• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ferries not crossing ocean only citied

Started by dnc77, September 29, 2017, 02:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnc77

Hi there!

I'm having a ball with a region I started in Simcity 4.

I have ferries working between different cities fine.
As my region's growing, I'm taking it to the next step.

Terraforming is part of the game and I have a couple ocean only cities. I have a city on one end that has ferries to get R to work in an other city but to do so they need to cross the ocean only cities.

My sims don't seem to get that they can get a ferry to go to work.

My question seems to revolve around the ocean only cities as in other cases, sims use ferries extensively.

Does the ocean only city need to be started in Mayor mode for ferries to cross it? If so, do I have to constantly go in the ocean only cities to update border information or is everything propagated throughout all cities pls?

I just can't seem to make the ferry connection and I really would like to make use of ocean only cities like this, preferably without starting the city in mayor mode. Is this possible at all pls!?

Thanks!!

Duncan

Andreas

City tiles where you didn't start a city are most likely "invisible" to the game (or in particular, the traffic simulator), so go ahead and start a city there (no need to build something). Let the game run for a while and check if ferries are using the ocean as a travel route in such cities. If not, it might be necessary to have at least one ferry terminal in every adjacent city, so you might have to create a little island or something. SimCity 4's traffic simulator is fine with border traffic, but it can't calculate travel paths through the entire region, which means you might have to open the "ocean" cities now and then, and run them for a few in-game months, once the paths have been updated.
Andreas

dnc77

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your help.
You are right. Each adjacent city needs a ferry - bummer to have each ocean city with a small island in the middle.
One would also need to enter each city one by one to ensure the border parameters are updated in accordance to changes...

hmmmm....
If only there is a ploppable ferry connection route which works in the ocean... hmmmm

Thanks for your assistance....

DUncan

Andreas

In theory, one could create an "invisible" ferry terminal lot that even plops underwater. Might look a little funny to see the ferry automata "docking" there, but it might do the trick...
Andreas

mrbisonm

Quote from: Andreas on September 29, 2017, 05:05:17 AM
In theory, one could create an "invisible" ferry terminal lot that even plops underwater. Might look a little funny to see the ferry automata "docking" there, but it might do the trick...

...that gives me an idea, a 1x1 rocklot to plop on the shore......hm?

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Andreas

... or maybe a lighthouse to plop on a reef? ;)
Andreas

mak

Quote from: Andreas on September 29, 2017, 05:05:17 AM

This issue has been bugging me for a while as well, so when I saw this idea I decided to whip up some invisible ferry terminals. It was quite difficult (for some reason ferry terminals are transit-enabled through gnome props, not the actual building) but I finally got something that works pretty well:

I've submitted it to the LEX if that's okay. I included attribution to you all for the idea, of course. :)

Wiimeiser

So, wait, each ferry terminal has a garden gnome inside the building itself that... Marks the docking point or something?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

mak

Quote from: Wiimeiser on November 10, 2017, 06:50:54 PM
So, wait, each ferry terminal has a garden gnome inside the building itself that... Marks the docking point or something?

You are correct that the gnome props are responsible for marking ferry spawn points.

I don't think they're actual garden gnomes like the ones in monuments, though. For some reason many of the air/water automata markers have the "- Gnome" suffix in the lot editor. Maybe it indicates that they all have some actual function? Although they could also just be the little gnome Easter eggs as well, I just haven't ever seen them in the vanilla ferry terminals.