• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

god mode "tree controllers"

Started by stocktons_pimp, July 20, 2008, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stocktons_pimp

anyone on here know how to make one of these? i want to put together a mod that plops forests with tropical style trees in god mode (using already existing tree props)... let me know

::

Chrisadams3997

Well, first you've got to know how to make multi-modeled (clustering) tree exemplars.  If you've never done this before, I'd start out looking at some existing ones, such as mine or jeroni's, as well as c.p.'s.  If you're familiar with that already, I've discussed the 'florapreferences' property(which establishes what brushes appear where in god mode) in a couple of posts:

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4934.msg156099#msg156099
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=185.msg72998#msg72998

That will get you started.  The easiest thing(once you've built the initial exemplar of course ::)) is to set the whole 256 rep range of the 'preferences' property to 1 for you're new exemplar, and it will appear at all elevations and slopes.  If you just want it in certain areas, well, you'll have to figure out which rep's correspond to that elevation and slope(e.i. moisture level.)

I might be able to answer some simple questions, particularly on setting up the 'FloraParameters' and cluster properties, but I don't know how much time I'll have for a bit.  For the most part you'll have to pick apart how others have set up these before ;).

stocktons_pimp

would it be easy to modify an existing file by changing what trees it plops in god mode?

it will be the same trees for all elevations

Chrisadams3997

Yea, that's possible.  Essentially you'll find the TGI's for tree models you'd like to see and write them down, preferably five different ones, as I'm going to basically walk you through modifying a c.p. cluster, which usually uses 5 different models.  You'll want to place them in order of size, from smallest to largest.

Now, you'll want to pick a tree cluster that places similarly to what you'd like you're trees to place in game so we don't have to change any parameters, just the models and preferences.  Also pick one that you don't mind not being able to place, as this will replace them in mayor mode as well.  Aspens and lodgepole pines are a good example of trees that place close together, cottonwoods leave a lot of space in between.  Most others fall somewhere in between.

Now, you'll open whatever no.7a tree controller file you're working out of, and find the exemplars for the tree brush you want to replace.  You can either look at the 'exemplar name' property or use the exemplar analyzer to find them.  As I said before, most use 5 exemplars per tree type(brush), although a few use 6 exemplars.  Each one is one model in the cluster, labeled from 1 to 5(or 6).  Find number 1 in the cluster, and change the reskey1 property to the TGI of the tree model you want to replace it, repeating for all 5(or 6).

Now, open notepad.  You'll have to have 256 1's, separated by commas.  The easiest way to do that is type the first sixteen, copy it, then paste it in 15 times more.  Make sure there are no spaces, and get rid of the comma at the end of it.  Copy that and paste it into the 'FloraPreferences' property for all 5(or 6) of your modified exemplars.

That should cause it to place in all elevations and moisture levels, but since we didn't zero it out for all other types(which would be a lot more work), I can't guarantee that there won't be a few hold overs.

Hope that helps, if I can clarify any parts, let me know.

Chris

stocktons_pimp

looks like it's trial and error time.

i'll get back to you

MutantPlatypus

This is the most relevant thread I could find.  Hopefully its the right one :)

So I'd like to ADD trees to a tree controller.  Specifically, I want to add Girafe's beautiful winter trees to the C.P.'s Missouri Breaks tree controller at the higher elevations so my mountains don't look so bare.  I've read the tutorials on replacing trees, and I'm going to try to figure it how to add them instead.  If anybody has some quick-and-dirty instructions, I'd love to have 'em.  Otherwise, I'll post here once I figure out how to do it.

NOTE:  If the above post is just one sentence about some inconsistency, bug, or broken link, don't be offended.  I'm posting the info because I assumed it was some minor oversight and want to help you fix it, or I want the information to be available to others who are doing a search for the same problem.  Once the issue is resolved, moderators are encouraged to delete my post.

Venom+Eggs+Lactation=Platypus

Girafe

Sorry I can't help you for this remplacement however thank you for my pines. If I can give you a piece of advice I have upgrate my pines and they will be ready soon    ;)
you can check there and you will add these pines with the old  :thumbsup:

Someone will answer to you for this special modding

there
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

MutantPlatypus

Girafe:  How soon is "soon?"  :thumbsup: I'd be amazed if you could make your trees look even better.  It would be great, too, if you could get your trees to plop in clumps.

OK, so this is turning out to be way more difficult and tedious than I thought it would.  I need help figuring out which sections of terrain in the Missouri Breaks Terrain Mod are the rocky parts, which are the snowy parts, what elevation the snow starts to appear at, and what elevation the green refuses to appear at.  Basically, where to plant snowy trees :P.  In the future, I'd like to mod the terrain mod itself (???) so there's more snow (but not a perfectly smooth blanket of snow like in snow mods) and less rock at the super high elevations.  But that's for another thread.

NOTE:  If the above post is just one sentence about some inconsistency, bug, or broken link, don't be offended.  I'm posting the info because I assumed it was some minor oversight and want to help you fix it, or I want the information to be available to others who are doing a search for the same problem.  Once the issue is resolved, moderators are encouraged to delete my post.

Venom+Eggs+Lactation=Platypus