• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Durfsurn's Mayor Diary - Currently in "???" - Teaser 5

Started by Durfsurn, August 06, 2014, 01:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durfsurn

The Kingdom Of Samsonia

Contents
Update 1 - Introduction and Background Information - 6.8.14
Teaser 1 - CBD Sneek Peek - 7.8.14
Update 2 - Downtown Castlemaine and More! - 10.8.14
Teaser 2 - Night Time! - 13.8.14
Update 3 - Big Box Building - 22.8.14
Teaser 3 - 7.9.14
Map Update 1 - Maps & Labels - 19.9.14
Teaser 4 - 12.10.14
Update 4 - Construction and (another) Video - 30.11.14
Teaser 5 - 30.5.15
Map Update 2 - Greater Franklin - 01.07.14
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone,
This is to be my new place of showing off my SimCity 4 endeavours throughout my current set of cities and regions. It is a fairly random MD with no real story line (right now anyway) but more of a place of my random snaps. Being an active NAM Team member, I may include things not yet available to the public and other unreleased teaser content. Please do not flood this MD with questions like "Where can I get xyz?" or "When is the next NAM coming out?" etc. But now onto some more MD related stuff.

Update 1 - Introduction and Background Information

Welcome to my current SC4 work-in-progress - 'The Kingdom of Samsonia'. Currently only having 2 fully developed cities, it is my newest embark in our great game. The current seat of Government (until I build a Capital City) is Castlemaine. Currently Castlemaine covers 1.5 city tiles while Greater Castlemaine (and surrounding area's such as Cape Castlemaine) spans 6 tiles. It has a current population of around ~90,000, with ~87,000 in the central 2 tiles. It is serviced by Castlemaine International Airport, a single runway, single terminal airport with plans for a second bout of land reclamation or a whole new airport to be built. With no major highways, the main form of transport around the centre is a large scale subway system and buses running throughout the city, however a newly build express way runs from the north shores of Allington down to the entry to the airport. Government House is featured on the aptly named 'Capital Hill', with four major avenues converging here. The Barry C. Hughes Bridge is a mammoth 2 lane, 2.5 km bridge spanning the North Castlemaine Bay and was a major construction. Many have called for it to be demo'ed in favour of a ferry service, but in typical fashion of the C-DOT, they want to keep it. Surrounding the city is a State Forest in the east, the 'Castlemaine Foothills' to the north, and Cape Castlemaine to the south. North west of the CBD is North Castlemaine Bay while directly south of it, beyond the foreshore is a protected area of South Castlemaine Bay. Further West and surrounding the runway and Westside, is the Ashton Sea, which in turn spills into the larger Trumen Ocean.

Here is a small map (albeit slightly outdated) of Greater Castlemaine with some labels. There is one without, here.

I think that will be all for now. I will aim to update with replies every week or so and if not every second with pictures.

All the best to you readers,

-Billy

Tarkus

Billy, this is an excellent start here--your region looks quite nice, and I look forward to seeing it up close.  The airport setup kind of reminds me of San Francisco Airport.  And it sounds like C-DOT sounds like my kind of DOT, having a backbone on the bridge matter. :thumbsup:

-Alex

noahclem

Glad to see you've started an MD Billy! I'm not familiar with your building style and look forward to seeing your cities develop. If the region view and planning thoughts are any indication this will be an area worth following indeed  :thumbsup:

compdude787

Nice new region! I really like it so far. Great job, and I look forward to seeing more pictures of your cities. :)
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

weixc812

Welcome to ALFERRID(UPDATE 5-District C)
And my other pics at SimCityChina:click here

Durfsurn

Teaser Time!

A sneek peek at the East side of the CBD...

Replies and full update on Saturday. (Yes, I am into the game right now so I am pushing out a few early updates quickly! :P)

-Billy

EDIT: Fixed Image.

vortext

Nice region by the looks of it, both in terms of geography and developments. However, I cannot see the teaser pic.  &mmm

And look at that, you already have a table of contents going. . which reminds me. .  ;)

Looking forward to the next update!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

compdude787

Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Durfsurn

Replies:

Quote from: Tarkus on August 06, 2014, 01:07:04 AM
Billy, this is an excellent start here--your region looks quite nice, and I look forward to seeing it up close.  The airport setup kind of reminds me of San Francisco Airport.  And it sounds like C-DOT sounds like my kind of DOT, having a backbone on the bridge matter. :thumbsup:

-Alex
Thanks Alex and yes the DOT does have an, erm, stubborn view on things :P

Quote from: noahclem on August 06, 2014, 06:20:54 AM
Glad to see you've started an MD Billy! I'm not familiar with your building style and look forward to seeing your cities develop. If the region view and planning thoughts are any indication this will be an area worth following indeed  :thumbsup:
Why thank you Noah. Not sure if I really have a distinctive 'building style' quite yet.

Quote from: compdude787 on August 06, 2014, 08:26:32 AM
Nice new region! I really like it so far. Great job, and I look forward to seeing more pictures of your cities. :)

Quote from: weixc812 on August 06, 2014, 06:13:41 PM
Can't wait to take a close look at downtown!  ;D
Wait no more! And also Happy Birthday for the 13th!

Quote from: vortext on August 07, 2014, 10:41:08 AM
Nice region by the looks of it, both in terms of geography and developments. However, I cannot see the teaser pic.  &mmm

And look at that, you already have a table of contents going. . which reminds me. .  ;)

Looking forward to the next update!  :thumbsup:
Sorry the pic was broken but I fixed it soon after - hope you saw it before the full update :P Also does someone need to make me a table? :P

Quote from: compdude787 on August 07, 2014, 11:00:57 AM
Quote from: vortext on August 07, 2014, 10:41:08 AM
However, I cannot see the teaser pic.  &mmm

I can't see it either. :(
Fixed -- see above reply.

Quote from: Haljackey on August 07, 2014, 05:05:43 PM
Cool stuff!

Crazy looking airport!
Thanks Hal. Crazy though?

Update 2 - Downtown Castlemaine and More!

Today we take a closer look into the middle two tiles of Castlemaine and some more detail of it!

1.1: First we have a look at Capital Hill -- The current place of Parliament for the whole Kingdom! While it may seem small on the surface, most of the interesting political stuff goes on below in the rooms underneath the hill!

1.2: Next we move to a strip mall, a bit further south of Capital Hill, situated in Kingston. While officially there is no name for them all together, most people refer to it as the Kingston Shops.

1.3: Moving further south (and a little east), we reach the terminus of the airport. Here the expressway starts and is a major route for buses going to Capital Hill. We can also see a sneak peek at the Western side of the CBD.

1.4: Going North-East now, and we arrive at the western bit of the CBD! For some unintelligent reason, I built the CBD over two tiles (mainly for a challenge) and so until I make a mosaic of both city tiles, you just have to see them separately.

1.5: Slightly North-west of the main CBD, the only interchange with the expressway is here. It is a weird hybrid interchange with access in only some directions.

1.6: At the terminus of the expressway in Allington, two major nearby intersections carry over 2000 cars a day.

1.7: North again, and we reach Allington Park (Although not actually in Allington but rather Capital Hill :P). A popular park for people to relax, it also has an observation tower for looking over the bay.

1.8: Finally for this tile, we reach the Convention Hall, Stock Exchange, City Hall, and the Bureau of Bureaucracy! The bus depot is also here.

2.1: Over to the neighbouring tile now. This little patch around the rail line is called Little Britain. A bunch of British people set up here when the city was slowly growing and have stayed ever since.

2.2: Next we move to the main attraction of this update -- The CBD and foreshore! Here is where most of the people in Castlemaine work. Built on a hill, most of the land is terraced, so some buildings look taller than others when really they aren't! At the centre of the hill is the main train station, with access to the Light Rail system, subway system and rail system! The foreshore has a nice line of seawalls with benches, so the office workers can enjoy the sea breeze overlooking the boats at lunch. Behind that is a wide boulevard, with 4 lanes of traffic and 2 lanes of trams!
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE MOSAIC

2.3: Next we move south along the coast to the southern edges of Castlemaine and of course some suburbs. Eastbank boasts a long marina for the wealthiest to park their boats and others to hire some! Another park is close by and a couple of historic lighthouses guide the boats at night.

2.4: If you take a road going to the east, you might find yourself up the Hoover Mountain range! Here a small church and one B & B sit a top a mountain, looking over the bay. A very popular tourist spot for all concerned!

2.5: At the foothills of the mountains, we find a small industrial sector, full of warehouses and small industry. Commonly referred to as the Dons, the area is one of only a few industrial parks in Castlemaine.

2.6: To finish off the update, we travel under the Hoover Mountain range and come out near the Hoover River. A small settlement of people have homes here near the bridge over the river.

Well that's it for now. I have run out of pictures and have been typing for well over 40 minutes, so time to end this update off. Next time I hope to get some night shots in among other things. See you all next time.

-Billy

Schulmanator

See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

Durfsurn

Teaser #2

The old lighthouse guides small boats into the marina every night.

Replies and full update soon.

-Billy

Sim.Rico

The title spiked my interest!  Then when I looked at the city - wow.   Nice MD. Surely one to be followed. (Where's that 1+ button   :D)

Jmouse

I'm a little behind on posting, but had some RL things to take care of. I especially like 1.1 because of the realism and grid-breaking effects. 2.2 is a nice photo, too, even though I'm not a great fan of skyscraper jungles. Still, this realistic aerial shot of the CBD dissolving into the surrounding areas is very effectively done. Of course, the lighthouse casts an artistic spell and is a welcome sight after seeing the hustle and bustle of a big city. ;)

Over all, some very nice work here... :)
-Joan

sim_link

Looking awesome, Durfsurn. Off to a nice start! 
The grid-busting is great. ;D

noahclem

Nice work  &apls

It's interesting to see how you develop this area after building on it myself a while ago for NORO. The hills are a bit...well, insane really. I built a scenic 4-lane motorway and not much else where your city is and even that was pretty hard. Are you using the whole map?

Littlegiles

Durfsurn

Replies:

Quote from: Gugu3 on August 10, 2014, 04:02:13 AM
Very nice! &apls
Thanks a lot Gugu!

Quote from: Schulmanator on August 10, 2014, 06:32:04 AM
Great new pictures!
From MD royalty - thanks :D

Quote from: Sim.Rico on August 13, 2014, 07:11:59 AM
The title spiked my interest!  Then when I looked at the city - wow.   Nice MD. Surely one to be followed. (Where's that 1+ button   :D)
Thanks. (+1's aren't given out like Rep points at ST - they are for very exceptional work ;) )

Quote from: romualdillo on August 13, 2014, 08:21:29 AM
Great pictures!!!  ;)
Thanks  :-[

Quote from: Jmouse on August 13, 2014, 12:13:37 PM
I'm a little behind on posting, but had some RL things to take care of. I especially like 1.1 because of the realism and grid-breaking effects. 2.2 is a nice photo, too, even though I'm not a great fan of skyscraper jungles. Still, this realistic aerial shot of the CBD dissolving into the surrounding areas is very effectively done. Of course, the lighthouse casts an artistic spell and is a welcome sight after seeing the hustle and bustle of a big city. ;)

Over all, some very nice work here... :)
-Joan
Thanks - concrete jungles used to be my thing too but I am slowly moving away to smaller mid-sized cities.

Quote from: sim_link on August 20, 2014, 12:38:57 PM
Looking awesome, Durfsurn. Off to a nice start! 
The grid-busting is great. ;D
Thanks sim_link  :thumbsup:

Quote from: noahclem on August 21, 2014, 07:11:22 AM
Nice work  &apls

It's interesting to see how you develop this area after building on it myself a while ago for NORO. The hills are a bit...well, insane really. I built a scenic 4-lane motorway and not much else where your city is and even that was pretty hard. Are you using the whole map?
Thanks Noah! Firstly, yes I am using the whole map - and man is it massive! On the hills, I flattened them out/terraced them heavily to get the flatter building ground you see while keeping some character to the city (or that's the theory).

Quote from: Littlegiles on August 21, 2014, 10:46:27 AM
Great looking and I'm excited to follow this.   :thumbsup:
Thanks  :-[

Update 3 - Big Box Building in Harrington [Video]

Well I just got my new headset and to celebrate I made a video - I hope you guys will enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi9asMopEKk

-Billy