• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Pieces of custom region blank out after saving

Started by geckogirl191, May 30, 2014, 04:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geckogirl191

Hello. I've just started playing Simcity 4 again after grabbing a DRM-free digital copy of the Deluxe Edition from GOG.com. I was curious about any custom regions that were still available, so I downloaded a large custom region called Bastia, imported it through the latest version of SC4Mapper and saved it, but when I open the region in-game, I notice that a few patches of land are blanked out. However, when I click the blank patch, it loads just fine. What's even weirder is, upon having loaded any patch of land, it asks me to reconcile the edges, and when I accept, the edges are completely submerged, as if there was no land on either side, even though there should be.

Is this a problem with the custom region itself, or have I found a new bug here? Or is this supposed to happen, for some odd reason?

PS.: Before you ask, Windows 7 64-bit. Also, the game was on a custom resolution when this happened, and changing to a default resolution (in windowed mode) and re-saving the region in SC4Mapper didn't help either.

vortext

Well I'm not sure if it's supposed to happen but yeah, both blank tiles & edge reconciliation are regular issues with newly imported custom maps. And as you already found out it's best just to ignore them.  :)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

epicblunder

Your first issue happens when you run a map that is larger than the amount of RAM you have.  I don't know what map you're talking about but this problem starts popping up when you get into maps that are ~60km on a side.  How much RAM do you have?  If you have more than 2Gb, and since you are already on a 64bit OS, you can apply the 4Gb memory patch to the simcity4.exe and it will solve your first problem.  Sorry i don't have a link handy, but drunkapple left instructions in either his Hawaii or Los Angeles maps, i don't remember exactly which.  Region size will still be RAM dependant; for instance i have 8Gb with a patched .exe and the largest region i can run reliably is 92km x 120km.

As to the second issue, you should turn off the auto-reconcile in settings.  When city tiles are fresh out of Mapper, the game always thinks the boundaries on neighboring tiles is '0' elevation until those neighboring tiles are opened and saved.  Just disable the auto-reconcile in settings: you almost never need to use that feature anyone once you start using custom maps.  It will only come in handy once you terraform something that needs to cross a border, like a bridge or transit causeway.

geckogirl191

Thanks for the help! ;D

I've given the game's executable the 4GB patch treatment, but the blank patches of land still stay blank, ever after re-saving that region (link to Bastia, the custom region I downloaded for this, is right here). Although, upon further inspection, I noticed that most of the ones that showed up blank on the city selection screen turned out to be mostly water with only a few islands, so I guess it's not that much of a loss. I guess I'll ignore those tiny bitty glitches, seeing as the region still works like it should for the most part.

compdude787

To make the region display right, you have to open up each city tile, then save and exit to region. I know it's kind of tedious but it's just something you have to do with regions imported from SC4 Mapper.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

geckogirl191

I've figured that one out already, but thanks anyway.