• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsune

That is a nice to have... as having a street intersect a avenue like that is currently impossible due to the autoconnect.
~ NAM Team Member

Fredrik001

Awesome, I do a lot of grade separated avenue-avenue "clover leaf" intersections connected by roads, and this will make them so much more realistic! (especially that cars won't have to slow down below 10mph when turning right off the avenue)

Tyberius06

Quote from: Tarkus on March 08, 2017, 04:16:59 PM

With the intersections you've described, a Google Maps/StreetView example of what you've described would be helpful in getting a clearer picture.

Of course. Here is a google maps link
https://goo.gl/maps/MzTc653WPzB2

and I attached a picture as well.

Thank you to take a look.

- Tyberius

You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

mgb204

That's definitely doable--just need to make the textures. (OWR-1 Transition)

What's the footprint for these? I'm assuming 2x2 Starting with the Ave/Sliplane to get to the OWR-1? Is the attached any use to you?

If you move the normal Ave Slip lane texture up a bit (the slip lane remains on the same tile), it will meet with the textures here, which connects with OWR-1 on the next tile. .PSD attached with source image.

Tarkus

Thanks, Kitsune, Frederik001, Tyberius06, mgb204, and all the likers! :thumbsup:

Quote from: Tyberius06 on March 09, 2017, 09:43:02 AM

With the intersections you've described, a Google Maps/StreetView example of what you've described would be helpful in getting a clearer picture.

Of course. Here is a google maps link
https://goo.gl/maps/MzTc653WPzB2

and I attached a picture as well.

Thank you to take a look.

- Tyberius

Thanks for the link--it looks like the main thing that would be needed there is a Road/OWR-1 intersection in which the Road makes a 90-degree bend and the OWR-1 shooting straight off of the Road.  I am looking at the prospects for those on the NWM front down the line.

Quote from: mgb204 on March 09, 2017, 01:24:21 PM
What's the footprint for these? I'm assuming 2x2 Starting with the Ave/Sliplane to get to the OWR-1? Is the attached any use to you?

If you move the normal Ave Slip lane texture up a bit (the slip lane remains on the same tile), it will meet with the textures here, which connects with OWR-1 on the next tile. .PSD attached with source image.

Thanks for the textures, though I wound up having to go a slightly different route with it, as moving the slip lane branch up on the Avenue would create some extra complications.  I ended up coming up with a design that retains the original geometry for the branch and the initial part of the slip lane itself (and re-uses the same IIDs and code):

By virtue of keeping the slip lane branch in the same spot, it allows all other networks with slip lane support to access this OWR-1 branch slip out of the box.

-Alex

mgb204

No worries mate, you're solution is probably better thinking about it now. They were a 5-10m thing, since this is something I really have wanted for a long time. OWR-1 is a bit neglected IMO, but for me is a network I'd simply love to be able to use all over the place. Just having these slip lanes will go a long way towards making it more usable.  :thumbsup:

Seaman

Just from the look of it (and since its using OW-1) it reminds me of eggmans REW mod. I guess, this type of slip lane to OW-1 is compatible with the REW without further modifications?

It's looking great, Tarkus!

kbieniu7

I just posted one proposition and you added several more following, like it is a piece of cake. You're enourmous :D
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Tarkus

Thanks, mgb204, Seaman, kbieniu7, and everyone for the support! :thumbsup:

Now that we have a firmer idea of what the OWR-1 will be doing in the future, thanks to the REW, the OWR-1 is going to be getting a lot more attention.  SITAP support is going to be coming to the OWR-1 with NAM 37, and there will be quite a bit more in store.

Also, here's an overview of all the new "end" slips, now that I've fixed up the textures (and pathed them, too).

-Alex

dyoungyn

Now that will definitely be a game changer. 

Is it possible to the same with ONEWAY2 as in REW? 

In  Washington, DC, there are many highways that were built in the 1940's/50's with absolutely NO MERGE and these slip lanes as exits are perfect to duplicate old roads. 

Simply put, AMAZING.  What else are you capable of that GREATLY influences the game to  whole new level. 

Finally, does the same apply to diagonal AVE4?

AsimPika3172

I loves Sim City forever!

Tarkus

Thanks, dyoungyn, AsimPika3172, and everyone for the support!

Quote from: dyoungyn on March 10, 2017, 07:21:37 PM
Is it possible to the same with ONEWAY2 as in REW? 

. . .

Finally, does the same apply to diagonal AVE4?

One-Way Roads?  They do indeed work there.

(A little bit of a texture mismatch there--I've been playing around with "Avenue-style" OWR textures similar to the REW of late, but the slip lane textures are still designed for the original OWR striping configuration.)

In fact, they'll work on any network that supports slip lanes.

There's no support for anything involving diagonals yet.  That's much further down the line.

I did, however, manage to sneak in a couple more variants, as they required very little code, I've run across quite a few of these in the wild myself:

-Alex

APSMS

Hey Alex,

Haven't been commenting lately. You've been keeping busy; I know I've been hitting that like button, but if we're being honest I really despise like buttons, and the fact that I use it as a cop-out.

Awesome slip lane features! NAM 36 is shaping up to be pretty exciting surface street wise. Hopefully I'll be able to test it all out when the time comes, but I suspect there won't be too much to worry about. Been keeping busy. With a little luck and a bit of hard work, I'll be really busy come fall, but that's another story.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to what else you whip up. I'm not one for prefab interchanges, but I can imagine the usability/ease of access will win over a lot of reticent users.

-Absalom
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

dyoungyn

Wow!!!!  Totally AMAZING. 

One question and I do understand the unpredictability, but do the slip lanes show up in the region view as white?  Also, what about against RHW?  I know, why would one need such a thing for RHW when there ramps for currently, but I do see use for  them in alternate arrangements. 

I know this may not be the appropriate forum, but is it safe to assume that REW is the same as Maxis oneway road 2?

Finally, with these new slip lanes for AVE4 and Oneway 2, one can draw new low cost highways and make pretty condensed interchanges with them in very urban environments.  Great and wonderful job and OH BOY NAM 37 is going to be AWESOME &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

Bipin

Simply spectacular. So happy NAM is going as strong as ever!

kbieniu7

I haven't even thought about 2x1 NWM road in such setup, but once I saw it there, I saw a lot if possibilities! Fantastic work :thumbsup:
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Tyberius06

Oh dear, oh dear oh....  &apls &apls &apls &apls
It's niceeeee!!! Well, with these new FTL-SITAP setups (as I mentioned before), probably I have to remade some of my districts and relocate a few (thousands fo) citizen, but I guess it will worth for it! :)

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Tarkus

Thanks, Absalom, dyoungyn, Bipin, kbieniu7, Tyberius06, and everyone for the support!

Quote from: dyoungyn on March 11, 2017, 07:11:33 PM
I know this may not be the appropriate forum, but is it safe to assume that REW is the same as Maxis oneway road 2?

The REW is mostly designed to make expressway-type setups using the various OWR networks more feasible, including not only the base Maxis OWR-2, but the NWM variants as well.  REW development is planned to resume after NAM 36 is released, so those plans should come into focus a bit more then.

In other news, I've just gotten the current version of the ERRW up and running within my development environment, so I have been able to start on the crosslinks there now:

-Alex

eggman121

QuoteI know this may not be the appropriate forum, but is it safe to assume that REW is the same as Maxis oneway road 2?

The REW will be an extension of the NWM One way variant side of things. So when the project eventuates it will tie in nicely with the NWM and FTLs. But yes its base will be the OWR 2 or maxis OWR.

The project has taken a back seat due to the fact that integration wise we want it to tie in nicely with the various NWM OWR networks.

Also I have been busy getting the ERRW into shape that has hampered my time on the REW side of things. It has been quite hard to bring the ERRW up to scratch.

Alex has summed it up nicely

QuoteThe REW is mostly designed to make expressway-type setups using the various OWR networks more feasible, including not only the base Maxis OWR-2, but the NWM variants as well.  REW development is planned to resume after NAM 36 is released, so those plans should come into focus a bit more then.

I must say Alex, the ERRW over the FTLs look beautiful. Can't wait for the extra functionality!

-eggman121

APSMS

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation