• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Lightning

Signalized Intersection Pieces, if I recall properly. Basically allows for traffic light setups (and automata to follow as such) in cases where they don't work, ie on onewayroads or RHW.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Tarkus

Quote from: Blue Lightning on October 15, 2010, 06:43:25 AM
Signalized Intersection Pieces, if I recall properly.

Exactly correct. :thumbsup:

Quote from: Blue Lightning on October 15, 2010, 06:43:25 AM
Basically allows for traffic light setups (and automata to follow as such) in cases where they don't work, ie on onewayroads or RHW.

Which reminds me . . . I SIPped up the Elevated Avenue/MIS + intersection puzzle piece the other day.

And yes, those are new Elevated Avenue models.  I've been secretly retrofitting the ERHW models for use as new Elevated Road/OWR/Avenue models over the past couple months, a project which has progressed quite nicely (though I haven't redone the T21s there to move the streetlight out of the median yet).  The end result of the project is that it will ease the process of creating new pieces for those networks, including Elevated TuLEPs (and more than likely, Elevated NWM networks).

-Alex

Ryan B.

Wow, that's pretty cool, Alex!  Would there be any chance of Elevated TuLEPs (ex. left turn lane over RHW) that could be used in this instance?

Tarkus

Quote from: Ryan B. on October 15, 2010, 01:02:04 PM
Wow, that's pretty cool, Alex!  Would there be any chance of Elevated TuLEPs (ex. left turn lane over RHW) that could be used in this instance?

Thanks, Ryan!  I have been thinking about the whole situation with over-RHW (and over-Maxis Highway for that matter) and it does appear something on those lines is in order.  The trick will be designing things so as to minimize the number of necessary pieces.

-Alex

io_bg

Looking great! There's something I'd like to ask though... What about an alternate version of these new el-avenue models without the asphalt in the middle? &blush
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Opkl

Quote from: Tarkus on October 15, 2010, 01:05:13 PM
Thanks, Ryan!  I have been thinking about the whole situation with over-RHW (and over-Maxis Highway for that matter) and it does appear something on those lines is in order.  The trick will be designing things so as to minimize the number of necessary pieces.

-Alex

Nice work Tarkus! Will the future Turning Lane Mod v2 include right turn only lanes like the one here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD3JQPUrU6Y&feature=related

Yuyu

I've been waiting for that elevated-Network-revamp for quite a while now (I remember you posting some picture of another version... about a year ago? Two years? doesn't matter...), and I'm glad to see there seems to be new development recently!

Anyway, two questions on that:

1. In the picture I mentioned above (might take ages to search for...) I believe you mentioned a way to allow base textures under elevated networks - so that a road going under an avenue would have sidewalks, if there are zones (or other stuff?) nearby. Any news on that?

2. 1 tile ~16m, height of elevated pieces (currently) ~15m, so a 3-tile-ground-to-elevated-piece would have a slope of 31,25% on average. I must say, this is something that bugs me since I first got a hand on the NAM... is there any chance you look after that as well? Because I would certainly use 4-tile- (23% on avg.) and 5-tile-pieces (19% on avg.), if they would exist... (well, add curved transitions to that as well :))

My couple of cents...
Still outstanding work from the whole team

Sincerely
Yuyu

MattyFo

I left a comment last night but for some reason it is no longer here or never even was posted &mmm strange.

I believe it read something like,

"Wow Alex!!  That was quick.  Looks great,  the textures match quite well even for a prototype.  Also, Ryan B.'s model for a light would be perfect for OWRs, the sign's are great.  However, like J-Dub had mentioned, I would prefere the vertical lights as oppose to the horizontal. But either way it is better than nothing".....or something like that :P.

As for the new Elevated Networks, they look great,  the SIPs make the transition from EMIS to avenue much smoother as oppose to this

By the way, I didn't even know that I could use the Elevated Avenue&OWR intersection puzzle piece for use with the EMIS until just rescently.  All in all things are looking good around here.

- Matt

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

jdenm8

Hm... All looking good Tarkus! Though, I wouldn't bother with re-doing the T21, putting a concrete median texture might be more prototypical anyway.
Just a suggestion  :thumbsup:

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tarkus

Quote from: io_bg on October 15, 2010, 01:08:45 PM
Looking great! There's something I'd like to ask though... What about an alternate version of these new el-avenue models without the asphalt in the middle? &blush

Quote from: jdenm8 on October 15, 2010, 05:25:21 PM
Hm... All looking good Tarkus! Though, I wouldn't bother with re-doing the T21, putting a concrete median texture might be more prototypical anyway.
Just a suggestion  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words!  To answer your question, the paved-over median is actually the standard way of doing things here in Oregon--of a sampling of close to 100 surface street overpasses I did this evening, only one had a raised median.  That being said, I'd imagine that's not the case everywhere, so I'd entertain that idea as an eventual option.  It's mostly just an issue of switching out some textures.

Quote from: Yuyu on October 15, 2010, 03:20:08 PM
1. In the picture I mentioned above (might take ages to search for...) I believe you mentioned a way to allow base textures under elevated networks - so that a road going under an avenue would have sidewalks, if there are zones (or other stuff?) nearby. Any news on that?

No news on that front.

Quote from: Yuyu on October 15, 2010, 03:20:08 PM
2. 1 tile ~16m, height of elevated pieces (currently) ~15m, so a 3-tile-ground-to-elevated-piece would have a slope of 31,25% on average. I must say, this is something that bugs me since I first got a hand on the NAM... is there any chance you look after that as well? Because I would certainly use 4-tile- (23% on avg.) and 5-tile-pieces (19% on avg.), if they would exist... (well, add curved transitions to that as well :))

I'd agree there . . . I do believe some longer transitions may make a nice addition. :)  It's also quite likely that 7.5m variants will be made as well, which will improve things even further on that front.

-Alex

travismking

here in Maryland, on 4+ lane "avenues" we usually have either a 'suicide' lane (for left turns) or something else like a guardrail or grass median to divide the lanes. but people here are really bad drivers and tend to hit things quite often :p So these new el-avenue pieces look pretty realistic to me with the wide median :) looks like the TLA-5 sorta, but double solid line ... does it line up with the TLA ? will it be possible to take the TLA-5 and convert it to avenue one tile before the ramp, so itll match up exactly?

Tarkus

Quote from: travismking on October 15, 2010, 08:24:45 PM
here in Maryland, on 4+ lane "avenues" we usually have either a 'suicide' lane (for left turns) or something else like a guardrail or grass median to divide the lanes. but people here are really bad drivers and tend to hit things quite often :p So these new el-avenue pieces look pretty realistic to me with the wide median :) looks like the TLA-5 sorta, but double solid line ... does it line up with the TLA ? will it be possible to take the TLA-5 and convert it to avenue one tile before the ramp, so itll match up exactly?

Yes, it does line up with the TLA-5--in fact, those are basically TLA-5 textures on there with just the dashed line converted to a double-solid.

Quote from: Opkl on October 15, 2010, 03:09:02 PM
Nice work Tarkus! Will the future Turning Lane Mod v2 include right turn only lanes like the one here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD3JQPUrU6Y&feature=related

Well, technically, the next release won't be a "v2".  The Advanced TuLEPs will kind of be a separate beast from the Basic ones now available in the NAM.  It is likely you'll see those in the first Advanced TuLEPs release, however.  The Basic TuLEPs set isn't expected to change much over time, though there may be a few small additions sporadically, depending on user interest and system complexity.  The Elevated TuLEPs were planned for Advanced, but it's possible a small complement of them may find their way to Basic.

-Alex

Rionescu

Here our medians are very similar to those on the AVE-2, usually just a grass median and rarely concrete.

Ryan B.

I've been speaking with Alex about an idea I had to increase the TuLEP / SIP realism factor by, oh . . . . I don't know . . . . .

One hundred times what it currently is.

I've nicknamed said idea the ol' "One-Two Punch".  Basically, this is what would happen:

Alex has modified his "custom" signal mast arm for several different TuLEP / signal options.  Using those mast arm models and current textures, I will create accurate signage for the mast arms in GMAX, export said signage, and send it all back to Alex.  He'll work his magic to put everything together.

So what currently looks like this:

Will hopefully look something like this:

What do y'all think?

kj3400

As long as there are arrows, I'm all for it! Do your best! :thumbsup:
I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

j-dub

Ryan, I live some place where they finally did do something like that, I find it seems like too many lights, but they have one light per lane, this way. However, intersections built that way plenty of times before do not, and where there are 6-8 lane roads in the same place, they usually only have either one or two lights over three straight lanes. There reasoning is quite screwy. Whatever. lol

Since the TuLEP's lights seemed to be positioned right like that style with the double left turn lane avenue configuration, the poles really just need the arrow signs to accommodate the signals. I want to keep the 3D animated signals Blue made with the new signed poles.

woodb3kmaster

Since Ryan was talking specifically about making signage for the mast arms, I suspect that that's what he wanted to call your attention to in that picture, not the overabundance of lights on the mast arm. That would be a different issue.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

MattyFo

Looks great!!! Although where I am from I've never seen an intersection with a light for every lane :o   Looks kinda strange to me lol.  Over here in Winnipeg we use a mast like the one you had shown, but it holds only signage, no lights.

Like shown here

Click for full res!

And then all lanes are usually commanded by two stoplights(for AVEs and OWR), one on each curb lane, like on the top right hand side of this picture.

You can see how far back the signage mast is from the actual intersection.  

- Matt

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

Ryan B.

@ MattyFo:  That's what we call "advance turn lane control signage", more akin to this in the United States:

As you can see here, some can be electronically modified to add a turn lane based on the time of day and traffic conditions.  I have a set of these planned as well.  ;)

MattyFo

Ah very cool!!!  I wasn't sure if you were planning on just making massive masts like the one shown earlier with 5 stoplights. :D The advance turn lane control signage is a great idea to incorporate into the TuLEPS, because is it very realistic, at least for us North Americans;) not too sure if these are used in excess by our friends over in Europe and abroad however.

I tried doing this a while back, creating signage for roads that is.  Because of my lack of knowledge in transit enabling my custom lots and adding props to road networks, I could only do this by making the prop on a 1x1 lot next to the road/avenue and have it overhang.  Having empty lots next to my roads and aves all over got on my nerves and I abondoned the idea.  If you want a hand in making the models I'd love to offer.

- Matt

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!