• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

art128

Automated texture creation like that is seriously the key to prevent people asking for a SAM like rail setup. (which is not possible) Nice work.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Tyberius06

Actually it is not. :) The Automated Texture is very nice, but it has the limitation that you only can use one type in each city. Which is way better anyway than using only one texture at all, but the ultimate achivement could be a SAM like setup for all networks... :D :D :D
And yess! I know that is not really possible (technical issues and everything else) anyway.
But yepp, this automated setup the closest thing and it's amazing anyway! :)

Thank you!
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

belfastsocrates

This is absolutely fantastic news!

I know RRW developers have felt a little frustrated at times when people have criticised the current textures or continually asked for other options.

Personally I've avoided RRW as I like the greyer colours and would rather have concrete sleepers which are more modern and becoming a lot more common so this pleases me greatly and I now look forward to ripping up all my current railways and using this RRW and fully utilising the superb work that has went into RRW.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

dyoungyn

I feel that is it is amazing and very thankful for anything that comes out for Rail. 

Using RRW will make me enjoy even more and thank you soo much. 

I still wish there was a much better transition like  slope transition to Maxis Elevated Rail.  I understand that Maxis Elevated Rail was not designed for Freight but I can tell you that in my urban areas, there is no Freight at all when I could such a transition.

dyoungyn

mgb204

Well done Stephen for bringing the automated textures to a point of making them a reality. I'm glad you were able to take the foundation I proposed and run with it. The real beauty here is that if you are planning to release the repositories (I think you are), then this makes the potential options for customisation almost limitless.  &apls

Don't like the RRW textures - Now there are no excuses for not using RRW.

Quote from: dyoungyn on November 11, 2016, 05:23:48 AM
I still wish there was a much better transition like  slope transition to Maxis Elevated Rail.

That is exactly what the viaduct rail component of the NAM is for.

Quote from: Tyberius06 on November 10, 2016, 06:12:55 PM
Actually it is not. :) The Automated Texture is very nice, but it has the limitation that you only can use one type in each city. Which is way better anyway than using only one texture at all, but the ultimate achivement could be a SAM like setup for all networks...

Let's just say, whilst possible, the sheer amount of additional code means this simply isn't going to happen.

Simmer2

Wow! Nice to see variation options on demand becoming a reality &apls &apls

One wonders if there will be a base texture set made of the upcoming color schemes, for lot making.

Well done Stephen :thumbsup:

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

MushyMushy

This is actually amazing! This should get some of the stragglers on board with RRW since it seems like their most frequent complaint was textures.

Great work Eggman, MGB, and Rivit!  &apls

dyoungyn

Quote from: dyoungyn on November 11, 2016, 05:23:48 AM
I still wish there was a much better transition like  slope transition to Maxis Elevated Rail.

That is exactly what the viaduct rail component of the NAM is for. (Quoted from MGB 204)

Yes, but that connects from ground rail to viaduct rail and not to Maxis Elevated Rail.  There is indeed a transition piece with a rather steep slope up from ground rail to Elevated Rail.  Again, I know it sounds ridiculous, but Maxis Elevated Rail is more stable when plopping stations and the like then what Viaduct rail is.  Finally, I also again understand the limitations and true nature of ground rail when it comes to Freight.  Now, I cannot talk about what NAM 35 has as I have yet to re-install SC4 on any computer as I am waiting on a machine that can handle it.  When I talk about stability, with Viaduct, if one hovers over with a transit enable lot, the game shuts down.  It is not same with Maxis Elevated Rail.

dyoungyn

Tarkus

Quote from: dyoungyn on November 11, 2016, 08:50:04 AM
When I talk about stability, with Viaduct, if one hovers over with a transit enable lot, the game shuts down.  It is not same with Maxis Elevated Rail.

If you have simmaster07's SC4Fix.dll file, that actually (and amazingly) isn't true anymore.  Additionally, the RRW will be receiving draggable viaducts, with FLEX OnSlopes.

-Alex

APSMS

Quote from: dyoungyn on November 11, 2016, 08:50:04 AM
When I talk about stability, with Viaduct, if one hovers over with a transit enable lot, the game shuts down.  It is not same with Maxis Elevated Rail.

dyoungyn
My friend, do you run on a MAC?

If not, may I direct you to this little piece of awesome?

Just plop it directly in your plugins folder (no sub-directories) for maximum effect. Also, place TE lots next to each other just for kicks.

EDIT: ninja'd. What Alex said.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Seaman

Quote from: Tarkus on November 11, 2016, 08:59:35 AM
If you have simmaster07's SC4Fix.dll file, that actually (and amazingly) isn't true anymore.  Additionally, the RRW will be receiving draggable viaducts, with FLEX OnSlopes.

-Alex

Quote from: APSMS on November 11, 2016, 09:03:20 AM
If not, may I direct you to this little piece of awesome?

Just plop it directly in your plugins folder (no sub-directories) for maximum effect. Also, place TE lots next to each other just for kicks.

EDIT: ninja'd. What Alex said.

wait... what? holy **** how did I miss that? thx so much! could 've saved soo much wasted lifetime...

eggman121

Thanks everyone for the overwhelmingly positive response to the automated re texturing project :)

Just a few questions I have to answer.

Quote from: art128 on November 10, 2016, 05:13:49 PM
Automated texture creation like that is seriously the key to prevent people asking for a SAM like rail setup. (which is not possible) Nice work.

Yeah. Well it would be impossible to make a SAM setup workable so this is the next best thing and as asymptotically close as you will get to a SAM setup.

Quote from: mgb204 on November 11, 2016, 07:11:45 AM
Well done Stephen for bringing the automated textures to a point of making them a reality. I'm glad you were able to take the foundation I proposed and run with it. The real beauty here is that if you are planning to release the repositories (I think you are), then this makes the potential options for customisation almost limitless.  &apls

Don't like the RRW textures - Now there are no excuses for not using RRW.

Robin, You had a big part to play in this as well. Your insight made this all possible! So my metaphorical hat is off to you :thumbsup:

The release of the repositories will get released but it is all dependent of GoFSH. That is Rivit's tool and the key to unlocking the potential of this automation of textures. So that brings in Rivit into the equation. To keep things up to date and to avoid missing sets I will release and share with a few custodians of the D0 sets to keep everything in check. From there a few sets can be created. I am all for collaboration  :)

Quote from: Simmer2 on November 11, 2016, 07:26:45 AM
Wow! Nice to see variation options on demand becoming a reality &apls &apls

One wonders if there will be a base texture set made of the upcoming color schemes, for lot making.

Well done Stephen :thumbsup:

Thanks Nick. I know you have made many RRW Lot textures and am keen to get you on board!

The automated scripting allows for making Lot textures as well. GoFSH was behind the NCD RRW textures pack update and I plan to make some D0's to accompany that project!

In the meantime it is possible to edit your current textures for automation readiness assuming you have them in the layers of Ballast, Sleepers and Rails.

I will talk with you privately in the meantime.

Thanks everyone else for the feedback ()stsfd()

-eggman121 (Stephen)

eggman121

Just dropping these here ::)

A product of rivit, mgb204 and myself.

-eggman121

belfastsocrates

A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

_Michael

compdude787

I love seeing those 7.5m viaducts! Hopefully they'll be in the next NAM version!
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Alan_Waters

Tyberius06

Stunning work with the textures. I like the original RRW colour, but this new one is very nice. I'm actually considering, that I will change my rail lines to this one. And that L1 elevated rail (with the track textures which contains those middle "stabilizer" metal sticks - sorry I'm not an expert, I don't know how they call those things, not even in hungarian), I would like to use as soon as possible, especially those STR crossings - I've just run into that issue in one of my developing cities that I don't have Diag Elevated DTR-Ground Ortho STR crossing.
I can't wait these new gems! :)  :popcorn:
&apls &apls &apls
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Gugu3

gn_leugim