• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsune

thats excellent to hear - I've built some interchanges super tight and ran into unflippable tiles under the diagional overpass.
~ NAM Team Member

eagle74

Well, still no luck with the RHW-6C over 6C.  Placing 3 L0 starters & dragging the overpass through them results in the L0 6C remaining intact, but the overpass will not cross them.  Even tried it on a fresh piece of land after rerunning the controller with the same result.  As a sanity check, I made 6C over 6S & 8S with no issues, but not surprising, could not make a 6C over 8C.

Update: I reinstalled NAM & it made no difference.  But, another clue is that I cannot build MIS, RHW-2 or RHW-4 over 6C either.  They work fine over 8S.

Tarkus

That's really strange.  I'd go into the Controller Compiler again and make sure the L0 RHW-6C box is checked.  There's obviously some code that's missing in your installation somehow.  If it's still not working, I'd redownload and re-install.

-Alex

eagle74

I downloaded the NAM & reinstalled, & it made no difference.  Checked the RHW folders & all L0, L1, & L2 RHW network files are present & accounted for. So, today I will start by removing all plugins, etc. 

Update: After removing all plugins failed to help, I uninstalled & reinstalled SC4 & patched it to 1.1.638.  Then, installed NAM 35 & incredibly it made no difference with the 6C & 8C networks. Don't have any idea what to try next.

I am running the disk version on Win 7 pro, 64 bit with a 3.2 Ghz i-5 & Nvidia 1 GB card.

AirFiero

Tarkus and eggman have already mostly answered these questions in the welcome thread, but I thought I'd expand on these subjects here...

HSR - I understand this is still in development, but I thought I'd make a suggestion. Is there a way to optimize HSR to encourage sims to make more use of HSR compared to other transit methods, perhaps with greater volume? Another desired feature would be to have them use HSR for greater distances, such as from opposite sides of a city and deep into adjacent cities.

Pedestrian- I'd like to use these to try to get sims to be able to cross larger blocks of say residential neighborhoods like 8x or 9x3 blocks. I like to put a "park ribbon" through the middle of these blocks, or put a park in the middle of a block but there's no direct street access. Another instance would be access to/from transit such as train or subway stations with parks or paved areas instead of only by roads. Any info you can share on the utilization and effectiveness of the pedestrian pieces would be appreciated. Thanks!

b22rian

Air Fiero

Because the design of overall transit systems is individual and complex, this makes it quite difficult to answer your questions here and give a lot of advice..

But one thing you could try to get more HSR  usage would be to increase the speed of the HSR network  by opening up the your sim Z dat file which is in your main NAM folder using the Live reader program and finding the related property in there that contains all the speeds of the various networks and vehicles in the game..

However Steve (Z) , i would mention... advises against any major speed alterations of any of the networks as it could throw your traffic and routing out of its proper balance.

AirFiero

I'm having a problem with the HSR. I watched this video tutorial, which says you put the starter piece in place, drag monorail to create HSR track, then delete the starter piece and continue dragging monorail...

https://youtu.be/nEtQ0B-xdxg

It seems to work OK within one city, including dragging a connection to the side of the map to make a connection to the adjacent city. But when I go to the city next door and try to continue, the problems start. The connection on the other side is conventional monorail. If I put a starter piece and drag to connect to it, it makes HSR for a short distance but then changes back to monorail. If I delete the starter piece, the entire line goes back to monorail. argh!

Tarkus

The HSR override (or any override created by starter piece) will not automatically cross a neighbor connection.  The issues in the second city may be related to your particular layout.  HSR is probably one of the least developed large-scale NAM features, and attempting to build draggable crossings involving any sort of diagonal, or certain other unsupported crossings or adjacency situations, will cause it to revert to Monorail.  An image of the layout in the second city would be useful in determining just what is happening.

I would also add that removing the starter pieces is not nearly as necessary as it has been in years past, with the advent of the "disappearing construction lot" from the NAM 31.0 release in 2013.

There are plans to revamp HSR, mainly with the "Real High Speed Rail" (RHSR) initiative that eggman121 is designing, though it's still in the very early stages.

-Alex

AirFiero

I did a few tests with pedestrian mall pieces. I was getting the desired result - the some were using them to walk places. Good stuff.

b22rian

Quote from: AirFiero on July 11, 2017, 11:19:50 AM
I did a few tests with pedestrian mall pieces. I was getting the desired result - the some were using them to walk places. Good stuff.

I am glad to hear this  :thumbsup:

I was meaning to mention this with my first post..
But in simcity 4, with all traffic including pedestrian, there are really only 3 actual functions for them.. And of course this does not include any eye candy traffic elements
But those are..,

1) back and forth between home and the work places
2) between transit stations
3) From transit stations to home and the work places

So there isnt any traffic to parks and churches or even stores unless they are places of employment..

This may help you in where you decide to put down those pedmall pieces...

brian

mgb204

Quote from: gaoting on July 10, 2017, 09:10:25 AM
what's wrong?

Sorry for not responding sooner, but there was no image before.

This is simply a texture issue with the EU set, i'll try and get it fixed for the next version.

Maxim Vm

In this topic http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=252.4300 someone posted:

Quote from: bladeberkman on July 13, 2017, 10:32:12 PM
This is completely inefficient and a huge waste of space. However, I love how it looks, the curves are super-smooth, and I had to share.

How do you create a 2-way ramp like bladeberkman did at the north-side of this intersection? I tried putting some flexramps on my RHW and dragging RHW4 onto it, but that didn't work.

Tarkus

It looks like bladeberkman is using Type A2 Wide and Type B2 ramps in the image.  There are FLEXRamps included in the RHW that cover the B2 setups.  The A2 Wide setup can be created using the Type B2, and simply curving quickly off the diagonal into orthogonal.

This video that GDO29Anagram produced back when NAM 33 was in development should help:

https://www.youtube.com/v/Cnau0CSATQA

eagle74, getting back to your issue, I'm at a loss at the moment as to what might be causing it at this point, but it sounds as if at least some portion of the L0 RHW-6C and 8C RULs are missing.  I've attached the files below--while these are out of the current NAM build, the files actually haven't gotten any changes since November, right around when NAM 35 was released.  You'll want to place them in the My Documents\SimCity 4\NAM Auxiliary Files\Tools\Controller Compiler\Network Addon Mod\Controller\RUL2\07_RHW\Sec7b_L0 folder.

-Alex

eagle74

Tarkus,  First, I appreciate all the help; you're the best.  I will try the new files & report back.

Update:  I replaced the 3 files, ran the controller, & it did not fix the situation.  Tried RHW-2 & RHW-6C over 6C without success.  RHW-2 & RHW-6C over 8S still worked fine. 

There has to be a logical explanation for this.  For info, when I reinstalled SC4 & the NAM the other day, I made sure that they were completely uninstalled first as there wasn't even an SC4 folder in the Programsx86 or MyDocs locations.

eagle74

It seems that most of the time, the flex height transitions cannot be placed directly parallel & adjacent to the RHW for constructing an interchange without first bulldozing a good sized section of RHW & leveling the land with road stubs.  Is there a better way to do this?

mgb204

Not really, if the height through the overpass section isn't level, visually at least, it will mess with the flex-height pieces, which require an absolute 7.5m / 15m height difference. But you shouldn't need to remove that much of the RHW, maybe 4-5 tiles width maximum should get most things in place correctly.

eagle74

Thanks for the help.  It just seems that it rarely works without leveling first.

mgb204

But wouldn't that be because your land simply isn't level in the first place? I can't imagine many scenarios where an absolute height difference of 7.5m or 15m just happened to exist. None of these pieces are designed to auto-level the terrain, I'm not even sure that would be remotely possible. If you use one of the Raiser/Digger pieces, the changes are limited to the tile where they are placed. So if the tiles surrounding it were of a slightly different height to begin with, you wouldn't get a flat area.

eagle74

You are correct, the land isn't precisely flat to begin with.  What I didn't realize is that this is required for the flex heights to work.  This is not a complaint, just a lack of understanding of how the pieces work on my part.  Again, thanks for the help.