• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

"Tunnel" Bridge

Started by smoncrie, July 22, 2011, 07:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoncrie

Here is a new kind of bridge I have been working on.  I call it a "tunnel" bridge.  It goes down about 100m and levels out.

The bridge carries traffic like any bridge, but this traffic cannot be seen on the bridge, except underwater using the water pollution view.  Even then, the traffic can only be seen for a short time.

As you can see the models have not been textured or decorated with fences and air vents.  Unfortunately this takes me a long time since I am still not very good with BAT.

It also cannot be released very soon because:
   1) It needs a NAM update
   2) I don't have any official Bridge ID's that I can use.

Any feedback would be welcome.

jacksunny

Good idea!!! It will be very useful  &apls

Do re mi
I'm incomplete

threestooges

As far as I can see, the ground highways have some placeholders left.
0xEBE084D1

The IID for the bridge: 0x0000A114

Model IDs, not sure how many you'll need, but there are plenty open starting at: 35000000

Let me know how many you will need, and I'll make note of it.
-Matt

nbvc

Great idea. &apls Can a ferry pass it?

Terring7

Looking forward to see this idea in roads, streets, railroads e.t.c. &dance
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Simcitler

I dreamed about such a "bridge" some time ago. As it functions like a normal bridge ferry's might pass without problems. An "official" YES for this point would be great!

Great idea!  &apls

io_bg

That's a fantastic idea indeed. Will be very useful  :thumbsup: &apls
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

smoncrie

threestooges,

Thanks for the ID.  The Tunnel Bridge uses 13 models.

nbcv,Simcitler,

I have not tested it, but a ferry should be able to pass.

In fact the ferry might go right through a part of the bridge that is still above the surface.  This can be prevented by making the water too shallow for the ferry to cross that part of the bridge.

Evillions8

You're a flipping genius!!!  &apls &apls :shocked2:

peter007

This is very cool.  &apls
Only some improving on the models and it's good to go.

Skimbo

A very interresting project, good work!
The Dragon Island Cities journal at SC4Devotion

For a Dragon Islands video click here

kassarc16

Very nice! The big question, though, is will it let boat traffic pass?

FrankU

In terms of squeezing possibilities out of SC4 this is another jump, but what exactly is the use of this bridge? Somehow I think it's easier to use a subway to highway lot and just cross the water with the subway. Or do you intend to use this bridge in order to cross subways?

Terring7

Those lots can't transform the freight trucks into subway trains.
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

threestooges

Quote from: FrankU on August 03, 2011, 06:55:52 AM
In terms of squeezing possibilities out of SC4 this is another jump, but what exactly is the use of this bridge? Somehow I think it's easier to use a subway to highway lot and just cross the water with the subway. Or do you intend to use this bridge in order to cross subways?
I think it's meant to be more of a visual thing that anything. It'll function just like any other bridge in the game (or at least it should) and it'll just have the effect of appearing to send Sims driving underwater as opposed to over it. Perhaps it's an incentive to keep the water pollutant free for better viewing pleasure.

Quote from: kassarc16 on August 03, 2011, 01:55:29 AM
Very nice! The big question, though, is will it let boat traffic pass?
Most likely it will. There are options available where you can select aspects of the bridge to not be obstructions to water traffic. (Granted, as far as I recall, if you don't want them to be obstructions, it's easiest to just remove the obstruction property from the file, and they'll work fine. The only issue that may arise there is that it's possible boats may appear to sail "through" the bridge.

Looking forward to seeing the next bit of development on this.

smoncrie

What is this "tunnel" bridge for?  It is really meant to be an easier way to make a tunnel that crosses water.  I first thought of it, years ago when I was reading a tutorial on how make an SC4 tunnel that crosses water. (You raise the ground above water, create the tunnel, and sink the ground back under water.)  As implemented, the "Tunnel" bridge carries traffic like a tunnel, a bridge, or any stretch of highway.  This means that it has the same capacity, and congestion as a highway.  And like a highway it will carry passengers, freight, fire trucks, and U-Drive-It vehicles. Like any bridge it also carries electricity, and like most bridges, it will not obstruct boat traffic.

In the real world, underwater tunnels are built along the bottom of the water or completely underground.  This is not practical when you need to cross a deep body of water that has steep sides, like a fjord.  Engineers have suggested that it could be done by having part of the tunnel going through the middle of the water column, rather than along the bottom.  This part of the tunnel would be held in place by cables and the buoyancy of the tunnel.  It would far enough down so that it would not block shipping or be affected by waves.

I was thinking of a tunnel like this when I created the "Tunnel" bridge.  I tried using cables on the centre section, but I found that it looked better if it was supported by pylons.  The transparent top is to make it look more interesting. Note: The centre section can only be seen on long bridges in deep water; shorter bridges only have the sloping parts.

The "Tunnel" bridge is one of a number of "different" bridges I have thought about:

A canal bridge.  Because of the way canals are implemented, it is difficult to make it carry both canal passengers and cannel freight.

An underwater power cable bridge.  This bridge would consist of nothing but transformer stations at each end of the bridge; it would carry electricity but not traffic.

A lift or swing bridge.  It may be possible to make a bridge that closes whenever there is rail, elevated rail, or monorail traffic.  I can do the animation, but I am not sure that I can insure that the bridge is completely closed before a train begins to cross the bridge.

kassarc16

Quote from: smoncrie on August 03, 2011, 05:39:13 PMA lift or swing bridge.  It may be possible to make a bridge that closes whenever there is rail, elevated rail, or monorail traffic.  I can do the animation, but I am not sure that I can insure that the bridge is completely closed before a train begins to cross the bridge.

Using a minimum length for the bridge and placing the animation triggers back far enough from the span would seem to be the best method!

This all sounds great regardless!

dedgren

If we can do that, Stephen, then surely we can make an underbridge road out of this.

Just sayin'.  Nice work, btw, figuring that out.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

smoncrie

kassarc16,

The problem is that the trigger can only detect the train from a short distance.  This might force the animation to be too fast and/or not smooth.

David,

I am not sure what you mean about my figuring out something.  I certainly cannot take credit for getting tunnels to cross water.

I see that your picture contains a flat tunnel that crosses water.  (Or do you now call it an underbridge road? I am so out of touch!)

Is this what you were thinking of?   As you can see, it is a flat tunnel that crosses water and it carries cars, freight, and buses.  It works, but I am not sure it is practical to have it crossing water.