• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

I only just got the current build of the ERRW, and I'm presently the only one with the current build of the FTLs, so there's not been an opportunity to do those crosslinks yet.  The code required to get STR to cross the FTLs works on the same principle as what will be needed to get the ERRW, GLR, and HSR support added, so it's only a matter of time.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Alex,

Understood and thank you again for sharing what your have done thus far. 

What was once thought impossible when it comes to crossing RHW with HSR, Rail Viaduct and Maxis Elevated Rail you so graciously and creative to accomplish once again; thank you so much. 

I believe as mentioned, what was once impossible, you made it a reality; so I am confident, you will surprise us all with your tremendous and gracious creations. 

dyoungyn

Kitsune

77000 thats a lot of lines! I hope some of it has been by script.
~ NAM Team Member

jaredh

Looks really great.

I feel really sorry for the poor saps approaching the intersection in the left turn lane.  They have to watch for trains (no lights or arms) and try to figure out what the light is currently showing from 40? feet away and 3 lanes over!   

kbieniu7

Wow, Alex :o I looked trough several last pages and I'm speechless, that's just unbelivable what you are doing  :o

But, if we talk about slip lanes, could I ask for a thing? Would it be possible to create a puzzle piece (or whatever you're capable to get with coding) of a road dividing into two-slip lanes, but not creating an intersection?

In the photo above I made a draft. Left is what I think of. I've already heard from other players somewhere on the forum during last years, that it would be a good addition allowing to create very compact ramps suitable for urban arteries.

And I need to write it once again - you do an amazing job  &apls
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Tarkus

Thanks, Kitsune, jaredh, and kbieniu7 for the very kind words, and all who hit "like" on the last update! :thumbsup:

Quote from: Kitsune on March 05, 2017, 05:43:51 PM
77000 thats a lot of lines! I hope some of it has been by script.

Fortunately, once the internal code logic is worked out, a lot of it is just copy-paste-find-replace, to port it over to other setups that work the same basic way.

Quote from: jaredh on March 06, 2017, 11:08:12 AM
I feel really sorry for the poor saps approaching the intersection in the left turn lane.  They have to watch for trains (no lights or arms) and try to figure out what the light is currently showing from 40? feet away and 3 lanes over!   

:D

I will be adding crossing arms onto all these level crossings once we get closer to release.  I'm also hoping to produce an addendum to jondor's vastly superior crossing gate props to cover the new FTL setups.

Quote from: kbieniu7 on March 06, 2017, 02:04:19 PM
But, if we talk about slip lanes, could I ask for a thing? Would it be possible to create a puzzle piece (or whatever you're capable to get with coding) of a road dividing into two-slip lanes, but not creating an intersection?

In the photo above I made a draft. Left is what I think of. I've already heard from other players somewhere on the forum during last years, that it would be a good addition allowing to create very compact ramps suitable for urban arteries.

I had been thinking about a similar thing, and after seeing your post and working out the internal logic, I worked this up just now:

All 100% draggable, using the new draggable slip lanes.  All one has to do to build it is to just stop the Road at the point where the slip lanes branch off, rather than continuing it.  It's pathed already, too.

I am going to need to add a bit of adjacency stability in order to make it work for NWM setups, but that should be relatively easy.

-Alex

AsimPika3172

Quote from: Tarkus on March 05, 2017, 04:10:06 PM
GLR, anyone?

RUL2 codebase currently sitting at 77,423 lines now.

-Alex

AWESOME!!!  &apls &apls &apls How about..... HIGH SPEED RAIL!  :thumbsup:
I loves Sim City forever!

woodb3kmaster

All in good time. I'm sure Alex intends to make FTL crossings for every network (except maybe GHSR, which wouldn't be consistent with how high-speed rail is set up in real life), but it takes time. Those 77,000 lines of code didn't write themselves, y'know. :D

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

dyoungyn

I could see a use for this formulation.  When one wants to build very compact clover leaf interchanges via roads, one could really use something like this. 

Great job.

I had been thinking about a similar thing, and after seeing your post and working out the internal logic, I worked this up just now:

All 100% draggable, using the new draggable slip lanes.  All one has to do to build it is to just stop the Road at the point where the slip lanes branch off, rather than continuing it.  It's pathed already, too.

I am going to need to add a bit of adjacency stability in order to make it work for NWM setups, but that should be relatively easy.

-Alex

Edit: Fixed quote -Alex

brick_mortimer

Quote from: Tarkus on March 06, 2017, 04:50:26 PM...
[...]
[...]

"I worked this up just now"; "[it] should be relatively easy"  :o
It's amazing what you can cook up in an instant  &apls

Thanks for all the work to keep SC4 alive  :thumbsup:
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

Seaman

Quote from: Tarkus on March 06, 2017, 04:50:26 PM

go for it  :thumbsup:

kbieniu7

I didn't expect so quick and so positive response  :o So, what else you're capable of?

Thanks a lot!  &apls

Tarkus

Thanks, AsimPika3172, woodb3kmaster, dyoungyn, brick_mortimer, Seaman, kbieniu7, and all the "like" folks for the support and kind words on this latest development! :thumbsup:

Quote from: brick_mortimer on March 07, 2017, 03:33:08 AM
"I worked this up just now"; "[it] should be relatively easy"  :o
It's amazing what you can cook up in an instant  &apls

Thanks for all the work to keep SC4 alive  :thumbsup:

It's my pleasure. :thumbsup:  The texture was actually the part that took the longest--around 20 minutes or so.  I've tweaked it a little further since, as I felt it could use a little bit of improvement.

Quote from: kbieniu7 on March 07, 2017, 10:12:59 AM
So, what else you're capable of?

How about a single-sided One-Way Road variant?

This basic idea was actually something that was floated back in 2007-2008, when jplumbley and I were doing some early slip lane prototypes, in the nascent days of NWM development.

-Alex

mgb204

Slip lanes to RD and OWR are very useful... since OWR is possible, how about OWR-1 from the NWM?

Tyberius06

Yepp, I wanted to ask the same. Here in England I've met a few of strange setups, for example a little bit strange angled + crossing, where a main road meets an other road from left hand side, this main road continues as an OWR-1 towards from the crossing, and the road from the left hand side continues as an OWR 2 toward from the crossing.

Well, I do understand that this kind of set up with different types of roads/OWRs are impossible, but is there any chance a set up, where the road continues as an OWR1, after a crossing?

Other thing. Maybe I missed that one, but is there FTL setup for OWR3-4-5?

But anyway, what I can see here as WIP from you Alex is truelly amazing! :) Thank you!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Kitsune

~ NAM Team Member

Edvarz

Quote from: Tarkus on March 06, 2017, 04:50:26 PM

-Alex

Wow! I was walking trough my hometown a while ago and saw a similar setup, I inmediately wondered if it could be part of the NAM someday.

Generally, all this FTL and TuLEP stuff is coming along wonderfully. I can't wait to use them in my cities!

And thanks to all of the NAM team for your continued efforts to keep this game going. :thumbsup:

kbieniu7

Quote from: Tarkus on March 07, 2017, 08:57:12 PM
How about a single-sided One-Way Road variant?

Wow, that was hard.  :o So, what's next? Some GLR crossover compatibilty? :D

Tarkus

First off, thanks to mgb204, Tyberius06, Kitsune, Edvarz, kbieniu7, and everyone for the overwhelming support! :thumbsup:

Now to answer a few questions:

Quote from: mgb204 on March 08, 2017, 02:18:07 AM
Slip lanes to RD and OWR are very useful... since OWR is possible, how about OWR-1 from the NWM?

That's definitely doable--just need to make the textures.

Quote from: Tyberius06 on March 08, 2017, 02:44:48 AM
Yepp, I wanted to ask the same. Here in England I've met a few of strange setups, for example a little bit strange angled + crossing, where a main road meets an other road from left hand side, this main road continues as an OWR-1 towards from the crossing, and the road from the left hand side continues as an OWR 2 toward from the crossing.

Well, I do understand that this kind of set up with different types of roads/OWRs are impossible, but is there any chance a set up, where the road continues as an OWR1, after a crossing?

Other thing. Maybe I missed that one, but is there FTL setup for OWR3-4-5?

But anyway, what I can see here as WIP from you Alex is truelly amazing! :) Thank you!

- Tyberius

With the intersections you've described, a Google Maps/StreetView example of what you've described would be helpful in getting a clearer picture.

As far as the OWR-3/4/5, while it won't happen for NAM 36, they are planned to receive FTL and SITAP support, and I've done some very early initial prototype work.

Quote from: Kitsune on March 08, 2017, 06:12:17 AM
Is a street setup going to be possible ?

Textures are rough here, but the answer is yes.  The slip lane going from the Avenue to the Street has to be constructed differently than the standard setup (OWR out then Street over, rather than OWR out then Road) because of the limitation on true three-network crossings.

Quote from: kbieniu7 on March 08, 2017, 12:04:16 PM
Wow, that was hard.  :o So, what's next? Some GLR crossover compatibilty? :D

You already have me thinking about how to pull that off. :D  It'd probably be quite a ways off, though--the slip lane is already a RUL1 setup between two networks, so adding a third network into the mix makes it rather tricky.

-Alex