• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Curious about certain kinds of ramps

Started by Pythias900KMB, September 12, 2017, 01:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pythias900KMB

Many salutations, NAM team!!!  Let me first start off by expressing my profound appreciation for all the hard work you have done; still, I have noticed what appears to be a blind spot.  Is there any way to create inside A2, B2, D2 and E2 ramps?  The way I have set the mood for my highway-to-highway interchanges is to make the right lane from the source highway egress only into an RHW-4S that ends in a D1 ramp in which the right lane curves toward the RHW-4S collector for the other highway while the left lane is a turnaround.

mgb204

Support for inside ramps has always been somewhat limited, taking a back seat to the much more common outside ramps. A1 Inside ramps exist with a suitable Flex piece in the FlexRamp menu.

Every single piece inside the NAM requires it's own models, paths, textures and code to make it work. Inside ramps are no exception, even if they appear to be simply mirrored versions of the outside ones, in reality it's more complex to realise and someone has to do all the work to make it happen. Given that adding an inside version for every outside ramp would have doubled the workload, that isn't really a viable plan, especially since these setups are far less useful for players. Whilst some additional pieces may be added in future, I'm doubtful we'd ever go so far as supporting every variant.

druidlove

If you're working with a 4 lane highway (RHW-8S), it is possible to use a D2 to separate into 2 RHW-4, and the right branch can be used as the continuing highway. That's the closest you'll get to a left egress. It isn't a great alternative for a highway like this in North Denver.

Pythias900KMB

Gratitude for showing me that, Druidlove!  I would be overjoyed if the Network Amendment Modification were to gain the capability to construct highway junctions like that Colorado highway you showed me.  I sometimes daydream what it would be like residing in another state; still, it is not going to solve my problem with this unjust eviction I am facing.

I suppose a better way for me to have posed this question:  Could I take ... say, an A2/D2 outside FlexRamp and use an RHW-4s starter facing the opposite direction of the ramp to create inside X2 ramps?  Perhaps I could manually draw the inside A1/D1 ramp and then use an RHW-4S starter to revise it to my liking.

APSMS

Although FLEX ramps are versatile, what you're trying to do is nonsensical in the sense that there is no "tricking the system" as it were to behave like you want.

Simply put, inside ramps with the NAM always realign the outer lanes, with the singular exception (which isn't really an exception) being the non-FLEX RHW-6C to RHW-2+RHW-4 inside ramp piece.

If you place the RHW starter facing the wrong way, either of two things will happen:
1) The ramp won't work because the improper direction won't trigger the override correctly and the paths will be facing the wrong way,
OR
2) You simply reverse the ramp orientation from a D2 offramp to a D2 onramp. The actual footprint is still not what you're going for.

I strongly suspect 1) is more likely to happen. The conversion will simply fail.

The reason is that FLEX ramps use flags to reference transit/ramp setups that have already been identified in code. If an offramp hasn't been coded or textured for, then it doesn't exist in game and no amount of coaxing or trickery will get it to show up. This is because all transit items in the game are static and 2-dimensional (flat). Even overpasses are just 3D visualizations of a flat network tile; a visual trick, if you will. Although there is a lot of flexibility in where you arrange these elements to build your RHW network, at the end of the day if a ramp, or the "style" of ramp that you're looking for isn't supported, it won't show up or work should you manage to approximate its appearance via "hacks".

Pictures would be more ideal to express what you want, but at the end of the day an inside ramp that merges smoothly into an existing carriageway much like how the outside ramps do is simply not going to be possible aside from the limited options that already exist (and a great deal more exist now than have ever existed previously).
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation