• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FrankU's Lottery - Space Center update

Started by FrankU, October 19, 2009, 02:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

art128

I was thinking. But maybe the question was already answered earlier. Why not switch the models of some rewards by an actual better looking building?
For example the minor league stadium from Maxis is actually quite ugly (in my opinion) so replacing it with a small stadium from the community could be a good idea.

Sorry if it was already asked.
Btw, those lots are looking excellent. I'm talking about the stadiums, university, cinema and of course the farms. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

FrankU

Thanks for all the replies!

@ Catalyst
Yes, it looks nice, doesn't it?
Although I quite agree with the people who say that the red is a bit too shiny and saturated. I like it because it reminds me of the brick streets I walk on every day. It's the most appropriate brick texture that I found when I started the set.

@ gn_leugim
The red floor is more or less the purpose of my set!  ;D

@ noahclem
Thank you.

@ art128
In many reward replacement lots I did indeed exchange the model by another.
In the case of this stadium I had planned that also, but somehow I started to like the looks of the a bit amateuristic style of the stadium. It reminds me of the stadium that is standing in my hometown about 500 meters from my front door. So I decided to improve the lot around it and keep the model itself. Thus giving you all the opportunity to plop the existing other models and lots as often as you like. Even if that means that you have to renounce my lotting skills on these lots....  ;D

No need to say sorry in any case!

FrankU

*** BUMP ***

Leribel asked for a Major League Stadium for soccer instead of baseball. That made me think. Maybe there are people who would prefer a Minor League Stadium for baseball?

I made one.
But as I know hardly anything about baseball and how its stadiums look I made a variation on my soccer/football stadium.

Please, will baseball addicts tell me if this setup is more or less acceptable?
Of course I could search for a baseball stadium model and use that.... But I'd like to try it this way first.

Have a look
It's not finished yet, but the main setup should be something like this...

romualdillo

Looks good!!! Perhaps too much paved surfaces, I think...  (I'm sorry I can't say anything about baseball)

art128

This is looking great, but I don't think these kind of stands fits with a baseball stadium. Would have been awesome to have an angled stand around the batter area. I don't know if there's any props like that out there though.

Props & Texture Catalog

gn_leugim

I know the are, and they look great on the other lots, but in these sport lots, mehh  &mmm I would expect more concrete or dirt and not a nicely paved area, if you know what I mean. other than that looks great.  ;)

FrankU

Thanks all!

I had a reply by Simcoug on Simpeg.

He showed me this image:

So I did some changes.

Some of you remarked that I should do less paving. Well, that is a discussion worth giving some more attention.

In the Netherlands we are used to pave a lot. In other countries you often see concrete, tarmac or asphalt, or just simply mud, but we are not like that in this tiny country. We want to keep it clean and we have the money for it. So we pave. And we pave some more. And if it does not look so good anymore after a couple of years we pave it all over, instead of repairing spots and marks. We pave everything completely anew in order to have it looking clean.
So on Dutch lots you should see remarkably more surface being paved than on other lots.
But if  i should be exaggerating... please tell me.

Oh, yeah.. the green square in the image above is meant to locate an entrance building. But there is already one, just a bit more in the corner of the lot. There you buy a ticket and enter the stadium grounds. Behind that you can walk freely around and have some refreshments at the snack bar, so I don't think there is an entrance building neccessary. Am I wrong?

Anyway,
I changed the lot, although while writing this post I see that I forgot some details.
The brick walls end on strange locations. I forgot the dug out, although it is not there on the original Major League Stadium Reward, or is it neccessary? And I left out the fence around the green on purpose, because I have no nice see through fence and the solar plant fence starts looking like a prison fence, and that is not the atmosphere I would like to have in my stadium. So I left it out.

I added a bit of parking, because I could not think of any other plausible function on that location. The concrete corner is for the deliveries and maintenace stuff.

And although there is some criticism about me using the Maxis stadium props I am still trying to make a nice lot with them.
Of course I could find some beautifully BATted stadium. There are lots of them on STEX and LEX and PLEX and whereever, but that is easy! Mainly a matter of exchanging building models.... No challenge for me.

So thank you all for your input. And this is what I have done with it up to now.

Images....

romualdillo

I think it looks much better now!!!  &apls

About the paved surfaces, it was strange for me to see so much paved surfaces without any specific use. Here, when you have such an extense paved area, you use different types of paving and green elements to differentiate zones and make the whole thing look softer. I have to learn to express myself better, I think. But this is about Dutch lots, so let there be Dutch!!!  :D

FrankU

Thank you, romualdillo,

Anyway,

I finished the lotting and modding of the Minor League Stadiums.

There are two versions now: one Football and one Baseball.
Both are also available as Landmarks.

LEX
and
STEX

Jack_wilds

THX Frank...

its time to "play ball!"  :bnn:  for my sims...    :popcorn:

leribel

FrankU

Thanks Jack, for your continuing support.

And leribel, thank you too. You like them? The major league stadium is coming soon!

leribel

Sure the last version is a big improvement. Actually I've been a couple of times to a baseball game, that same field turns into a music stage at some festivals.

FrankU

Thank you leribel.

And.... here they are already!

The baseball stadium first. I actually liked the Maxis model. And because it is also made of brick it fits the Dutch atmosphere enough. I won't be picky about the copper roof: that would be too expensive around here, I think.

So, I fiddled around with the textures and the plaza around it. And here we are.
Oh, by the way: the baseball players are there on the lot, I just could not find the right moment to make the pictures, but they will appear like they do on the original reward lot.

For the football stadium I had a large amount of stadium models from all around the world. I decided to take one of the Dutch ones: the Parkstad Stadium by Oppie.
As there is not much space on the lot I just added some trees, a bit of rubbish in one of the corners and a lot of supporters waiting to get in. Maybe I should add some more crowds?
Pityfully there are no night lights on this model...

You like? Comments are welcome.

Frank

art128

I like what you did with the baseball stadium, even though the maxis model is too small to be realistic. But there isn't any large sized baseball stadiums apart from the Safeco field and Minute Maid Park which are quite big for the project I think.

I like the lot a lot. But I would move the fountain to be on front of the main entrance, it seems more logical to me. Here's how I would do it: (reference from the first pic)
Make the lot shorter by one tile on the right and make it wider by one tile on the bottom. Put the fountain in front of the diagonal entrance of the main stand. On the bottom, add a line of trees just like the football stadium with street lights and benches along it.

Nice work with the football stadium too!

Props & Texture Catalog

leribel

I agree with art1238 regarding the fountain.

An the football stadium is everything I wished for!

gn_leugim

Weonderfull I like the foot stadium a lot. the only change I would (will) do is change the bricks by concrete :P

noahclem

Great looking work with the stadium lotting, Frank  &apls  Love the model chosen for the football stadium, especially since I hadn't previously been aware of it. I agree that the Maxis major league baseball stadium is quite a nice model too.

FrankU

Thank you art128, leribel, gn_leugim$%Grinno$% ) and noahclem.

Due to your comment I reshuffled the court of the Baseball stadium, which eventuated into removement of the fountain and addition of a parking lot.
Now that I am uploading and watching the lot again I start to doubt. Perhaps a parking lot is not that good. Maybe I should put the foutain back?
My initial goal was to refrain from using parking lots, so that everyone of you can use their own favourite parking lots set, but as I could not think of another use of the place I did this...

What do you think?

A snack bar for fish and chips (patat met). I could actually use a Dutch or Belgian friettent/frietkot/frietkar. Someone from the BNL team?

Some garbage in the back corner. Pity there is no door in the wall here....

And a small change to the football stadium too, so that the lot has the same size: 12x10.
Giving more room at the front.

Some utility stuff at the back.

leribel

I agree that the parking lot, maybe better hint to some underground parking lot.
I like the way you changed the lamppost at the entrance.