperVg

Oops, indeed you did! Oh well, it's a Voyager mission now :P

I played a bit more today with the new .19 release, which adds re-entry effects (only fx, not yet functional) and rovers. So naturally I had to build a rover to explore the Mun. Mission report is over here:

http://imgur.com/a/KOymU