• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsune

Yeah those diagonal height changes are going to be beloved and a huge thing. It will dramatically change the amount of interchanges possible.
~ NAM Team Member

Gredelj

Not as sophisticated as some other intersections showcased, but it deals with the commute demands between residential and commercial area.

Seaman

Welcome to SC4D, Gredelj, and thx for sharing the pictures. I can really feel how this interchange is grown and built by actually playing the game :)

Haljackey

Very neat, thanks for sharing!

-----

1.5 interchanges and a rail junction

Full size: https://i.imgur.com/ttIFi45.jpg

EDIT: Just realized I screwed up one of the road markings. Ah well... Fixed now in my game lol

Hi all,been a bit busy tonight :).

Haljackey

Expanding a 3-way interchange into a 4-way.

Wiimeiser

Okay... Where does the new route go to?

Also, some houses are inaccessible, and you seem to be missing width transitions on the new part, but I assume you have plans for those...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Haljackey

Quote from: Wiimeiser on August 21, 2018, 06:17:58 AM
Okay... Where does the new route go to?

Also, some houses are inaccessible, and you seem to be missing width transitions on the new part, but I assume you have plans for those...

New route climbs the mountain!

Yes this is still a work in progress. The cut off area will likely be totally demolished and replaced by a forest or something. Transitions, signs, lights, cosmetic pieces, beautification, etc all still to come once I finalize the design. That loop might get some better geometry as there is some extra space to make the curves a bit smoother.

Kitsune

Would of been nifty if you kept the original interchange and expanded on that.
~ NAM Team Member

Haljackey

Quote from: Kitsune on August 21, 2018, 08:42:08 AM
Would of been nifty if you kept the original interchange and expanded on that.

...That's exactly what I tried to do actually. All of the original connections remain, just moved a bit to accommodate the new connections.

I actually drafted up a few designs in my mind before I settled on this one.

-----

They all keep the original design.

CasperVg

I feel a bit dirty about this on/off-ramp on the left.. Used by about 60k sims per day

At least it's compact.. right?
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

CasperVg

Two sections of highway that I've previously shown - but now after some serious upgrades to serve severely increased traffic..

Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Haljackey

Finished the interchange expansion from 3 way to 4 way.

Click images for full size.

All of the original trumpet connections remain

I call this the ramp forest

Zoom out

EDIT: Imgur album of progress
https://imgur.com/gallery/hEPy48Z

Haljackey

Two slope-restrictive interchanges in the hills

Click images for full size.

More pics on the Simtrop thread
https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/35443-show-us-your-interchanges-the-sequel/?page=144

Wiimeiser

Is this the same highway you branched off that trumpet interchange earlier?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Haljackey

Quote from: Wiimeiser on September 04, 2018, 01:41:30 AM
Is this the same highway you branched off that trumpet interchange earlier?

Yes - it is climbing the mountain. Here's another diamond placed on it - some scary drops on the interchange if you plow through the barrier lol

bladeberkman

Howdy y'all,

The last time I made a turbine (http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=252.msg514731#msg514731), I was unhappy with the through-capacity. Here's another with more lanes and a frontage network. In spite of the larger footprint, it doesn't look too boxy (which tends to happen the larger these turbines get). 

I'm particularly happy with this bit of compact, diagonal, flex-height trickery. 1) Place the L1 Flex Fly; 2) Remove the L1 Flex Fly stub with the RHW disconnector; 3) Incorrectly overlap a diagonal L1 Flex Height transition on the level ground below (producing a sharp/steep, glitched look), 4) Use the 7.5m ground-raiser to raise some nearby terrain to the L1 Flex Fly level, 5) Plop individual road tiles to raise the adjacent terrain and "lift" the glitched L1 Flex Height transition to the corresponding L1 Flex Fly level, 6) draw the ramp.

-Blade

noahclem

That's some pretty awesome work man  :popcorn: I feel a bit bad or like I was missing out not having seen the previous junction you linked to :D Toronto-style collector/distributor 4-way interchanges are no doubt among the RHW holy grails and you're definitely breaking new ground here with style, implementation, and technique. I don't have any concrete suggestions for improving on it but wish there was a way to have those north-south frontage roads move through the interchange with more than just flups.

But even more importantly, that diagonal on-slope technique is just awesome  &apls  I've been wondering for a while if something like that is possible or, indeed, what the adjacency limitations of that transition are as it can be useful in tons of interchange ideas and for the most complex interchanges that 1 tile of space saved on both x and y axes, especially if it's on both sides of the interchange, can make a huge difference for both compactness and aesthetics!

I figured I'd wait for my next MD update to showcase this plan I'm really excited about but there's a decent chance that won't happen for a while so here goes. While working on the map and transport outline for my new region I tried to set myself up for as many unique and interesting interchange possibilities as I could--including another "holy grail", the semi-directional 5-way RHW junction. There's a whole lot of paper in notebooks or my recycling with crappy attempts at making this work but eventually I stumbled onto a layout I think is really promising. The setting is adjacent to the planned central tile, between it and most of the planned port, with the rough natural terrain of swampy river delta and hilly island providing some excuse for it's sprawling layout and very high capacity needs. The northeastern highway is intended to be a quick way to get to surface streets in the city center while the other 4 are major highways in the region. But for now it remains just a "twinkle in my eye" and some graphite on graph paper ;)

latest iteration:

I'm making use of all 5 levels (would be fun to make it 6 by including tunnels or flups but wasn't a natural-seeming way to do so) and trying to take advantage of the widest-radius curves I can. There are connecting ramps directions but the ones connecting the northeast business spur to north- and east-bound highway traffic could be removed. In a number of places the planned level of the RHW is noted (L0-L4)

bladeberkman

I wish I could draw. Think of all the time I could save on on trial and error.  ::)

Seriously, that's an exciting concept and I bet it will be easier to create with some forthcoming diagonal RHW content.

By the way, here was my abandoned attempt at running those frontage roads through the turbine. Might be able to pull it off one day, but it's almost entirely airborne and a bit messy/unrealistic.  :D

Seaman

I was scrutinizing for my SC4 region on google maps when I came across this intersection and I just had to get my hands dirty...