• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Is this possible: Boolean terrain tool?

Started by tomvsotis, January 14, 2019, 08:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomvsotis

This is a question about a possible solution about something that's been annoying me about SC4 for ages. I have no idea of the technical feasibility of this, so I'm kinda just throwing it out there to people who know more about the game's inner workings than I do:

Would it be possible to code a terrain tool that raises to a certain level but DOESN'T lower (or vice versa)? So in other words, if I have terrain that's, say, 275m high, and I use this hypothetical tool, it will raise all terrain lower than 275m to that height, but it WON'T lower terrain that's higher?

Basically, I guess, I'm talking about implementing a terrain tool with a built-in Boolean operation: IF height is LESS THAN [number], THEN raise terrain to [number]; IF height is GREATER THAN or EQUAL to [number], do nothing. What do you think, SC4 brains trust: is this possible?

[Edit: turns out that this forum converts the letter x in square brackets into bullet points]

Wiimeiser

Not in game, unless SimMaster can get another breakthrough, though it might be posible to make a brush or something for Terraformer.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

tomvsotis

mgb204

I wouldn't be so sure this wasn't possible...

If you look at the Teirusu Rain tool for example, that's one case where an additional item was added to the game. So it's certainly possible to add new terrain tools to the menu. Could you do explicitly what you ask is another question altogether. But I certainly don't know of any tutorials to help you. So it's a case of digging in to that mod and re-engineering it to work as you desire. Perhaps the original Maxis tools are present in SimCity_1.dat, which would be more useful, since you'd have some sort of a template to work from.

tomvsotis

Quote from: mgb204 on January 16, 2019, 08:01:56 AM
I wouldn't be so sure this wasn't possible...

If you look at the Teirusu Rain tool for example, that's one case where an additional item was added to the game. So it's certainly possible to add new terrain tools to the menu. Could you do explicitly what you ask is another question altogether. But I certainly don't know of any tutorials to help you. So it's a case of digging in to that mod and re-engineering it to work as you desire. Perhaps the original Maxis tools are present in SimCity_1.dat, which would be more useful, since you'd have some sort of a template to work from.
Hey, just to say thanks for this -- I missed it when you replied, so I'm just seeing it now, and it's def something to go on :)