• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gn_leugim

A ten years long walk, full of great successes. I hope many more came :)

Simcoug

Congrats NAM - the RHW redefined SC4 in so many ways.   :thumbsup:
And I love your old school RHW pics - classic!

noahclem

An amazing accomplishment for all those whose contributions have built the RHW mod from its relatively humble beginnings into what it is today: one of the biggest, most important, and most popular mods available for SimCity 4 and I believe the largest and most developed area of the NAM. Thanks, Alex, for your special role in contributing vision, talent, and commitment to the project over so many years  &apls &apls &apls

Themistokles

The RHW and the NAM as a whole has been and continues to be a real game-changer. With all this new progress - in draggables, flex solutions, and also RRW - it feels like we're entering a new era of SC4... and that's just so awesome to witness :bnn:
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

roadgeek

It has been a great ride! Every new MOD brings about exciting possibilities. When I first encountered NAM, I was pleasantly surprised to see there was a stack interchange available. Now, we can see on the horizon, the ability to customize our own stack interchanges, and unlimited possibilities seem to keep opening up. I cannot thank you guys enough for your hard work and dedication to this task. You have made an excellent product even better.

b22rian

I am just filled with the utmost appreciation for Alex, and all who have worked on RHW for the past 10 years. I consider it an honor to have been able to use this mod during that time.. I cannot thank all of you enough for the best transit mod sc4 has ever had  &apls

Brian

eugenelavery

RHW really did revolutionize the game. Amazing work from all involved.

EDGE4194

It is absolutely amazing what RHW has become. Thanks to all who have contributed to the project over the years and especially 

Quote from: noahclem on November 17, 2015, 09:01:26 AM
Thanks, Alex, for your special role in contributing vision, talent, and commitment to the project over so many years  &apls &apls &apls

:party:

Tarkus

Thanks to everyone for their kind words about the project on its 10th anniversary. :thumbsup:  And we're not done yet . . .

One of the missing crosslinks out there has been with the GLR/Tram dual-networking, and that's finally getting knocked out. 

In order to accomplish it without having to make 34 puzzle pieces, it actually entailed utilizing a piece of hidden functionality that's been sitting in the NAM for 2 years without much fanfare--semi-draggable Tram-in-Avenue, Tram-in-Road, and Tram-on-Street, which are activated by clicking over the base road network with the El-Rail tool, one tile at a time.  While the RHW can't be dragged right through those, as there's already two networks involved, dragging the RHW right up to the edges of the GLR/Tram-in/on semi-draggable networks gives RUL2 enough of a foothold to make an override possible.

-Alex

matias93

Quote from: jgehrts on December 04, 2015, 08:35:02 AMDo you ever sleep? I'm beginning to wonder!

I think that is the only possible question.  &apls

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

mgb204

Very cool stuff with the GLR crossings, I didn't think it would be so quick  :thumbsup:

Tarkus

Quote from: matias93 on December 05, 2015, 03:41:07 AM
Quote from: jgehrts on December 04, 2015, 08:35:02 AMDo you ever sleep? I'm beginning to wonder!

I think that is the only possible question.  &apls

I do actually sleep quite a bit (had 9 hours last night), though I'm a night owl, especially on days where I'm not working, and can end up with a pretty odd schedule as a result ::).

Quote from: mgb204 on December 05, 2015, 10:18:36 AM
Very cool stuff with the GLR crossings, I didn't think it would be so quick  :thumbsup:

Thanks!  I had the basic logic worked out from an earlier prototype some time ago, and it also operated similarly to some of the OWR signalization stuff.  I've actually coded all the Tram-on-Street, Tram-in-Road, and Tram-in-Avenue crossings for L1-L4 and DD RHWs, but still need to assemble the models and paths for L2-L4--probably about a two-hour task.  The L1s and the DDRHW-4 are completely done. I don't yet know how Tram-on-Road will be implemented to start, though, but as the rest of the functionality will work identically to the existing ones once implemented, I have been assembling the overrides and models along with the ones that are now in place.

Edit: Scratch the two hours business.  Including getting the screenshot and uploading it, it ended up being 47 minutes.

-Alex

mgb204

How hard would it be to include some diagonal support here? I'm really thinking just L1/L2 going diagonally over the GLR would be the most useful crossing. Either way though this is useful, any chance of getting hold of the code/models early please?

Tarkus

I'll have to take a look to see if there's a semi-draggable solution I can set up for the diagonals.  Their footprints are a bit unusual, so I'm not 100% sure--it might entail creating a FLEX piece.

I have a whole ton of stuff that's nearing the point of being ready for internal testing within the next few days, and this will definitely be among that content.

-Alex

Gugu3

JoeST

I really like the idea of clicking the base networks together to create the cool ones :D that's so awesome you're all constantly making this just such a greater game thanks everyone!
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

packersfan

I can't believe RHW has been around for 10 years!  I suppose if I really think about it, yeah...I was probably just phasing out of Fort Cambellsport into Rabourn and maybe I first tried it in Sessquenna (2007 - 2010?).  RHW made a bigger appearance in District of Wenzel: Martin County, but there was still probably more Maxis and one-way roads for my freeway interchanges...maybe DoW: Quisconsin will see full devoted use of RHW...10 years!  Amazing.  To think I've been playing this game since it came out, what 13, 14 years ago...half my life!

Synthael

Thanks for all the work you put into NAM, I wish I could help out, but I don't have a clue where to start  ;D

One question only... Has RHW 6S been "tampered" with since the NAM 33 pre-release? When I installed NAM 33 and started loading different tiles in my region to update highways, I noticed that on regional view (terrain view, the default one) North-South RHW 6S was invisible, I could still see 4, 6C and 8S. On  Not a big deal, everything works normally pathing wise and doesn't bother me, just wondering.

Blue Lightning

Well, I must say I think my hiatus may be ending soon.

Wow. I'm absolutely blown away. Tinkered around with the new NAM for an hour or so and rebuilt an old interchange to make this

Please tell me I'm not dreaming. Besides a few minor fix-with-clicking-around issues (which is to be expected) this was such a pleasant experience to build. :thumbsup:

(And there are no RHW static puzzle pieces in this picture besides the NC pieces and a smooth MIS curve which I'm pretty sure could be replaced. I am impressed)
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Tarkus

Quote from: Synthael on December 09, 2015, 12:07:38 PM
One question only... Has RHW 6S been "tampered" with since the NAM 33 pre-release? When I installed NAM 33 and started loading different tiles in my region to update highways, I noticed that on regional view (terrain view, the default one) North-South RHW 6S was invisible, I could still see 4, 6C and 8S. On  Not a big deal, everything works normally pathing wise and doesn't bother me, just wondering.

There's been no changes to the base network, so I'm not sure why that would be happening.

-Alex