• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BAT Showcase

Started by mattb325, February 01, 2007, 04:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsune

gezz thats incredible !!
~ NAM Team Member

theaveragephil

I just died and went to heaven

bladeberkman

Gorgeous! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go and blast all of my Maxis museums with disaster-mode meteors...

omgitskosc

FAr and away some of the most exceptional non-grid conforming content I've ever seen. That museum is delicious and I adore how those colors really pop. :thumbsup:

art128

Nice museum, very modern but yet not too distracting.
The diagonal parks and parkings are a very welcomed filler solution. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

fantozzi

@Kitsune - sorry. Rainbow and weed, you know ...

... err ... oh ... ah ... I'm really not closefisted with words and post every gay thought right from the heart

... but speechless ...

The museum reminds me of the Staatsgalerie Stuttgart, Germany, designed by Sir James Frazer Stirling. Matt is operating on the same level as the most famous architects of our times!  :o Gobsmacking!  :o

fantozzi

Just a fantozzi-idea: &idea
would it be possible instead of the big museum sign on the wall, to place a timed prop with changing advertisings for exhibitions?

But I could do also some advertising for Korver exhebitions etc.

Andreas

This reminds me a lot of the "Technoseum" in Mannheim, Germany, which isn't as colorful, but using the same modern approach with lots of different angles, and it doesn't really look like a typical museum, as it could serve as building with some fancy condominiums as well. I like fantozzi's idea of using some exhibition ad. Oh yeah, and for the parking lot, I'd vote for a white zebra crossing at least (all of your pics have white ones, too ;) ).
Andreas

Tyberius06

Nice FAR stuffs!
I like the museum, very nice BAT, also supporting Fantozzi's ideas with the seasonal/timed exhibition advertising props.
Thanks for making these FAR buildings!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

fantozzi

I missed this, but better late than never:

paddy0174

Really? WOW!

Congratulations MattB325, you are doing amazing stuff, it's no wonder, you get these numbers of downloads!

TBH, one quarter of my plugin folder is your stuff, one quarter Simmer2, and all others are the other half! Guess what, it's amazing. I only left out a few of your downloads, because I have no city to fit in, but these are two or three, not more!

Thanks for your work, it's greatly appreciated. *thumbsup*
Back to the game after nine years - and everyday I find something totally new! :)

mattb325

Thanks guys, glad you like the museum...it turned out kinda well for something I made up.

Fantozzi, thankyou for my banner  :thumbsup:

Now, with the museum, I can't make the sign change. It is deep in the lods and would require some major surgery to effect it.

Instead, I whipped something else up to make use of these cool posters (I'll probably also make them separate props too).

It's a bit more boxy, and a bit more retro than the last, but I have explored the idea that the building has been renovated and expanded with the underground section, while the main building was given a glass box facade:

And please before someone says "oh but the windows look empty and you have to put something else apart from the small benches there" remember, only a fool would hang priceless art in the sun and the purpose of a gallery is as much about contemplative, uncluttered space as it is about the pieces on the wall.

gutterclub

That glass is absolutely stunning!!!! Would love it if you were kind enough to share the mat settings? I'd like to make a smalll office tower with a similar setup.

Loving everything you are pumping out, a true living legend!!! Thanks for staying on the scene

belfastsocrates

A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

art128

That's absolutely brilliant!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Andreas

Now that is very (post-) modern alright, those curved steps with the large grass part are really lovely! The very first thing that came into my mind when I saw those slopes was "Whoa, we need some skateboarders here!", though. ;) Not many BATters have played with that kind of landscaping with different levels, and there's a severe lack of (semi-) public open spaces like this in the game.
Andreas

mattb325

Thanks guys! @ Gutterclub, these are the settings for this. Note I am in the old-school material editor for this (it's easier for this than the slate editor).

Glass is the standard arch & design "glass - thin geometry" and I have made no changes except for adding a slight bump map. It works out of the box almost every time:

What gives this the 'bronze tinted' feel without having to think about it is the floor that I have chosen. Again, standard arch & design 'glossy varnished wood' with no changes except to dull the slightly orange hue:

It gives a very complex feel to the glass because of all of the glass roof lights that flood the interior with sunlight and is super-quick and without any effort.

In a standard boxy office, you'll end up with a visual result closer to the top right-hand rear corner of the taller building; so you may want to use the polished tiles instead and play around with the colours to achieve the look. It's generally much easier than trying to get bronze-tinted, see-through glass using the normal methods. In all cases don't select the 'fast' checkbox.

Hope that helps

fantozzi

Thank you for the art banners I like them. Imho they are placed a little bit close to the building, second picture, and maybe, now, with this darker building they should be reduced in saturation a little bit - but the bat ...

... well gutterclub and Andreas said it alread ... wow. The play of reflections and transparancy ... wow... the play with upper and lower areas, with straight and curves ...wow, wow, wow.  &dance To me that could be bat of the year. But ...
...you did so many delicacies or feasts for the eyes this year, so many usefull additions, it's hard to judge.

And always, when I think - this can't get any better, you belie me. So I won't say anymore: this or that is your best. What I learned from you: such sentences, being right this day, can be wrong the next day, because again you set the level of batting higher.

:o

noahclem

Oh crap, I need to move my priceless pieces of art   ::)

Somehow makes me think of Spaceballs' "sounds like a code an idiot would put on his luggage"

Anyway, love the last showing, things are getting almost Escher-esque around the art museum  ;D

mattb325

Thanks guys, I always see lots of imperfections when I look at my work, but that's just me.... &ops

And I learnt about priceless art the hard way. I hung my Dürer watercolour in the ensuite bathroom (I thought the taupe colour and lines of the hare complemented the calacatta marble fixtures beautifully) but the shower steam ultimately turned it into a Picasso-like bunny. Sothebys declined to auction it thereafter, nor would they offer a refund on my initial purchase price. I was most unimpressed.

I've uploaded another couple over the last few days:

1) Watco manufacturing. A real building that despite being manufacturing doesn't look completely toxic:

https://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3701

2) The Galleria Cruise Ship terminal. Certainly not a real building, but certainly monstrously plausible  ::)

https://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3706

Today's offering is a church

And the far version: zoning + couple of ped malls + the little batted park enable the game to fill the surrounding area with pavement for a resonably seamless look:

That largely concludes the FAR civics for this pack. I'll also include the little blood donation center clinic (re-rendered at 18.4 degrees) from a few pages back which will make about 20 new buildings in total. Not bad for a throw away line 5 pages ago....
I'll bat a few of the smaller ones as Ortho, make some FAR-3 props (hedges/benches/cars and parking lines/concrete stops) and then the pack will be good to go.