• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sithlrd98

Quote from: j-dub on August 13, 2009, 07:30:13 PM
On Alex's style
Pro: seems like it would align to scale Con: Takes up two tiles

On Nique's style
Pro:only takes 1 tile Con: offset lanes, however if both options were considered, this space saver could come in handy

I agree but Alex's approach IMO , is much more aesthetically appealing.

Jayson

metarvo

Slip lanes are rather common in my area, so I'm pleased to see them.  I'm sure it will be one of my most used features in the TuLEP.  Nice work, Alex!  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

KoV Liberty

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Slip Lanes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I had to remove a few exclamation marks, as they were causing screen scroll. ;-) -Alex (Tarkus)

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

just_a_guy

I'll be saying good bye to using OWR's as slip lanes with these. Great progress!
Come and check out my BATting works at:

Just_a_Guy's attempts at BATing

joelyboy911

Hmmm - looks nice, but I have a little critique: I wonder if the slip lane should be more asymmetrical, ie. it eases away from the road more, but does not so much do the same into the other one, if you get my drift, also, I disagree somewhat with the placement of the dotted lines at the entrance to the slip lane (perhaps this is the standard in the US, I don't know, but they do not exist here, except when there is a cycle lane crossing the entrance to the slip lane - look at Palmerston North in Google Earth, and find the main road from the center of town towards the river, here you can see many examples of what I'm talking about), but at the exit I feel that there perhaps should be a solid line, more perpendicular to the lane, indicating more clearly that the vehicle in the slip lane must give way.

Also, when there are wealth things applied, you might like to consider a type 21 prop of a road island in between the slip lane and the intersection, possibly also incorporating a pedestrian crossing to the island..

Otherwise - it looks superb. Keep up the good work.

SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Tarkus

Thanks for the kind words and feedback, everyone--it's very much appreciated! :)

As far as the 1 tile vs. 2 tile thing with the right turn lane on that Road TuLEP (it's tentatively labeled "C1"), I thought that one over pretty hard before coming to the 2-tile solution.  I had been considering doing an "overhang", much like the new RHW-6S setup in RHW Version 4.0, but in looking at how the lanes laid on the tile, it looked visually like it needed the pathing to be farther over to the right, onto the second tile.

There is one other advantage to using the second tile, too, beyond the aesthetic end: increased capacity. 

And Joel, thanks for the constructive feedback on the Slip Lane--you've given me some good stuff to think about. :)  The slip lane markings are kind of a mish-mash here in Oregon.  From the looks of it, though, mine look a bit too much like mini-MIS ramp interfaces.  :D 

In closer examination on Google Maps of several local slip lanes, it seems the more rural ones tend to have no markings at all. Newer ones in more urban settings tend to have a crosswalk across the middle, with a strip of white, painted-on "yield arrows" on the end of the lane where it connects into the intersecting road.  There's usually no markings on the approach, except in case of a bike lane, exactly as you pointed out. :)  Thanks again for the keen observation!

-Alex

joelyboy911

You're very welcome. I wasn't aware of how they were built, anywhere except NZ, as it's not the sort of thing I've paid attention to on my few travels elsewhere. I don't know how they do give way markings (yield?) in the US, but you could make them as BAT props rather than in the texture, to make it easy to have different local variations?. Also regarding my first point - on more thorough inspection, some are perfectly symmetrical, whilst others are less symmetrical the other way, I suppose every intersection is different in its own way requiring special layouts.

:P
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

metasmurf

RebaLynnTS

This looks like it will be a very useful addition to SC4.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

MandelSoft

How about a right turn lane that ends up in a slip lane? Looks like a logical step to me.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

superhands

great work Alex. I can't begin to believe the euphoria this has created :P

-dave

debutterfly

Ryan B.

j-dub

Yeah, about the slip lanes, when I have seen some in RL, they either are just there with no lanes into them, or they have a turn lane in front, or they have both a turn lane, and an acceleration lane so you can make a right on red, without stopping. Either way, even in cities, I have not seen those dashed lines around the slip lane either, but I thought we were not going to go crazy on cosmetics for now.

In my state, when it comes to slip lanes, this can get akward, you can have the green right turn arrow while the traffic on the side also has the green light. This is only if there is an acceleration lane separation, but this setup seems to be too touchy for these drivers. So that comes to the question about stop points or not in the SC4 situation

Monorail Master

I'm just wondering, What about adding turn arrows to roads, AVE, OWR, or MIS entering roundabouts? At my town's middle school, there is a roundabout with turn arrows only for entry points.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

metasmurf

Dexter

Great work there  :thumbsup:, I especially like the slip lanes.

Will these also be included? (posted in the NWM thread by Shadow Assassin, page 34)
Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

Tilarium

Quote from: Dexter on August 15, 2009, 10:42:22 AM
Great work there  :thumbsup:, I especially like the slip lanes.

Will these also be included? (posted in the NWM thread by Shadow Assassin, page 34)

That's a pretty awsome picture!  I like the slip lanes... but I'm also interested in the end of the picture... is that a road to ave conversion piece?  Where did you find it... did you make it... why don't I have it?  Love it!

Tarkus

Thanks for the continued support here--I'll answer a few questions now and come back with development pics later.

Quote from: mrtnrln on August 14, 2009, 06:04:34 AM
How about a right turn lane that ends up in a slip lane? Looks like a logical step to me.

Yes, it's a very logical step, and the next step with TuLEP development, in fact. :)

Quote from: debutterfly on August 14, 2009, 06:47:47 AM
Hey Alex. How about a triple turn lane? http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Hague+rd+indianapolis&sll=39.96028,-85.976257&sspn=0.090523,1.645203&ie=UTF8&ll=39.926952,-86.02602&spn=0.000366,0.001607&t=h&z=19

Larry, thanks for the link!  That's the first triple left turn lane I've seen, actually. ;D  I think it could be a nice addition down the road (no pun intended), once there's a surface network with three travel lanes to turn onto.  It'd fit somewhere in the Avenue sets.  It's looking like the Avenue will likely have the greatest number of TuLEP types.

Quote from: Monorail Master on August 15, 2009, 08:29:45 AM
I'm just wondering, What about adding turn arrows to roads, AVE, OWR, or MIS entering roundabouts? At my town's middle school, there is a roundabout with turn arrows only for entry points.

I've been thinking about that since I started this project as well.  There may be more on that front in the near future. ;)

Quote from: metasmurf on August 15, 2009, 08:47:52 AM
Will this be possible?

Yes, absolutely.  That one will require the use of Type B Road TuLEPs, which will be unveiled soon, plus the piece Maarten suggested.

Quote from: Dexter on August 15, 2009, 10:42:22 AM

I think there's a good probability of it. ;)

Quote from: Tilarium on August 15, 2009, 07:18:54 PM
is that a road to ave conversion piece?  Where did you find it... did you make it... why don't I have it?  Love it!

That's not a Road-to-Avenue transition, but an Avenue-to-MAVE-4 transition from the unreleased/unfinished Network Widening Mod (NWM).  The transition was designed by Daniel (Shadow Assassin), as are those slip lanes in that pic.

-Alex

Ramona Brie

Speaking of which, the only reason I want the NWM is because I can't do the 6-lane road near my house correctly. (Businesses can't exactly face RHW-6C, and it's a surface street instead of a highway.)