• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

Hey Alex,

Where to start... the first thing to mention is that your MD is in the hall of fame, which means you can post updates to it whenever you want. Large multi-month long gaps are possible due to the prestige this MD has attained, so there is absolutely no problem with taking a long break between updates. You could say you earned it!  :)

I, like yourself, have wondered where my journal fit in the grand scheme of things, as if you recall, my journal just didn't fit well with the others. It was no 3RR, just like yours is not, but TC does have a certain affinity associated with it that puts it outside of the traditional MD framework.

In the end, I decided to end my MD career to focus on other things. Being retired means I could focus on showcasing my work in Simcity to specific areas of the community. (In my case Show Us Your Intersections, my archives thread, the RHW Interchange Guide and Youtube videos.)

While I am not saying you should retire from your MD career, perhaps you may be more comfortable showing your work elsewhere. That way you don't need to wait until you have enough content to make a update, you can show whatever you've got whenever you want. For example, I'm sure many of us would be eager to see some more of your work on interchanges and from this MD in the Show Us Your Intersections thread or possibly start a think-tank thread about something related to your playing style.

Just suggestions here. TC is a respected MD not only because it's in the hall of fame, but because there's just something about it that keeps people coming back for more, regardless how long it's been between updates.

Don't sweat it. ;)

-Ryan (Haljackey)

Ramona Brie

Tarkus,

No matter what, your design of cities has influenced mine. I now am much more realistic with regards to scale and appearance of suburbs. Grid format cities with 6x6 blocks separated by Avenues are a thing of the past for me. I'm actually going as far as blowing up some of my oldest cities to build new ones on the same footprint that are far more realistic. You'd be proud of some of my more recent cities, particularly Jarsson, my first large-format city that moves from a grid in the older districts to more suburban-style development. It's pretty much par for the course when it comes to how I build towns now.

I'd love to see more of your awesome work, but I understand that the NAM is your priority and that it's time to update the way it is approached at a developmental level.

Swordmaster

Heh, I guess this is my first reply here.  I just haven't had the time to read beyond the first dozen pages or so!

Anyway, I recall David saying that the foremost thing about MDing is for the author to have fun. You should do whatever works best for you, even if that means moving to different and unusual patterns of showcasing and interaction.

noahclem

I say go with the grain!  ;D

I think a pretty safe majority of SC4D'ers understand RL obligations and cycles, as well as other SC4-related priorities. This is referring to MDs in general, but at least for me, I would prefer 1-3 updates per month over multiple updates weekly or else it is very hard for me to keep up with the authors I would like to follow.

In any case I don't see any reason not to continue moving forward with your great MD. And I guess it speaks to your evaluation that TC is something more than a regular MD that I would take the time to get through your "wall of words"  :D

Will12

Great MD Tarkus and this along with Haljackeys GTR (BTW freak md hal!) is the only MD's I come home from school to enjoy and look back at the good old times of RHW 1.3 and NAM 20. Just because I havent been active on Simtropolis or here before June this year doesnt mean I didn't read your great MD's.

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Well, after a long hiatus, Tarkusian Cities is back.  I want to thank all of my readers for their patience and support, and the thoughtful comments and encouragement several of you left in response to my last "wall of text" about the future of TC.  I have decided to "go with the grain" and basically take advantage of the natural "spurt-and-hiatus" flow of things here. 

While RL is a little less hectic, as is the case right now, I'm going to try to squeeze in a rapid-fire "spurt" of updates before things flare up again.  What this means is that I'll be updating things here somewhat regularly during the holidays, until early January, mostly focusing on construction projects in North Chemeketa.  Then Tarkusian Cities will be on a planned hiatus, probably until April, though you might see bits of new stuff in "Show Us Your Interchanges" and the like as time permits in between then.

The first of these "rapid-fire" updates will, at long last, resume the 52nd Avenue NE widening project.

52nd Avenue NE Corridor Widening Project: Phase 2 Continued (Mosby to Scarlet)

In case anyone needs to refresh themselves with the lay of the land, here's the most recent full region transport map of Chemeketa.  There's one item you won't yet see on here . . . the Scarlet Street NE extension south of 52nd Avenue.

As we left off last time, 52nd Avenue NE had been closed off just west of the Rankine Lane NE intersection, at Sorenson Creek, for bridge work seen underway here (facing east).

While the city has encouraged motorists to use 39th Ave NE or 71st Ave NE as detours, quite a few folks have instead opted for Eriksen Way NE, an east-west collector route just north of 52nd, and have successfully clogged it up--here's looking at the intersection of Eriksen and Rankine (facing east).

This is at Eriksen Way NE and Scarlet Street NE (facing east).  As you can see, it's fairly clogged up as well . . . and because of the Scarlet Street extension south of 52nd, the city's already started making some preparations for a right-turn lane from Eriksen EB onto Scarlet SB.  More improvements for Eriksen are planned, though the city has not yet identified funding for the project.

Bridge work continues (facing east).  Sorenson Creek actually had to be re-routed slightly in order to accommodate the wider bridge.  (Before anyone asks, those T21 trees are a personal "tweak" of jackxu's AVE-2 mod.)

Here's the "choke point" where the already widened section of 52nd narrows down, just west of Mosby Road NE (facing east).

Work on connecting the new bridge up to the eastern segment of 52nd (facing east).  That intersection there is 52nd and Rankine.  In order to minimize the environmental impact of having to slightly divert Sorenson Creek, a wetlands mitigation pond has been constructed at the southwest corner of the intersection.

And now the bridge is open (facing east).

The improved intersection at 52nd and Aldrin Way NE (facing east).  The turn lanes are so new the city crews haven't even painted the arrows.

52nd and Scarlet post-construction (facing east).

52nd and Rankine post-construction (facing east).  You might recognize this image--it's actually the NWM download promo shot.

And a related project--here's where the Scarlet Street extension currently ends, at Sorenson Creek (facing east).  As you can see, however, some advanced planning when the subdivision south of the creek (accessed via 39th Ave NE) means there's already a road stub in place for the southern segment.  We'll be looking at that soon, along with Phase 3 (of 3) of the 52nd Avenue NE Project (from Scarlet to Ashcroft), the Highway 15/39th Avenue interchange, and the extension of the Chemeketa Parkway.

Hope the new update was an enjoyable read for you--there will be more to come quite soon!

-Alex (Tarkus)

City Builder

A great update and just wanted to say that if I could build my cities to look like what you build, I think that SC4 would be the only game that I'd play.  Very beautiful.
When your tired of games of destruction, come to CityBuilderGames.com to discuss games of Construction!
Oh!  Thanks for the negative rep, I love you too!

apeguy

Great update, it's nice to see Tarkusian Cities back in action. I look forward to seeing more updates over Christmas. ;D ;D

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Ramona Brie

Awesome! I really do like this and look forward to more in the spurt!

vinlabsc3k

Good job, Alex!! :thumbsup: I'm happy that you accept our suggestion. &hlp We don't care when you publish your creation, but that you publish them! ;)
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

EDGE4194

Nice to see some new updates. I don't know how you even find the time to do everything you are involved with on this site let alone RL! I can't find the time to even keep up with the forums anymore. Will be looking forward to these "treats" during the next few weeks.  -----Eric

RickD

Eriksen Way, Mosby Road ... what's next? Stinson Drive?  :D

BTW, the link to the street map is broken.  ;)

Thanks for catching that, Raphael--it's fixed now.  -Alex
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

JoeST

Hey there Alex, I'm really glad you're continuing with this, it's an amazing showcase of just how much you (and the rest of the NaMites) have contributed to the game, just fantastic :)

Thanks for continuing.
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

It's time to continue the holiday construction blitz!  This update we'll be looking at the conclusion of the 52nd Avenue widening project in Chemeketa.

But first off, replies:

City Builder: Thank you for the very kind words--I take that as a great compliment. :)  The trick, I've found, is to get just the right set of plugins to fit your aesthetic.  The big find I had before starting the Chemeketa region was mattb325's houses off the LEX, which have really helped shape my suburban residential areas.  One of these days, I'll have to compile a more complete list of just what all I have in there.

apeguy: Thanks!  I'm really glad you enjoyed the return of TC--it's good to be back with it, and I'll definitely have a lot more construction to show here, including this update.

Arthur (art128): Thanks, my friend--I'm happy to hear it was to your liking!

Raymie (Tracker): Thanks--I'm glad you liked the "opening salvo" of the spurt, and I hope the rest of it satisfies your appetite for construction/planning geekery. :thumbsup:

Vincenzo (vinlabsc3k): It's good to be back--thanks for the encouragement, and for your understanding of the whole spurt-lull cycle.  Hopefully, it'll make things a little bit more stable here in Tarkusian Cities for both me and all of the regular TC readers.

Eric (EDGE4194): Thanks for the warm welcome back--it really can be quite the balancing act.  I'm not really sure how I manage either. :D  Hope the rest of the "spurt" proves an interesting read!

Raphael (RickD):  Most likely. :D  There's tons of hidden references like that all over many of my regions . . . there's another TV series besides HIMYM that is heavily referenced in there, along with three bands.  I always enjoy sticking that sort of stuff in there, and am always excited when others pick up on it.  Thanks for catching the broken link, and for all your support of TC!

Joe (JoeST): Thanks, Joe--it's good to see you around these parts, and you're most welcome. :)  I'm glad to be continuing TC, and thanks for all the kind words and support!

52nd Avenue NE Corridor Widening Project: Phase 3 (Scarlet to Ashcroft)

Phase 3 of the 52nd Avenue NE Widening Project will widen the section of 52nd from Scarlet Street NE (the west end point of Phase 2), west to Ashcroft Street NE, from 4 to 6 travel lanes, with a center left-turn lane along some stretches.

Here's a map overviewing the three phases of the project (click to see up-close):

There's a couple hints on there as to the next projects to be undertaken.

This is the intersection of 52nd and Tamarack Street NE, roughly at the midpoint of Phase 3 (facing north).  Tamarack is a collector route that serves as the main access to many subdivisions in the area, and is the only signalized intersection between Ashcroft and Scarlet along 52nd.  Construction is already under way here.

This is at the intersection of 52nd and Willow (facing east).  In order to make way for the widened roadway, there will need to be some . . . ahem . . . demolition.

This is at 52nd and Ashcroft, the western limits of the project (facing east).  As you can see, the right-of-way (ROW) is being prepped for the widened 52nd Avenue, which will also entail some demolition.

In order to better facilitate work on the existing 52nd Avenue travel lanes, crews have paved up a section of the new ROW and diverted traffic onto it.  This is facing east, at the Ashcroft intersection.

Here's where traffic is being detoured back onto the old ROW for the time being, just east of the Tamarack intersection (facing east).

Work underway at the Tamarack intersection (facing east), with the old ROW partially repaved.  A temporary access route from the new ROW allows access to commercial properties near the intersection.

The widening is largely completed at the western extent of the project now, at 52nd and Ashcroft (facing east).

This is at 52nd and Willow, post-widening (facing east).

This is at 52nd and Tamarack, post-widening (facing east).

Later, soundwalls were installed for the subdivisions to the north, and the widening attracted commercial development to the south (facing east).

Commercial development was also attracted to the 52nd and Ashcroft intersection as well (facing east).

More new development near 52nd and Willow, including the newest addition to the Chemeketa Park Department, Willow Park (facing east).

And as mentioned on the map and during Phase 2 construction, here's what happened to the 52nd/Sorenson intersection--it was converted into a Right-In/Right-Out (RIRO) setup, allowing access to/from eastbound 52nd.  Access to westbound 52nd must take place at 52nd and Scarlet or 52nd and Rankine.

That does it for this update of Tarkusian Cities and the 52nd Avenue Corridor Project.  We'll be onto the Highway 15/39th Avenue interchange project next time.

An interesting fact: this is the 25th entry dealing with the Chemeketa region, tying it with Argentum for the most focused-on region in Tarkusian Cities.  Next update, Chemeketa will break that record.

-Tarkus

deathtopumpkins

Nice update, Alex! It's always great to see what excellent things you can do with the NWM. And I love the little details in your construction projects like the river diversion and mitigation pond in update 81.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

art128

Looks like the car on the seventh picture is training for some sort of Drift or race? :D

Anyway, excellent work on widening this avenue. Apart from the demolitions it looks much better now.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Swordmaster

bakerton

Welcome back Alex. This latest update was wonderful. Waiting for more and that new interchange at 39th Street and hwy 15. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

Haljackey

Wow, these Ave-6s look so much better with a filled median! I'm assuming there's a mod for that somewhere... I'll have to look around for it. :)

You always take so much time and effort to show construction/reconstruction pics, and it shows. They are very well done. (I'm too lazy to do such a thing :P)

Anyways great work and Happy Holidays Alex!

-Ryan (Haljackey)