• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

After a nearly one month hiatus, Tarkusian Cities is back.  We'll be going back to Wakeman to see yet another construction project, in which South 22nd Avenue will be extended down from Wakeman Boulevard (Highways 24/89) down to Latimer Road, the latter of which is a crucial road south of town which connects up with the South Industrial Area, as well as Camel Point State Park.

But first, replies.

Daniel (Shadow Assassin):  Thanks, I'm glad you like the TLAs!  And Wakeman is indeed experiencing a bit of a population boom now.  You'll hardly recognize it in a few updates.

Haljackey:  Yes, that is indeed a Avenue/Road intersection with Turn Lanes.  Actually, technically, it's a TLA-5/Road intersection.  That'll be a standard feature of that network once I finally unleash it, and I've played around a lot with the Avenue Turning Lanes Plugin, so an actual Avenue/Road intersection with Turn Lanes may not be far off. ;)  Thanks for stopping by! :)

Casper (caspervg):  Thanks!  Being a bit of a roadgeek, I can't help it. :D  And yes, those cars are indeed using the turn lanes on the TLA-5 there.  I might have to figure out the whole video-making thing one of these days so you all can see them in action.

mightygoose:  Thanks for the compliments, and you are indeed right about the missing turn lane--good catch!  The RULs weren't entirely stable yet, so that may be what happened there.

bat:  Thanks, and I hope you enjoy this one. :)

EDGE4194:  Thanks for the compliments on the TLAs, and I have finally released a basic version of the Wasco Terrain Mod on my NHP "Non-Transit" thread [linkie], for anyone who wants to give it a spin.

Pat:  Thanks, and I'm glad to see someone finally asked about the origin of the town's name.  Wakeman is named after Rick Wakeman, best known for his tenure as the keyboard player in the band Yes (my all-time favorite band).  Just one of dozens of prog references laced throughout this MD. ;)

bakerton:  I'm glad to hear you liked the construction, thanks!  I'd imagine it does get a bit noisy, though.  Wakeman is kind of a hybrid of two RL towns I'm rather fond of, The Dalles, Oregon and Ellensburg, Washington (home of my alma mater Central Washington University).  As far as mass transit goes, there isn't any.  The city's population is still only a mere 25,000, which, by RL standards, is a bit small for mass transit.  At least here in Oregon, all the towns/metro areas that have mass transit systems have populations of around 100,000+.  And being the harsh critic that I am, I'm not a big fan of any of them, for various reasons. :D

bighead99:  Thanks, and actually, I have to give props to DeeJay of the SFBT for those construction lots I've used in all these updates.  Without them, this MD wouldn't be the same.

quackmofro:  I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the TLA usage, thanks!  As far as the power lines go, I'm using fukuda's High Tension Poles, which are available on the STEX [link]

Joan (Jmouse):  Thanks, I'm flattered you enjoyed the latest update, and hope you enjoy the latest developments here.  I'll have a new map next time, too. :)

sebes:  I got a good laugh out of that comment--thanks!  Perhaps we should convince them to join the Forums.  ;D  I'm sure they'd probably learn some good stuff from Rhenen, too.  I think the City of Eugene, Oregon could use it, too.  And I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the TLAs. :)

Starmanw402007:  Thanks, and I'm looking forward to letting you and everyone else "have at it" with the TLAs, hopefully sooner than later.

rusummer1:  Thanks, I hope you enjoyed this latest update!

Jason (jplumbley):  ROFL . . . yes, I did indeed sneak the new Road Turning Lanes (RTL) Plugin into Wakeman, so I could still have turn lanes with the TLAs.  But to be fair, I did path and T21 them myself. ;D

South 22nd Avenue Extension: Wakeman to Latimer

This project will extend South 22nd Avenue from South Wakeman Boulevard, south to South Latimer Road.  The new roadway will consist of 3 travel lanes, one of which will be a center left turn lane, with a 35mph (60 km/h) speed limit.  While some of the area that the proposed extension will run through is currently in unincorporated Palmer County, it will be annexed into the Wakeman City Limits with the completion of the project.

The existing intersection of 22nd and Wakeman, looking east (an all-too familiar site now :D).  Work has begun on grading the path the road will take.

The south end of the extension at Latimer Road, which was widened in part to 3 travel lanes in preparation for the new intersection. (looking west)

22nd and Wakeman with the extension now in place. (looking east)

The new intersection of 22nd and Latimer (looking east)

In addition to the new roadway, a new park is being constructed at the corner of 22nd and Wakeman, which will connect to a pedestrian path that will parallel the entire length of the new extension. (looking east)

A part of the completed pedestrian path.  A sound wall has also been placed on the east side of 22nd, as Phase One of a new subdivision, Anderson Village, will be going in here.  (looking east)

Jon Anderson Park completed. (looking east, yet again :D)

The preliminary work on the new subdivision (still looking east)

The streets are paved in preparation for construction on the home sites.

Looking at the new intersection of 22nd and Horn Street, at the northwest corner of the subdivision, with some of the new houses complete.  Pranksters have already made this area a target, liberally distributing bathroom tissue on the trees along 21st Avenue.  Not sure which brand they're using.

Hope you enjoyed this latest update.  I'll be back with more construction next time.  No buildings were harmed in the making of this update (amazingly). Bad for my reputation, I know.  :D

-Alex (Tarkus)

Heblem

what I like about this MD is the road project and construction developments, really interesting how you do it... what I liked most was the uses of SAM for construction stages.

Nice work, can't wait to use TLA aswell

Alfred.Jones

I think you should have planned it out a bit more before you started development :D

Nice work Tarkus :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion

Pat

Sweet Alex I wonder what band that could be lol.... Anyways you are wanting to know how to make a movie from the game its rather simply... 

bring up the comand box, with ctrl x of course...

Type in Record or Recorder I cant remember off the top of my head but its either of them and I think it might be listed in Davids [dedgrens] keyboard shortcut list for it.... 

Now you would want to adjust the box size just by clicking and dragging on the outline to the desired size and hit record...

After done recording you will need to hit stop and then save, it will save to RecordedAnimations folder in the sc4 folder...

Now you will need to open up Windows Movie Maker and go from there to import the pics from RecoredAnimations and then when you get ready to put the pics by highlighted them and get ready to drag into the timeline..

before putting the pics into the timeline make sure you adjust the time by going tools/option/advanced then adjust pic duration to 1 sec and also adjust transition duration to 1 sec...

final step is save to make a movie and upload to say youtube and post here your video with this type of code

[flash=800,600]http://www.youtube.com/v/YvKVSAngGIM[/flash]

to get that link just cut out of the code that its generated by youtube and presto you got a video of the traffic  ;)  any other questions just ask me and I will be more then happier to help out....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bat

Fantastic work there on that update! And great pictures of the constructions! Looking forward to more of them! ;)

Haljackey

Ah, a nice update once again!

That looks like Beautiful subdivision!  Also, I like your green space!  They seem to go hand-in-hand in your last picture.  Keep it up!

Best,
-Haljackey

j-dub

Alex I think Video diaries would be awesome too, if the windows movie maker way is too long, there is a program called Fraps that records any game, lots of people have made videos of this particular game using that on Youtube. The trial version of Fraps will allow a decent amount of time to record footage from this game, and you can record again and again. It also takes in any sound from the game as well, good for traffic noise. It would be interesting to see the new transit items getting constructed that way.

JoeST

Hey Tarkus, Absolutly fantastic showcase of works here. you always astound me

especialy the toilet paper... LOL

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Jmouse

Well now, Alex, this update actually made sense to me - does that mean one of us is slipping! :P Seriously, I really like the way you've shown the mechanics involved in the 22nd Ave. extension and the addition of a new subdivision. All very true-to-life!

Until the next project...
Joan

thundercrack83

Extraordinary work, Alex!

I absolutely love your use of the dirt SAM roads as paths for construction, then the paved ones to show the difference it's very clever!

The construction sites look great, too, and I they look even better when the development is finished!

Keep up the great work here, my friend! You're doing a fabulous job, as always. I'll be back to see your next update!

Dustin

BigSlark

Extremely realistic update, Alex. I love how you plan out neighborhoods and highways before you construct them, I think that's where the authenticity comes in.

And as always I appreciate being teased with new transit toys!  :D

Cheers,
Kevin

nerdly_dood

I like it a lot!

Also I agree with BigSlark about, well, all of his post.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

bakerton

Alex, what a wonderful job Wakeman and area looks. The park and subdivision looks great. Yeah, 25,000 for population seems small, but you will be suprise on how well it works with that population. Anyway, looking forward to more in the future. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

EDGE4194

Excellent update Alex  :thumbsup: I love the name of the park- how did you ever think of it? :D Great use of the asphalt SAM streets. I have never been quite sure where to use them, and must say they are perfect in a brand new subdivision.

Quesh

I like to see the clue of construction a district as you do, it's really great, a great job  &apls

kassarc16

Looking great Tarkus! I get jealous every time I see those TLAs! Can't wait for the NWM tree to bear fruit!

Ryan B.

warszawa

Hey Alex! That road mod looks really effective and realistic. I can't wait to see the development start in that area where the construction lots are. Keep up the brilliant work and see you soon.

Alex
Visit my Warsaw, Poland MD.

threestooges

I am always amazed (though I shouldn't be by now, you do it so consistently) at how you keep expanding the possibilities of the game and how good it looks. The suburbs turned out well, and their development pics look good too. As other have already said, the SAM was a nice touch there. I haven't been keeping up with the turning lane threads as much as I probably should but I just wanted to comment on that fourth pic with the double set of turning lanes. It's a small detail, but really a nice touch. Excellent work, all of it.
-Matt

rusummer1

Check out my SoundCloud https://soundcloud.com/russmass