• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FrankU's Lottery - Space Center update

Started by FrankU, October 19, 2009, 02:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

belfastsocrates

It's looking excellent so far! I'd be happy to use this in-game :)

You've also given me some inspiration for the next phase of Passau University's campus
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

kelis

I like the concept, but I think there are some things which does not looks totally good, according with a Dutch university... of course it is my own perspective, but anyway I will share them with you.

1: As Erik said I think it is a bit empty, but I am pretty sure that you gonna work on that.

2: That ultra modern building... mmm I am not sure about how it looks, but I think I can understand why you are using it.

3: For me this is the most important thing, the main building, the tallest building, I think it is too much tall for the size of the university, and watching the picture of the real university, I think you can give an opportunity to some of the buildings created by Ill tonkso, his buildings fits very good with the Dutch university.

Goedenacht :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

FrankU

Thank you, belfastsocrates!

And Kelis,

You think the high rise is too high? I could indeed do a search on one that is less high.
But what is the ultra modern building that you talk about? In my opinion none is ultra modern... so please explain.

FrankU

OK,  I did fool around with props and textures a bit.

Today only details, because the main lay out has not changed.

Please give me your opinions!

vortext

Nice, I see what you meant with the direction of textures now. It's subtle but I do like it. The bike racks underneath various buildings are great details too.  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

romualdillo

Great details everywhere!! It really looks as a modern Dutch university!!  &apls

FrankU

OK, so the Sim University of Technology is released.

LEX

STEX

In the upload you will also find a CO$$ ploppable Landmark and a CO$$ growable Stage 6 lot.
The two CO$$ lots are named Thorbecke Office Complex, after the man who is more or less the founder of the Dutch democratic system and writer of the Constitution of 1848. So some kind of homage seems appropriate.

Have fun with it.

I am nearing the end of my Reward Replacemente Series.

I still have to do:
- radio station
- small sports stadium
- large sports stadium
- opera
- congres center
- TV studio
- zoo
- moviestudio
- space station

- Edit -

I realise I did forget one: the state fair. I changed it into a Farm Fair, because it is situated on the terrains of a farm, like I can find around my city all the time in summer.
I have two versions sitting on my HD for quite a while now. That is because I cannot choose.

I'll show you both and you decide which one I shall release. I put this question also on Simpeg. Double posts will not be counted!

This one is with Haarlemmergold's barn. I can release it immediately.

And this one is with mrbisonm's MFP1 barns. This one has to wait until he releases his MFP 1 set.

So please tell me what to do.

Both farms will, by the way, be part of my Dutch Farms set, just without the fair stuff of course.

Frank

Catalyst

My FrankU folder just keeps getting bigger and bigger  ;)
I'm looking forward to the congress center, I hope it's going to be a really big one.
As for the farm fair, I like both. But I can wait for the MFP1 barns to be released.

w_swietwoot

The tu looks great. One of the best so far. I also like the fair. Very lively and convincing.The one with mrbison barns would be my choice. We have not seen those barns before so its fresh and new.

Jack_wilds

the first one has more going on...
while the second one is a cleaner look and not so cluttered...  :-\
so i will chose the first one reflecting the 'busy-ness' of a farm fair...  :satisfied:
but then again  ::)   ???

FrankU

Did I mention already that unemployment has its advantages?

It has.

Obviously the Farm Fair (which will still be called State Fair in your game) with the Nexis barns is preferred. So we will have to wait for that one until Fred releases his barns set. So it will stay in the parking lot for some more time.

And then I spent some time with the Radion Station, not very much I admit, because it was already finished more or less, the TV studio and the Movie Studio.
In the Movie Studio I changed the western film-scene into a picturesque Dutch village square where a Dutch movie is being recorded.
The main building is the Louis Hartlooper Complex by Meurdoos/marcoheutink. Today it is a cinema and culture-institution in Utrecht. The building itself is a former police station, built in 1927 in Dutch Expressionist (Amsterdamse School) style.

Radio and TV stations are acceptable Maxis BATs, so I decided to keep them as they are. Only some simple park tiles added. You think that is useful?

You like?

P.S.... uuhhh, oh. Is someone interested in some kind of differently modded version, like residential, ploppable landmark, I-HT....? Anything? For these lots a version seems not very obvious, so I tend to leave them out this time for all three lots. But if there are requests... Pesae speak out!

FrankU

Hi friends,

I got two rquests for small changes. One was by Krio (on Simpeg) about the brown backyard area behind one of the Dutch houses in the Movie Studio. I decided to add some crops there.
Another was by Craig-Abcvs (also on Simpeg): he asked for light cones on the studio lights. I decided not to add them, because in the first place all light cones (as far as I know) are pointing to the ground, while the studio lights should point more or less horizontally. So adding them would give awkward results. And secondly that would add another dependency and maybe some compatibility problems with light mods that I know nothing about.
So the studios are in the dark at night.... Maxis should have given us lighting lamps!

Anyway,

The Radio Station, the TV Studio and the Movie Studio are avaliable at LEX and STEX at well known locations.

CasperVg

Thanks a lot! I really like the movie studio and the subtle changes to the radio lot.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

c.p.

I like your use of the curving paths on the radio and TV station lots.  Also, the Dutch village on the movie studio lot was a clever idea &apls

FrankU

Here I am again. Already you ask? Yes, already.
Yesterday afternoon my daughter and wife were out shopping. My son played with a friend next door. I had time by myself.... So now I have soemthing to show. But first the replies.

@ CasperVg

Thanks a lot for the compliment!

@ c.p.

Thank you too! The curved paths are your work. Did I ever thank you for having made them? If not then this is the moment for it: Thanks, Brian! Without your excellent texture set my lots would not have existed.

And now.... I am nearing the end of my Reward Replacement Series.

I still have to do:
- minor league stadium
- major league stadium
- opera
- congres center
- zoo
- space station

And I still haven't released the State Fair.
But I requested for comments about the possible choice which one to release. On Simpeg and here the votes were clear: almost everyone favoured the Nexis version. One voter did not really care; he liked both.
But I also like the Haarlemmergold version and did not want to spoil the building file.

So in the end I decided to release both.

This means that you have to wait for its release until the Nexis MFP set 1 is being released. But then you will find two rewards plus two ploppable landmarks with 121 agricultural jobs in the package. Because of the amount of jobs (I guess) Pim-X gave me a very high plop price: § 315542. Is anyone willing to pay that for a lot?
Not unimportant: in the Dutch Farms Set there will also be growable stage 5 versions of the lots.

But this weekend I spent some time with the Minor League Stadium.

I decided the stadium itself was quite nice for a small one that can be found within a residential area. Actually I live not even 500 meters away from a stadium that looks a bit like this one. So I played a bit with the lot and changed it according to the stadium I have next door. No RL copy, but inspired by it, I'd say.

The entrance prop of the Maxis stadium always irritated me, so I threw it out. Then I added a wall around it, so that visitors have either to stay outside (if they have no ticket) or stay inside (if they do have a ticket). I added a service area with a truck. I added a small snack bar with tables and sunshades. I added a widenend sidewalk area with trees and streetlights where the visitors can come together. And I added a training field plus club house for the players. And a parking area for their sponsored cars.
And in the end I spiced it up with props, stuff, bill boards, dirt, bric a brac, phone booths, glass disposals and a lot of visitors, of course.
I am not completely confident about the entrance area though.....

What do you think?

By the way: c.p. has released a sidewalk mod that perfectly fits my brick streetwork and paths. You should at least give it a try.
It is the CP Brick Version of the SCILT.

vortext

Looks great! The walls around the complex are nice. It may need more parking though and it looks like there's a one tile row available in the front . .  ;)

And maybe also add another entrance, perhaps near the snackbar?   &Thk/(

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

FrankU

The Minor League Stadium.... a sequel

Vortex advised me to add another entrance and extra parking lots.
On Simpeg nos.17 also made a remark about the size of the entrance. It was too small. I concur with both of you and therefore I decided to add a second entrance, but not the parking lots. There are so many parking lots and everyone has their own favorites. By not adding my own favorite everybody can plop their own parking lots, because indeed: there should be some serious parking spaces around the stadium.

nos.17 was not too happy with the clubhouse. It meant as a simple building for dressingrooms, toilets, showers and a canteen.
I did some searching around in the files I already had for this lot, but I could not find anything that suited much better. I did not want to add another dependency, so I decided to keep it. I hope you still like it, nos.17!

The new version. Only minor changes except for the extra entrance.

You like?

Because leribel asked here about a football stadium that can replace the Major League Stadium I am going to make a double set for it: one football and one baseball stadium.
Is there also a request for a baseball Minor League Stadium? I could add one.... if you like.

Why do it simple when it can be elaborate?

Catalyst

I like it a lot, and now that I see the red brick sidewalk mod in action I'm actually starting to consider using it!

gn_leugim

I actualy dont like the red floor  %confuso , but other than that, it looks ok  ()stsfd()

noahclem