• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Maxis Highway Override (Project Symphony) - Development & Support

Started by MandelSoft, October 31, 2012, 09:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

@ a_muses - I could be wrong but I think you need a one tile gap between the road and the ramp to connect it up correctly.

Can I just ask if there are any plans to adapt the MHW CAN-AM overpasses, it's just currently they show the ugly MHW in the centre tile?

jdenm8

Those transitions in the Symphony menu are all starterless. They're not intended to be used for Diamond interchanges like that, just the modular Roundabout Interchange.

Use standard MIS puzzle pieces for interchanges other than the Roundabout.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

a_muses

Quote from: jdenm8 on August 02, 2014, 08:40:08 PM
Those transitions in the Symphony menu are all starterless. They're not intended to be used for Diamond interchanges like that, just the modular Roundabout Interchange.

Use standard MIS puzzle pieces for interchanges other than the Roundabout.

Standard MIS pieces from the RHW? Will RHW L2 on/off-ramps correctly intersect with Symphony?
I never could get the hang of signatures....

jdenm8

Symphony has its own exit ramps, the RHW ones won't work. However, the ramps in Symphony will work with all of the MIS content and, by extension, anything else that the MIS can connect to.

For example, here:

mgb204

I asked before about PS updates to the CAN-AM, so I thought I'd see if I could do something about it, then promptly ran into what should have been the first obvious problem:

I've changed the textures to PS ones easily (although they are the wrong way round for some reason), but the existing model is clearly not big enough to simply re-texture. What would I have to do to fix this piece (and other similar pieces)? Can I find a model from PS and re-use it for my purposes? Would the path files need changing as well (I'm guessing they will since it's only 2 lanes now)?

UPDATE

Having "borrowed" the S3D models from the PS mod, I re-ID'd them to match those from the CAN-AM pieces and created this working override:

I still have to deal with the paths, since they are the original MHW as I expected. Hopefully if I can work out the paths I can make some of the other missing pieces match PS too.

Gray_Lensman

Gentlemen:

I'm trying to go thru the pdf tutorials starting in the PS (Project Symphony) manual. Right away I am stuck trying to find some "Road over MHW" piece supposedly located in the "Roads Menu". I've tabbed thru each and every possible selection trying to find such a piece and I'm having absolutely zero luck finding that particular item. So has it been moved somewhere else since the manual (v3.1) has been released or what?

Moved to Maxis Highway Override/Project Symphony thread. -Tarkus

mgb204

This is not really the right thread, perhaps a moderator can move it to the PS/MHO support thread?

Anyhow, indeed the option to do this is still there, in the roads menu are 5 icons labelled as follows:

7.5/15m Elevated Road/Avenue/OWR Viaducts, select the appropriate icon and tab until you find "Road/Ave/OWR over Ground Highway". There should be options for various configurations of Ortho and Diagonal connections.

Bear in mind the previews still show the MHW but the pieces should be correct when plopped.

If you are using the Jap NAM FL mod for road viaducts, these pieces need updating for MHO. I've covered the Ortho x Ortho crossings as part of my MHO Update mod which you can find here in which case.

Gray_Lensman

Quote from: mgb204 on August 02, 2015, 06:35:00 PM
This is not really the right thread, perhaps a moderator can move it to the PS/MHO support thread?

Anyhow, indeed the option to do this is still there, in the roads menu are 5 icons labelled as follows:

7.5/15m Elevated Road/Avenue/OWR Viaducts, select the appropriate icon and tab until you find "Road/Ave/OWR over Ground Highway". There should be options for various configurations of Ortho and Diagonal connections.

Bear in mind the previews still show the MHW but the pieces should be correct when plopped.

If you are using the Jap NAM FL mod for road viaducts, these pieces need updating for MHO. I've covered the Ortho x Ortho crossings as part of my MHO Update mod which you can find here in which case.

Sorry if it's in the wrong thread, but immense thanks for quickly pointing me in the correct direction. I found both the 7.5 and the 15m versions. Now hopefully I can use the experience to proceed on my own thru the rest of the tutorials.  :)

Wiimeiser

There is still absolutely zero cross compatibility between Symphony and draggable (or even ploppable) viaducts. In fact, while I haven't bothered to try it, I believe that creating an avenue viaduct over GHWY crossing then reinstalling the override will cause the city to CTD upon loading because the resulting situation with the viaduct is illegal.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

jdenm8

Since Symphony is just a model override (there's literally no RUL code in the mod aside from that needed for the new puzzle pieces), it's completely compatible with anything made for MHWY. It'll just revert to regular MHWY for that particular unsupported section is all.

Also, an unsupported intersection will never cause a CTD, you'll just get either an empty tile and override deconversion or a red drag.

mgb204

Quote from: Wiimeiser on August 07, 2015, 05:09:20 PM
There is still absolutely zero cross compatibility between Symphony and draggable (or even ploppable) viaducts. In fact, while I haven't bothered to try it, I believe that creating an avenue viaduct over GHWY crossing then reinstalling the override will cause the city to CTD upon loading because the resulting situation with the viaduct is illegal.

As mentioned, the CTD is simply not possible, in every occurrence that the newer MHO models do not exist, you'll simply see the old MHW instead for that section.

I do believe all the ortho viaduct pieces over G-MHO pieces have been made at both heights for the ploppable viaducts at least. I made a second set for the Jap NAM Facelift variants, so I would have tested to check the originals were there beforehand. You may not realise but the Jap NAM Facelift versions load later than the NAM, having this mod installed will again revert the pieces to MHW that were updated to MHO.

That said, if those crossings don't exist for the regular NAM, I'll get right on them myself, but please bear in mind this is not a simple job. Sadly you can't just make a texture override for these pieces, you must make a completely new model for each one, it's very time consuming work to do.

People bemoan the compatibility, but in truth the original devs made a huge number of crossings compatible for the original Maxis networks. Therein lies the problem, if you are not using the original Maxis Monorail, El-Rail or other pieces then support by and large was not extended to these overrides. I've been personally trying to create as many of the missing crossings as possible, but as I'm the only one working on them, it will take some time before this work can be completed.

When I started this, I was not part of the NAM team, although it has always been my goal to make my work available as part of the NAM, for now though you still need to install my MHO Patch Mod, V2 is here on the LEX. Bear in mind also I'm very focused on the Ortho/Ortho crossings, the diagonals are even harder to make but I do hope eventually to get to those as well.

jdenm8

The way Mandelsoft and I used to do the crossings was by merging the models for the two generic straight/diagonal tiles in Model Tweaker. Maybe we'd rotate one or both a bit so it matched what the network expected.

Paths were similar, copy and paste from the generic straight or diagonal tiles.

IIRC, the generics had pretty low IIDs, they should be near the top of the file if you sort it by IID.

mgb204

Confirmed: Every variation of Ortho/Diagonal overpass works for 7.5m and 15m Road and Avenue and 15m OWRs without any additional files.

@ Jdenm8  - I guess I've been doing it the hard way then, adjusting the various segments in the Reader S3D exemplars. Using your method how do you get the original Maxis Highway pieces removed when you merge the new part in?

jdenm8

We completely discarded the original Maxis Highway model and started again from the two generic network tiles. So, for example, take the plain ortho Ground Symphony model (0x5AD0E817, 0xBADB57F1, 0x0A001504) and the plain ortho Monorail models (Note sure of the TGI of this). Rotate them so they're oriented correctly, then one is duplicated and the other is merged into the duplicate.

2D networks (like Road) is a bit more complex since it does require manual S3D modification to make the UV Mapping correct.

slayermemet

Hello . I wonder is there any patch or piece for connecting diagonal rhw-4 and project symphony 4 pieces. I could not find any pieces to do that. Also it would be great if we have some diagonal ramp interfaces.
The job you are doing is really great guys. I appreciate that.

eggman121

Quote from: slayermemet on October 14, 2015, 10:51:38 AM
Hello . I wonder is there any patch or piece for connecting diagonal rhw-4 and project symphony 4 pieces. I could not find any pieces to do that. Also it would be great if we have some diagonal ramp interfaces.
The job you are doing is really great guys. I appreciate that.

The problem with such a piece is that RHW 4S and Project Symphony Diagonal have different geometry so a new piece would need to be added. I guess we can put down on our list.

Diagonals are harder to make by nature but I'm sure we can sort something out  ;)

-eggman121

compdude787

Not only would it be nice to have some diagonal ramp interfaces, but some FA ramps would be nice too.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

matias93

I know this is not the adequate thread, but the theme was already rised: there is some possibility to do diagonal flexheight pieces? (assuming puzzle height changers are discarded)

Greets!

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

mgb204

In theory the current puzzle piece could be flexified, since the model already exists it's simply a matter of adding the relevant code I'd have thought.

That said, I wasn't under the impression there was any developers working on MHO, besides myself? I have no plans to flexify anything, I'm far more concerned with adding support for pieces that are missing altogether right now.