• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CasperVg

You've created yet another splendid update here, Alex! The maps that you add to virtually every update are informative, and certainly do help in getting around the complex systems that you build.

What happened to the Argentum Highway Shields tho?
" border="0 " border="0 " border="0 " border="0 " border="0

I can't wait for a new update  :thumbsup:

Page 33
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

EDGE4194

&apls- as usual i found myself studying each detail of your awesome map. There are some small 1x1 buildings in your downtown zoom (along main st i believe) that i don't recognize. do you recall where they came from?  You did a great job on this one alex- the town layout is done very well. The only thing that seems to be missing: there are no commercial buildings along the freeway. where are the gas stations, fast food, billboards etc...?

paroch

Hi Alex,

That is a really great overview shot - shows just how well the city is laid out.  And your selection of random shots shows the city off really well.

bakerton

Alex, Now that is an update. It was really nice and cool. Can't wait for the next update Alex. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Back with another Tarkusian update.

But first, replies . . . and a lot of them. ;)  Thank you for all the great comments and feedback! :thumbsup:

deathtopumpkins:  You are correct . . . I did indeed show the Highway 3/40 "West Lenox Interchange" in Show Us Your Interchanges . . . might as well show it here, too.  (Note that these are not the final models . . . those diagonal pieces and ramps will not be "floating" without supports when you finally get your hands on Version 21.)

Thanks for the compliments on the town as well--it's been awhile since I've done a non-desert region, so I figured it was time to bring out the Columbus mod.  The Target there is made by early BATer joerg and can be found on the STEX--and I've re-lotted it myself.  (My first ever serious lot, in fact.) 

And the Burger Kings are at Orson Road between Main and Railroad, and along Azalea Avenue near the Tigard Drive intersection. ;)

dark_horse_spirit:  The building with the yellow roof in the industrial area is SimGoober's Pet Supplies.  I believe it should be in the recently updated SimGoober I-M Megapack on the LEX--it's a Stage 4 I-M Camelot.

j-dub:  That's a good question.  I actually didn't have the NWM Alpha installed when I built Lenox.  I think it's definitely an ideal place for a TLA-5, though.  I'll admit, I'm a Burger King fan myself, too . . . though it doesn't compare to Carl's Jr, which actually outnumbers all other fast-food franchises here in Eugene. ;)

metarvo:  Hehe . . . that is a monopoly.  Though I'd imagine as Lenox grows, Mickey D's will find their way in.  And thanks for the kind words on the update--I can't get enough of the SAM Dark Asphalt set either.  And I'm quite pleased with how things have turned out using the Columbus mod . . . it's just the right shade . . .

allan_kuan1992:  Well, that gives me something to fix, doesn't it? :D  And thanks for the suggestion on Highway 3 as well . . . I still kinda like the Elevated setup . . . it looks alright in the Industrial area once the slope gets smoothed out.  I'm sure TDOT has some ideas as well, though.

Ryan (burgsabre87):  Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the update, and I can't wait to see what TDOT comes up with, either.

Haljackey:  Thanks!  Sorry for the small thumbnail . . . it seems to be a side effect of having a very wide map.  I'm glad to hear you managed to find it, and thanks for the compliments on it--glad you enjoyed the rest of the update as well!

sciurus54:  Thanks . . . though as the primary developer on the RHW, I'd be curious to know what your objections to the RHW are.  ;)

Arthur (art128):  Thanks for the kind words--I'm glad you enjoyed the RHW and FAR usage (there's a big stretch of FARR in there, too).  And I probably wouldn't mind living in Lenox myself, though I may be biased :D . . . reminds me a lot of a hybrid of a few towns here in Western Oregon.  (Those wacky intersections look like something straight out of Albany, Oregon.)

CommodoreTech:  Thanks for the kind words--I'm glad you enjoyed the re-engineering part of things.  I can't resist that sort of stuff myself, having been fascinated by road construction from an early age.  I always seem to find plenty of places in my cities to repeatedly tear up. :D

Vincent (south park):  Thanks, glad you enjoyed it, and hope you enjoy this latest update!

bat:  Thanks, I'm glad you liked Lenox . . . you'll get to see more of it this time around in Update 42!

Pat:  Thanks for the compliments--I'm glad you enjoyed the aerial shot (I really do need to start showing more of them) and the Elevated RHW, which you'll be seeing a lot more of here soon. ;)  And TDOT's never happy with anything--they're such perfectionists. ::)

Joan (Jmouse):  Thanks for the kind words and for the feedback on the various intersections.  Your comment regarding that one intersection actually sparked this update--TDOT listens. :D  As far as the One-Way near the railroad, it's part of a one-way couplet through downtown Lenox.  Its placement does cause some issues, though.  I'm glad you liked the neighborhoods, and I hope this update here answers some lingering transportational questions. ;)

nerdly_dood:  Thanks for the constructive feedback!  Like Joan's, it helped give me the idea for this latest update. :)  And I agree with j-dub, too. ;)

Zack (woodb3kmaster): Thanks for the kind words--and I think there's enough stuff in Lenox that's just messed up enough for TDOT to have some fun. :D  I'm really glad to hear you managed to get the SAM Diagonals working, too! 

sim-al2:  Yes, those pencils are being pushed quite a bit around there . . . so TDOT can get enough funding. :D  Thanks for the feedback on the roads in the industrial area, too . . . they probably do need a little bit more tweaking.  I do use a fairly strict slope mod, and fought with that area a bit, but it still is a bit . . . bumptastic.

Dustin (thundercrack83):  Thanks, I'm glad you found Lenox to your liking, and enjoyed the latest map!  Hope you enjoy this latest update as well!

Casper (caspervg):  Thanks for the kind words!  I'm pleased to hear the maps were helpful. :)  That's a good question on the highway shields, too . . . those old Argentum ones are actually identical to Oregon state highway shields (see here).  While the Oregon shields do give me a bit of a sense of familiarity, they're not the most exciting design by any means (::)), and I wanted to give myself a little bit more room to be creative, so I came up with the new shields. 

Eric (EDGE4194):  Thanks for the kind words, and I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed the latest map and the town layout.  Those 1x1 commercial buildings on Main Street there are part of Deadwoods' Aussie Small Retail Series--I believe they're on the STEX.  I don't have a link at the moment (the search function isn't cooperating at the moment), but I'll post it here once I'm able to get to it.  They've become a fixture in most of my small towns. 

And as far as the lack of commercial stuff along the freeway, Highway 3 only recently supplanted what is now Highway 151 as the main route through town . . . Lenox has been growing at a fairly fast rate, though, so it's likely not going to be long before it's lined with gas stations and . . . McDonald's. :D

Paul (paroch):  Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the overview random selection of shots . . . I rather enjoyed taking that approach this time around with introducing Lenox, and may have to do that with more frequency.  And thanks for the compliments on the layout as well! :)

Jon (bakerton):  Thanks, glad to hear it was "cool"! :)  Hope you enjoy this latest installment as well. ;)

Lenox--Highway 151/Sealey Way Intersection

This project will realign and provide safety improvements to the intersection of Highway 151 (Azalea Avenue/Main Street/Railroad Street) with Sealey Way.  This intersection is the busiest intersection in Lenox. 

Highway 151 is a former primary route, and the main arterial to the north and south of Downtown Lenox, providing a "business loop" off of the Highway 3 freeway.  Azalea Avenue splits into the Main/Railroad One-Way Couplet just before reaching Sealey Way, a minor arterial providing access to residential areas on the north side of town, along with connecting downtown to Tigard Drive and River Road.

Below is a map and an image of the existing conditions at Highway 151 and Sealey:

Map

Existing Intersection (facing north)

Construction begins (facing north)  Two houses were removed.

The southern segment of Sealey Way, with the Railroad Street intersection (facing north)

Azalea Avenue has been closed off for construction, with motorists advised to use Hillside Drive to 2nd Street in the interim.  Motorists on the northern portion of Sealey can still access downtown and the Main/Railroad couplet.  As you can probably guess from this image, Azalea will be elevated as part of the project, so that the intersection will no longer be complicated by the railroad. (facing east)

There were some concerns at the open house meetings from citizens whose property backed directly up to the new alignment.  However, they conceded that elevating Azalea Avenue would cause less noise than elevating the railroad.  In addition, this option was less costly.

The southern segment of Sealey is closed off for realignment. (facing north)

Now the northern segment of Sealey has been closed off.  As you can see, the two sections of Main Street now connect, and Azalea connects directly into the northern segment of Sealey.  Railroad Street connects to Azalea via an Elevated T-Intersection. (facing north)

The new alignment of the north portion of Sealey has been completed.  (facing north)

The area between Main and Railroad is being developed, and will include a small park, with a new playground to replace the one removed near the library.  A new small playground has also been placed near the library as well. (facing north)

The southern portion of Sealey Way, which no longer connects to the northern portion.  The city is considering renaming this stretch of road as a result.  5th Street now directly connects to Railroad instead of Sealey. (facing north)

A closer in look at the Azalea/Main/Sealey Intersection. (facing south)

A map and an overview of the completed improvements:

Map

Overview

And that does it for this installment of Tarkusian Cities.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Pat

Alex wonderful stuff that TDOT is doing and I know they work so hard to give us the best and so I apperciate that!!! Let them know they are doing a damn great job at it!!!!!  :thumbsup:

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Haljackey

Hmm... Interesting to say the least.  What a creative update Alex!  I've done the same for intersecting roads and overpasses (applied to ramps too).  Although I've never quite seen it done like this before.  The new alignment looks a little more "griddy", yet more efficient.

Keep it up!  You always have something unique to show here!

Best,
-Haljackey

metarvo

Always tearing it up and then building it back.  That's how it's done in road construction.  At least TDOT didn't run out of money.  I once saw a large-scale project that entailed the widening of a two lane state highway (RHW-2's) to four lanes (RHW-4's) get abandoned.  I don't know the exact reason for this decision, but I heard that lack of funding was the main cause.  Oh, well...  /wrrd%&  This update was superb, Alex. :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Simpson

WOW, wow and also Wow  ;D
These two update are fantastic
The first picture is my preferate. I love the general picture

Fantastic work Alex. And also I'm looking forward to the next update, my friend
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

Jmouse

You really outdid yourself this time Alex! This project is one of the most interesting I've seen so far, and as always, the maps made it easy to follow.

There's no outguessing you either - I've never heard of an elevated T intersection, but it's a perfect fit for this situation. Could it be that one T will lead to another? Anyway, I like the way you redecorated the surrounding areas, too. The finished project looks very realistic, both on the map and in the overview.

Excellent update...
Joan

art128

great work on that rebuilt of the speedway and the main street Alex  &apls really fantastic work  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

bat

Like always fantastic work on that new update!
Beautiful pictures of the Highqay 151 and Sealey Way Intersection!!!! :thumbsup:
Great!

debutterfly

Nice work Alex.  :thumbsup: I really like the way you show the construction in your photos. Also, you need to update your signature...you changed the RHW part but not your MD. You need to change it so people can know that you have more picturesque photos to show them.  ;)

Sheep49

Great work, Alex!

The map looks awesome, what application did you use to make that? Is it Adobe Illustrator? If so, I think I know what I'm going to buy for X-mas for myself :P

I'd really like to build such realistic interchanges... especially RHW ones ;)

And I just love the look of the newly developed area! It's looking so nice :thumbsup:

The only thing that I didn't find really good is the street on the first picture, where the SAM texture is broken half way in ;) But when rebuilding, I see that you fixed it, so everything is OK. :D

Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:
Piotr
Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

bakerton

Nice update Alex. By any chance, do you work for the DOT or for any construction companies? I say that because you are a master on this stuff. SimCity or not, your projects are inspiring and cool to look at. Waiting for more projects. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

deathtopumpkins

That was a lot of construction for one little intersection! I like how it turned out though, as that elevated intersection's a nice idea...

The little park looks nice too, and the smooth curves should keep traffic flowing smoothly through there for years to come...
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

EDGE4194

alex- great work on the realignment project! a perfect use of the elevated t-intersection. I actually liked the angles streets before, but the new alignments are more efficient.

Fatsuhono

Tarkus: These 'Tarkusian Cities' are very well-made. You have outstanding quality with custom BAT use, I love the flora and your great interchange.
Keep it up! :) :thumbsup:

phoenix7

As usual, I am entertained by your awesome roadgeekery and previews of new technology. I agree that the Sealey/Hwy 151 intersection was very dangerous, but I have to ask, why not sink the rail line? This would preserve the residents' views, reduce noise, and get rid of that ugly elevated intersection.

j-dub

Well even though its Alex's city, heres the thing, realistically, you can't always sink the rail line, after its built. I don't know anywhere that has done this in a suburb. Right now my real area of multiple communities, never had the $ to build overpasses, or tall fences to keep the freight trains from causing trouble. If this were reality sinking that line would cost alot of money. After all that hard labor, if I was a construction worker, I wouldn't be happy about having to tear these new overpasses down, and do more work.