• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

re: new things like drawing new buildings, doing mod's and so on

Started by reble, June 24, 2017, 07:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reble

I am pretty good at manipulating pixels on a digital picture at the single pixel level in windows paint and paint.net. I have seen chat about drawing programs to mod SimCity 4 buildings, empty lots and so on. Can someone please tell me were I can find that program.  I have some ideas for a few new things.

Steve
Steve
From the desk at the Amateur Radio Station of KC7BYP

mgb204

If you want to adjust the lots or make new lots featuring existing buildings, then the Maxis Lot Editor (usually installed with the game) should be sufficient. A tutorial on how to use this and PIM (Plug-in Manager) exists here.

If you want to make new buildings, it's a lot more complex than simply editing pixels. Because SC4 models are made using a 3D Modelling application and the textures that you see need to be applied to a 3D model to be exported for use in-game. The tool for that is SC4 BAT or Building Architect Tool. But I forewarn you that learning how to use such an application is not an easy thing.

Whilst you can manipulate the textures of existing models, that's not a casual endeavour. Even with expert texturing skills, you may find it very difficult to adjust SC4 model textures and get good results. That's again down to how the game works, each model actually needs 20 textures. One for each rotation and zoom used by the game. So to change one model, you'll need to alter 20 textures. Not to mention the zoom 1 textures are tiny, 8x8 pixels in size. Even zooms 2 and 3 at 16x16px and 32x32px, making them very difficult to alter without messing them up. Frankly it's a thankless task and whilst I've done it, it's not a sensible method to changing things on a large scale. It's quicker to simply make a new model in most cases, than to edit an existing one.

What you can do though is find the correct model files for use with SC4 BAT, some exist on the LEX and STEX. These are the source files for use in SC4BAT, you can not open exported/finalised model files using SC4BAT or another application. If you have access though to the original modelling files, you can simply edit those things you want and export a new model ready to go. But it will require learning at least the basics of SC4 BAT to achieve.

reble

Thanks for the info MGB That you made very clear. And I am not going to mess with it. There are somethings that just not worth doing just for playing a game. Now if I were to make me some money off it. Then it would be worth my time and energy to dive into it.
By the way I am making progress with the DBE project. My only hang up is making both sides of the canyon or hole level and the same height. I have the hang of DBE otherwise.

Steve

Quote from: mgb204 on June 25, 2017, 02:29:26 AM
If you want to adjust the lots or make new lots featuring existing buildings, then the Maxis Lot Editor (usually installed with the game) should be sufficient. A tutorial on how to use this and PIM (Plug-in Manager) exists here.

If you want to make new buildings, it's a lot more complex than simply editing pixels. Because SC4 models are made using a 3D Modelling application and the textures that you see need to be applied to a 3D model to be exported for use in-game. The tool for that is SC4 BAT or Building Architect Tool. But I forewarn you that learning how to use such an application is not an easy thing.

Whilst you can manipulate the textures of existing models, that's not a casual endeavour. Even with expert texturing skills, you may find it very difficult to adjust SC4 model textures and get good results. That's again down to how the game works, each model actually needs 20 textures. One for each rotation and zoom used by the game. So to change one model, you'll need to alter 20 textures. Not to mention the zoom 1 textures are tiny, 8x8 pixels in size. Even zooms 2 and 3 at 16x16px and 32x32px, making them very difficult to alter without messing them up. Frankly it's a thankless task and whilst I've done it, it's not a sensible method to changing things on a large scale. It's quicker to simply make a new model in most cases, than to edit an existing one.

What you can do though is find the correct model files for use with SC4 BAT, some exist on the LEX and STEX. These are the source files for use in SC4BAT, you can not open exported/finalised model files using SC4BAT or another application. If you have access though to the original modelling files, you can simply edit those things you want and export a new model ready to go. But it will require learning at least the basics of SC4 BAT to achieve.
Steve

reble

By the way MBG what are the following image files for that came with DBE? See the picture bellow.
Steve