• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Automated Grass/Sidewalk texturing.

Started by mgb204, May 04, 2015, 04:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Mgb love what you are doing here with the wealth of the textures for Sidewalks and grass!!! I would slap ya with a K-Point if I could :thumbsup: 

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Bipin

requested

This is a great project and a big step forward for everyone.

I downloaded GoFSH and your repository today and gave it a go just now. I use Sudden Valley, Gobias' Sidewalk Mod and NAM 33 Preview.
Extracting the *.bmp was no problem, but running the US_RHD script immediately returned an error.
Fatal Errors encountered - Missing D0? with EDIT, ending RUN

Shortly after thtat message, GoFSH stops working with the following error message:
Description:
  Stopped working

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01: gofsh.exe
  Problem Signature 02: 2.8.5.38468
  Problem Signature 03: 557ff8ee
  Problem Signature 04: System.Drawing
  Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
  Problem Signature 06: 55962b8e
  Problem Signature 07: 198
  Problem Signature 08: 16
  Problem Signature 09: System.ArgumentException
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID: 2057

I probably made some mistake somewhere, I'll keep you updated :)

mgb204

The error tells me that it's not been able to find the D0's (Definition Alphas) which are required for generation.

The most likely cause of the error, you've moved files/folders after extracting the zip file or altered them in some way. For the scripts to work everything must be extracted exactly as contained within the zip files. Simply moving one of the scripts or texture folders will cause this error, it must be keep as is, as one whole to work. Unless you want to modify the scripts to account for changes at least.

requested

I downloaded the package again to be sure, and I ignored the options this time. But the error remains the same.
Through google I found some tips to check .NET for errors, but they didn't help yet.

I suspect some changes I made to my Win7 installation, maybe I'll try to reinstall Windows tonight. Was planned for quite some time anyway.
I'll report any changes :)

mgb204

One thing that might cause you problems is admin privileges, depending on where you've installed the files. I'd make a temp folder in your user documents for extracting the archive, that should be pretty safe. Ensure you've administrator access to your machine also.

-Update-
I'll double check the installer if you still have problems. I've moved on so far from the original pre-release that I'd probably have to download it myself to be sure of the results.

Just checking the downloaded package now. Under Win7 64 with full Admin rights I can run the US_RHD script from My Documents\Temp\ without error to completion.

GoFSH should not install without the correct version of .NET installed. For help with GoFSH you'll need to speak to Rivit since that's his baby. That said I'm pretty sure that's not the problem here. The error tells me it can't find some of the included textures, since they do exist, your computer or GoFSH is not able to access them at the expected location for whatever reason? Hence I'm thinking Admin rights if you are sure you've not moved or altered anything in the folder "MGB Sidewalk NAM Public Repository".

To be clear the folder/file structure is very specific within this folder. Simply removing/renaming anything can break the script entirely.

mgb204

I've just heard another user with a similar problem. I checked the link to GoFSH and there are multiple versions available for download. The scripts were written for 2.8.5, I ran the testing on my latest build 2.8.8.1283. I couldn't say with certainty if the scripts would work with newer versions. Too much has changed and my files are very different now. Therefore if you've a newer version than 2.8.5 installed, I'd try uninstalling it and using 2.8.5 for the moment.

Otherwise I'm looking into the problem, I'll report back if I can replicate the issue.

:Update:

In the other case the problem was the use of 512x512 textures. Per-chance are you trying to use Gobias' HD sidewalk textures to generate your set? If so, either re-scale the textures to 128x128 or find the SD textures (also included for each set) and use those instead for generation.

YouBet

A terrific mod...

Worked beautifully right out of the box.

I was able to edit the alphas that you enclosed and run the script to create my own no-grass mod.

Thanks for the work.

mgb204

Actually I've been moving my Terrain Grass NAM repository to work with the newer automation method used for the Sidewalk textures. I can switch between two sets of Definition Alphas on the fly that changes the generated results from grass to show full sidewalks on all the NAM textures.

This is based on TGN, for which I tried to track down all the regular grass textures and change, so it should be up to date with NAM 33.

The current pre-release of my No Grass NAM (NGN) mod can be downloaded here. It's pretty much finished, although you might find a couple texture problems. Feedback on any problem textures would be helpful to ensure a better quality final release.

Themistokles

I was just thinking the other day that I'd start a thread asking if there were a mod like this somewhere, and now here it is :D The moderators must say if this is correct and proper and all of that, but to my mind your continuous work on everything sidewalk-related really deserves another K-point
&apls
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

kelis

Hello guys,

I'm writing here because I want to know more about this... I really want to adapt my sidewalk textures to the rest of NAM pieces, specially with the GLR but I have a lot of questions... How can I do it ? One of the links is broken...

can somebody help me with this ? I'm using the last version of NAM.

Thanks and Greetings
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

mgb204

Which Link is that?

Probably the one to GoFSH, sorry it keeps changing I have a hard time keeping up with it. Although I sense we're nearing a proper release for that soon :).

For now, you can find that here. If you are having other problems, let me know and I'll help you however I can.

Update:

Release version of GoFSH with scripting capability is now on the STEX.

kelis

Hello and Thanks for the quick reply.

Actually I'm not sure what I have to do, I've try to read the readme but I'm not sure what I have to do, where I have to start, etc...

Few months ago I've created my own sidewalk mod, it works very good in my asian cities but It does not affect the GLR and intersections and I would like to change that because I would like to make something that I have on my mind...

Is there another way ? or the only way is using GoFSH ? I never use that programa and I have no idea how it works...

Thanks for your time and Greetings  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

mgb204

Well it really depends on a number of factors.

The preview of the automated sidewalk mod covers everything. However, it splits the output into a number of DATs, so you can only use those pieces you require.

GoFSH's scripting capability is key to the process. Rather than manually extracting and editing each texture. Simply download my repository, install GoFSH and run the included script from my repository in GoFSH. Out comes a mod containing your sidewalks on all the NAM pieces. Step by Step instructions are included for running the scripts. If there is a step you are stuck with, post here and I'll walk you through it.

kelis

I tried again but I'm not able to do it... I just don't understand the way to do this and I starting to feel stupid  %confuso ... I think I will wait until the final version is available... in any case I will give you the link of a sidewalk mod that I found yesterday...

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3327

Is it possible for you use this sidewalk "Catalysts Asphalt Sidewalk Extension Mod" and your mod and then send me the files via email for example ?

Sorry for the inconvenience  ;)
.                                                                                                                      

mgb204

The final version won't be any different. The process is as simplified as we can make it. The hardest part is probably extracting the sidewalk textures. But GoFSH makes that very simple. That's not completely documented, since the feature was not around when I wrote the readme.

However, I know too well many prefer "Ready to Use" mods. As such I will release a few sidewalk variants with an installer for such purposes. As it happens, Catalyst has already agreed for his sidewalk mod to be one of the supported ones. I can do one better, since I already made a preview for Catalyst's mod. I believe it's only in EU RHD guise right now, but you can find that here.

Hopefully I will be able to get other sidewalk creators on-board with this too.

kelis

Thank you so much ! It works good with that sidewalk mod.

I don't know why, I mean I never had problems with the programs of simcity world, but yesterday I was trying to make this and I was not able, today I took with more patience and the result was the same... may a tutorial with pictures could help ? If you have time you can try  :D

I think this mod is a very nice addition for the game, I always wanted to use the GLR system but those maxis textures...
now we can have the mod with our own textures... I hope in the future I'm able to create the files for my Asian cities with my concrecete sidewalk texture...

Thanks again for your help, really thanks !

.                                                                                                                      

mgb204

Such a readme with pictures does exist. It goes into everything step by step, check the folder "~Readme" in the extracted repository it should all be there.

Mikey Knox

Is there a Way to give the ugly default Maxis GLR Textures Custom ones like in your old MBG SEN?

Btw really nice Tool, now i can change my Textures within 10 Minutes  :thumbsup:

mgb204

Quote from: Mikey Knox on October 30, 2016, 04:15:13 PM
Is there a Way to give the ugly default Maxis GLR Textures Custom ones like in your old MBG SEN?

Btw really nice Tool, now i can change my Textures within 10 Minutes  :thumbsup:

There are potential issues with releasing those in their raw form. As such until now I have refrained from doing so.

GLR is by far and away the largest single element of the mod, over 50% of the textures overall if I remember correctly. Therefore I have yet to come up with a better alternative to using the default Maxis middle textures with sidewalks on the edges.