• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

L1 to L2 on-slope transitions?

Started by tomvsotis, August 23, 2015, 08:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomvsotis

Is it possible to build a L1 to L2 on-slope transition using the draggable elevated roads in NAM 32? Trying to do this:

But it doesn't seem to want to work, no matter where i place the flex on-slope piece. Am I doing it wrong, or has this functionality not been implemented yet?

mgb204

Seemingly not. I think the problem is that unlike the RHW equivalent, the road viaducts do not work in quite the same way, as you are unable to drag the road through the on-slope piece without causing the terrain to change. As a result the on-slope transition will always default to L1 (in this instance) on the other side rather than adjust to L2.

After quite a lot of faffing about, I have found a workaround though that will make this work. I warn you the RHW will probably need moving a few tiles right or the transition a few tiles left to make this work:

• Fig 1 - First, raise the terrain so you can add a L2 transition as shown.
  • Fig 2 - Now remove every tile except the transition itself (when you delete the rightmost road tile from Fig 1, the tile next to the L2 transition reverts to a stub, which can be safely removed). Then flatten the remaining terrain back to the original height, leaving just one tile where the L2 transition resides
  • Using the technique by McDuell to terraform in-game without deleting the L2 transition, found here, flatten the terrain where the L2 transition sits. I found I had to use the smallest brush size to level such a delicate spot, but it's quite easy to find the bump in the terrain by keeping an eye on the height of the terrain for a 7.5m change/bump. If you are not familiar with this technique it may take a little practise to familiarise yourself with it first, whatever you do, backup your region (by copying the entire folder) before you start.
  • Fig 3 - Back in SC4, make sure you have a gap as shown of 3 tiles in the L1 road, do not attempt to drag the road directly into the L2 transition, it will mess up.
  • Fig 4 - Plop a L1 starter in the middle of the gap and drag three tiles as shown in fig 4 (road stubs show where the starter must be, rail indicates the tiles to drag the new road)

The paths all line up, so I would be confident such a setup would work in practise, the RHW would likely need to go to the right of the rail in Fig 4 or it will interfere with the starters. Either way if you remember to save once you've got the transition in place, you can experiment and just exit without saving if something goes wrong allowing you to experiment.

tomvsotis

wow, thank you for such an extensive response. much appreciated. I'll give this a try! :)