• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinlabsc3k

Hello Zach and welcome to the NAM aficionados*!!

The policy of NAM members is to discontinue the puzzle pieces (PP),
so the PP Height Transitions were abolished in favor of the Flex ones.
The Flex pieces are more convenient because they support various RHW width (both ground and elevated).
The length of the pieces are the same: 3 tiles, only in the preview it's longer.
If you want to demolish one of the stacks in a Flex you can use the Demolisher in the Highway Menu.

*=enthusiasts
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Zach Glover

Thanks, I've seen plenty posts on here, but never posted myself. I'm disappointed the puzzle pieces are gone. I think they were much easier to use

fefenc

Quote from: Zach Glover on November 29, 2015, 11:49:33 AM
Thanks, I've seen plenty posts on here, but never posted myself. I'm disappointed the puzzle pieces are gone. I think they were much easier to use
Don't worry about this, I once thought the same, but the draggable/flexible stuff is even easier to use. Nonetheless I won't deny they look scary in the showcase :\

Tarkus

The other thing to consider is the fact that all the RHW networks have height transitions now, and had we stayed with puzzle pieces, including the OnSlopes, you'd have about 90 puzzle pieces to sort through.  Instead, the FLEX system requires just 4.  They are longer, but that's in part because we've shifted toward L1 as the standard elevated height (the transition is the same length as when L2 was the standard), and we were also looking to give the transitions a more realistic grade.

-Alex

APSMS

If you are feeling serious withdrawal symptoms, I recall seeing an option in the custom installation that retained RHW PP height transitions (deprecated). &idea

Given the immense versatility of the Flex pieces, as well as much improved stability over the last 3 versions, I'd say it's much better to get used to the new standard rather than pine for the old. But that option is there if you really feel you need it. It won't be there next version (most likely), and the absence of the menu option won't make old pieces non-functional, but given that realism is the main goal of the RHW, Flex-based options provide the easiest upgradability and backwards-compatibility, and are significantly easier for the NAM Team to maintain.

I feel your pain (a little), but the new standard is so much better it's not even funny. The disconnector is also a boon in dismantling Flex-constructed interchanges, as it's use won't break overrides and cause everything to delete or revert to RHW-2 (unlike trying to use the bulldoze tool on said interchanges, which is generally a time consuming mess all the way around).
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Zach Glover

To those of you trying to console me: I don't deal with change very well lol. You should've seen me when I first started using RHW, I was completely lost, just as I am with this new FLEX height  :'(
@APSMS Thanks for the tip, I've just reinstalled with the depreciated height transitions. That doesn't mean I won't try to work with the new FLEX height pieces though.

dyoungyn

Quote from: APSMS on November 29, 2015, 01:29:36 PM
If you are feeling serious withdrawal symptoms, I recall seeing an option in the custom installation that retained RHW PP height transitions (deprecated). &idea

Given the immense versatility of the Flex pieces, as well as much improved stability over the last 3 versions, I'd say it's much better to get used to the new standard rather than pine for the old. But that option is there if you really feel you need it. It won't be there next version (most likely), and the absence of the menu option won't make old pieces non-functional, but given that realism is the main goal of the RHW, Flex-based options provide the easiest upgradability and backwards-compatibility, and are significantly easier for the NAM Team to maintain.

I feel your pain (a little), but the new standard is so much better it's not even funny. The disconnector is also a boon in dismantling Flex-constructed interchanges, as it's use won't break overrides and cause everything to delete or revert to RHW-2 (unlike trying to use the bulldoze tool on said interchanges, which is generally a time consuming mess all the way around).

On this, I still use the depreciated ramps as they are MUCH EASIER for me to see the finished product.  I only HOPE and PRAY they DO NOT go away.  The Flex option is great under certain circumstances, not all.  Yes, FLEX are more slope tolerant, but the depreciated are also VERY slope tolerant.  Yes, the disconnector up front in NAM 33 is GREAT especially for deleting diagonal pieces that take FOREVER to delete or un-zone; THANK YOU for this "Disconnector". 

In conclusion, PLEASE don't do away with the depreciated ramps and curves as I LOVE them and tabbing through the list is what I am use to and I have memorized the order.  For FLEX ramps, I have the guide and I just cannot grasp the ramp I am looking for.

dyoungyn

dyoungyn 

compdude787

I personally don't mind seeing the puzzle piece height transitions go bye-bye. There is nothing wrong with the FlexHeight transitions; I only use those.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

vinlabsc3k

I found a texture bug &mmm

Bipin

Wonderful work yet again, NAM team!  &apls I've got one question though: I'd like to get rid of those wealth textures/ground textures beneath the RHW.  I did not see an option for this in the installer, might I of missed something, or is this even possible?

mgb204

Right now there is no option to remove the wealthing from the RHW, sorry. The problem is that such networks can't show transparency as this part is used by SC4 to determine where sidewalks must go. Thus if you had only transparent textures, everything that touched a lot or was zoned would have sidewalks :(.

APSMS

Bipin, this is only possible with a model-based RHW which I think NORO used for a little whole, but unfortunately is not ideal for a general release (and I think the custom version is since outdated).

So unfortunately we are stuck with wealth textures or choosing to zone at least 1 tile away from your freeways.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

dyoungyn

All I do is lay down the RHW, then zone freely say for example agriculture.  Then I delete the RHW, let the agriculture develop, then re-build the RHW.  This way, the zones will not be tempted to build along my free ways.  I know it sounds ludicrous, but it works for me when it comes to zoning along L0 RHW.  As far as urban areas, not a problem as I use the "Alt" key to lay out the zone along a city road.

So, RHW wealthing  is not an issue for me, neither is the flex slope, it is the flex ramps and curves.

dyoungyn

eek

I think I found a bug, or maybe you guys know about it already. I did a brief search for old posts and only found one mention of something from several years ago, but there wasn't a pic of it.

I laid down a OWR 2 to OWR 3 transition piece and got this giant octagonal hole to hell. Any idea?

Tarkus

I'd actually advise using the draggable transition there instead of the puzzle piece--far easier to use, too.  Just drag the OWR-2 to an end stub, and then drag the OWR-3 to form an end stub one tile away from it, such that the stubs are back to back.  They'll turn into a transition.

-Alex

eek

frhtf

Nothing happened except I get a car icon meaning that I'm not connected to a road for my zoning.

Please do not edit in spam afterwards. Removed links. - vortext GM

Mikey Knox

I cant get the FLEXSpui Avenue to work anymore, with the old System i only had to place a RHW4 height Puzzlepiece at the End and it elevated, now with the FlexHeight it doesnt. How can i get it to work again?  ;D

http://i.imgur.com/my5t4zE.jpg

vinlabsc3k

mgb204

Quote from: frhtf on November 30, 2015, 10:21:39 PM
Nothing happened except I get a car icon meaning that I'm not connected to a road for my zoning.

That doesn't really help me see what the problem is, what were you doing that caused this?

@ Imiona:

The FLEX SPUI has a number of issues due to changes with other RHW components. It's awaiting a refresh as a result, you can use the depreciated height transitions as before (you need to manually select to install them), but even then you might find they don't work properly.