• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Blackwater (with Islas Gemas)

Started by emilin, January 25, 2007, 10:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emilin

Personal replies:

patfirefghtr: Thank you! I'm really happy that you liked the cruise ship picture so much. One of the reasons I have stayed out of the picture competitions is that I currently try to stay away from photoediting them (besides of course from the occational mosaics) and mostly post only plain ingame shots. So, it's really a very very nice compliment that you think that picture is so good since it's just a snap shot. Once again: thank you!

thundercrack83: Thanks! To be perfectly honest: that transition was hell to make. It actually only look seemless from one direction, from the other sides you can see small pixels of ground everywhere. But it does look good from that particular angle.

Eddie: Thank you so much! And I'm glad that you noticed that the river "works" so to speak. I find it rather annoying when some people build canals that just go round and round and doesn't start or end anywhere.

HabLeUrG: Thank you as always! I promise to do something by the name of Enrique too if I reach 1.000 comments sometime in a distant future. There's still much left to name in Islas Gemas. ;D

kimcar: Thanks! And there is no such thing as "too much Bombero". ;D

BossOx: I already answered the question, but also, of course: thank you for commenting. Though I do think that the comparison to Yoder is a bit unfair: he is an accomplished batter and one of the best lot makers I have seen - I am just someone who enjoys playing the game.

Shadow Assassin: Thank you! And no, no, no, it's just one region. It's a 10x10 large city tile region (though most of it is actually open water). And I'll try to find my way down to the Cantina this weekend (unless my wife forces me to stay at home). ;D

bat: Thanks as always, bat!

Yoman: Thank you for that very kind comment! I am so glad you liked Puerto Jumanji. And to tell you a secret: I was actually trying to copy the island at the end of the movie "The Ring" (Ringu) when I made Ópalo.

Berethor : Thank you! How nice of you to stop by. Your BAT:s has certainly been very important in making Islas Gemas possible.

Another map

I was actually going to post the last of the honourable mentions today, but I was too tired to finish the storys. They are still coming up very soon though. For now, here's another map in the same scale as the earlier two. This time it's the city of Santiago.

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

bat

Great new map of Santiago de Zafiro, Emilin! :thumbsup:

rooker1

Wow.....super updates.  I'm not sure if I should be happy that I was turned into a scary creature or not, but very funny none the less.   :D  I do really like how this MD is turning out.  Great pics, awesome stories and very well put together.
The map does look like the city exact!  Great work, I can't wait to see what's next.

&apls &apls &apls

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

thundercrack83

I can't get enough of your maps, my friend! I can't get enough! There are so amazing--the detail and the color--absolutely amazing! Great work, as always, emilin!

nova vesfalo

yeah the map , I'm a map lover :) are stuning !! ( that's because both your graphic skills and your cities are just GREAT !) And the past update was a delight, following the river :) loving' it !

HabLeUrG

I really like that kind of topo maps, excellent work  &apls &apls

just a suggestion.. what about if you do something similar to google earth, after including that topo map, you could include a (SC4) Satelital in comparison that would be great  ;D

Pat

Emilin that is wonderful map and very detailed... that had to take you along time to do... Hey its no problem about the support on the cruise ship pic.. i think even a non altered pic has a good as a chance as any altered pic... i tend not to alter my pics in anyway or shape cept for adding text or any borders other then that its the only editting i do...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

emilin

Personal replies:

bat: Thank you so much!

rooker1: Hehe... look at it this way: you are now a myth in the minds of the people of Islas Gemas. That can't be too bad.  :D And, of course, thank you so much for those very nice words about the updates.

thundercrack83: Thanks! I will do more maps in the future. It's a really good way to work on the journal when I don't feel like building for some reason.

nova vesfalo: Thank you! You are a very accomplished mapper yourself (I really admire hoe good you are at tracing difficult coastlines) so that means a lot.

HabLeUrG: Thanks! Well, I did try to do that, but the problem is that the region is so full of mountains that you can't really use a region shot for mapping. I have been using the same method as dedgren in 3RR for these maps (compiling all of the city topos). But I do have some other things in mind for making other types of maps than just road maps, but you will have to wait untill I figure out some problems with that first. :satisfied:

patfirefghtr: Thank you, as always! It does take some time to map the cities, but when you get the hang of it, at least it goes faster with each new map. ;D

Honouring kimcar, NikNik and Heinz

The last of the honourable mentions are finally in (for this time around). This update will hounor kimcar, NikNik and Heinz (a faithful reader and commenter that I haven't seen around in the last few months, but hopefully will be back some time).

After all this mapping and updating I will now take some time to get back to actually building Islas Gemas, so don't expect any updates for the next week or so.

Autokim Parque de Atracciones

The amusement park in Playa del Paraíso is not very big, or even very well managed. The local authorities have not really cared about it for a long time. But, lately things are looking up for the Coasterfans of Islas Gemas. Canadian venture capitalist Kim Allen - also owner of the largest amusement park in the world: Funtasia - recently bought the park and has promised major investments into modernizing the park.

According to the press release "the new Autokim Parque de Atracciones will feature modern rides and better safety".

The planned expansions of the amusement park will, however, requier more land - something that isn't east to spare on these mountainous islands. This issue remains to be resolved, but the citizens and tourists of southern Zafiro eagerly awaits the promised improvements.

Club Nick Nick

Club Nick Nick market themselfs as "the hot spot of the west coast". This bar is and dance club in downtown Puerto Rico is an open-all-night hangout – mainly for tourists aging from 25-35 (the younger crowd hang out at cheaper places).

The house itself is an old office building from the 1920s. In the early days it was actually a post office, and it was abandoned for almost two decades before it was restored and turned into an upscale nightclub in 1996.

Tejada lighthouse

The Tejada lighthouse is the only older building left in Paloma. It was erected in 1883 to guide ships safely around the shallow waters on this part of the coast. It is locally known as El Philippino because of a trade ship coming from the Philippines sunk crashing into the cape in the time period when it was built, further underlining the need for it.

BlackwaterEmil's inn

rooker1

Super update, great pics and more great info. on your region.  I like this honouring of people and the stuff you come up with is very interesting.  You must have a great imagination, I could never come up with half the stuff you have.  My favourite pic has got to be the last one.  Th night pic of the light house is perfect.  I'm thinking it would be a very good entry to the SC4 Devotion Picture Competition.

&apls

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

HabLeUrG

Im really amazed the quality of your SC4 pictures especially this beach is outstanding  :o
incredible those details excellent work  :thumbsup: &apls &apls

kimcar

On the name of capitalism WE Funtasia Group  investing a blank check for the Autokim Parque de Atracciones for future devellopement .  :thumbsup: Have a great construction . Thanks for the honoring it`s appreciate.  ;)

Shadow Assassin

Very nice work, and I love the map. But some of the corners look a little funny when you draw it. :P

Try locking the path tool in certain directions (hold down Shift) and drag them to make the curves. Try to make them even.

Otherwise, it's a great colour scheme! :P

Keep up the good work, the details really do matter.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

thundercrack83

How appropriate, an amusement park dedicated to our good friend kimcar! And it looks great, too! Congratulations not only to her, but to NikNik and Heinz as well!

And by the way, that beach with the lighthouse is amazing! The last picture at night is one of the best pictures I've ever seen! Great job, emilin! I never tire of being amazed by your work!

nova vesfalo

what an update ! The mausement park is nicely place, just next to the sea. The historic background of the Club Niknik is a nice addition , give  differents layers , and the pictures are nice , maybe we will have more pictures of this area ?And what to say about the lighthouse and the suroundings beaches, they are KILLERS ! The beaches if I'm not wrong has even lost in the trees some sun -umbreala, chairs,.... it's just paradisiac ! And the trees, they are everywhere, !! Wonderful update !

bat

Congrats to kimcar, NikNik and Heinz!

That's a wonderful update again, emilin! Nice pictures of the amusement park and lighthouse! :thumbsup:

Pat

Emilin a simply well wow update... The amusment park should be really improved upon if KimCar has taken over the reigns eeeeer umm excuse me Kim Allen... fantastic update... I soo cant wait till the next one - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

emilin

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on August 08, 2007, 08:08:26 PM
Very nice work, and I love the map. But some of the corners look a little funny when you draw it. :P

Try locking the path tool in certain directions (hold down Shift) and drag them to make the curves. Try to make them even.

Otherwise, it's a great colour scheme! :P

Keep up the good work, the details really do matter.

That is some really good advice! Thank you, SA! I still have a long, long way to go before reaching your level of map making, so it is very much appriciated with such input as this.

And about the colour scheme: I'm trying to move away from your scheme (but I'm having a hard time letting go of those beautiful colours ;D). With these maps I am actually lookng for a "cheaper" look. Most tourist maps from these kinds of resort locations look kind of "crappy" with overuse of bright colours... I'm not saying that's exactly what I'm aiming for, but the bright orange roads in Santiago were on purpose. :satisfied:

BlackwaterEmil's inn

Yoman

I couldn't agree more with what HabLeUrG said about those beach details, I envy you, now where are my passes to get into Club Nik Nik ahead of everyone else :P

Shadow Assassin

Quote from: emilin on August 09, 2007, 02:48:29 PM
That is some really good advice! Thank you, SA! I still have a long, long way to go before reaching your level of map making, so it is very much appriciated with such input as this.

And about the colour scheme: I'm trying to move away from your scheme (but I'm having a hard time letting go of those beautiful colours ;D). With these maps I am actually lookng for a "cheaper" look. Most tourist maps from these kinds of resort locations look kind of "crappy" with overuse of bright colours... I'm not saying that's exactly what I'm aiming for, but the bright orange roads in Santiago were on purpose. :satisfied:

I thought tourist maps were usually mud-maps - you know where an approximation of the streets are drawn in and generally show the approximate location of major landmarks?

It still looks good. :P In all seriousness, I really don't mind if you use the same colour scheme -- I pinched it from the Sydway anyway :P. In any case, I'll probably end up redoing the map of Brackenfell so it fits Sydway standard.

And the legend:

--SA
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Schulmanator

The map is great and only exceeded by the beautiful town and beach!
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0