• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Themistokles City Gallery: A Tropical Idea

Started by Themistokles, December 26, 2015, 02:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Again very good work of you - how you got this city at the bottom of a mountain, as already said; the MMP work, especially at the coast and the Burgbächlein; and how you got the GRL-on-road around the corner and down a slope.

noahclem

Beautiful update  &apls  Your slope building and use of walls (some of which I'm not familiar with using) is particularly impressive, though your MMPs and organization of bats deserves plenty of recognition. Great work!

kbieniu7

Nice! I agree with feyss, the tram loop with a roundabout filler inside is a clever idea and fits there! You're manage very well with difference of elevation, how the tram and raillines are meandring trough the slopes and how you use the retaining walls. The stream and rock filling, as well as the coast at the photo number 7 is magnificient  :thumbsup: Plus for the construction site  ;)

However, I would add a little bit of critisism too. Hope, you don't mind  ::) This skyscraper with four identical tenemets merged - I guess, it had to work as a one building? Good idea, however, in my opinion, it doesn't look too nice together? What is more, the "normal" w2ws on the other side of the street. What are they doing here? For me it seems like the very edge of the city, with recent developement. They seems very isolated and a bit out of context right here.

Hope, you'll answer my questions ;) But remember! Overal score of your work is very high! It's all about making it even better!
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Seaman

nice. I adore the neat sandstone walls you used as embarkment. They fit very well in the area. I asume the stone is from a local quarry?

(honestly, may I ask where you got those?)

Swordmaster

Amazing work! Being terrible with building on slopes myself, I admire your ability there.

Cheers
Willy

Themistokles

Found myself fiddling around trying to improve my very poor image editing skills... For now a teaser, and real update and replies will come as soon as studies permit ;)

St Edmea - beauty of the Alpine region and yes, there are two modern cars there...

Just one reply, that might need an answer more rapidly:

Quote from: Seaman on February 05, 2016, 12:38:46 PM
nice. I adore the neat sandstone walls you used as embarkment. They fit very well in the area. I asume the stone is from a local quarry?

Oh, yes, they're from an old quarry up in the highlan... ah, I see ;D I believe you mean either xannepan's lighter ever so versatile quais de seine or the darker, more rough one which is a prop released by mattb325 and shipped with his cruise ship terminal.
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

APSMS

I love your work, it's very detailed and meticulous. The image editing is pretty good (I'm terrible at it), but the composition of the picture is what stands out. I very much liked your other city pics, but I don't remember commenting before to tell you so.

At any rate, you have a great attention to detail and patience far exceeding mine, and it shows. Thanks for sharing!

Quote from: Themistokles on February 06, 2016, 01:38:38 PMSt Edmea - beauty of the Alpine region and yes, there are two modern cars there...
Also, there are three cars there, not two, but I won't hold it against you :D.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Akallan

Still impressive. There are many good ideas in your constructions, congratulations! :thumbsup:
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

compdude787

Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Very nice teaser, can't await to see more!

I have a request: In your previous update, I've seen you frequently using huge rocks, like seen on next screenshot around the area where the Burgbächlein emerges from the ground. Are these MMP's? And if yes, could you kindly provide me with the download link?

Simcoug

Quote from: 11241036 on February 14, 2016, 09:42:02 PM
I have a request: In your previous update, I've seen you frequently using huge rocks, like seen on next screenshot around the area where the Burgbächlein emerges from the ground. Are these MMP's? And if yes, could you kindly provide me with the download link?
*snip*
Check out Murimk MMP Rocks - Pack 2 - Bedrock v1.00 ... he's got some other really great gems to discover (just click on the 'find their other files' link at the top.   :thumbsup:

Themistokles

More than two weeks since the teaser, it's finally time for a real update! First of all, thank you all for your comments! I really appreciate them and the feedback you're providing. Today we're going to take a tour to the old medieval city centre, die alte Stadtkerne. And I promise, there'll be lots of walls and half-timbered houses. This part of town was one of the first that I began building, but it was only finished yesterday. And, yes, almost every square, house or garden is custom-lotted ;) But first and most importantly,

Quote from: Alan_Waters on January 23, 2016, 08:30:53 AM
&apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls
:) :satisfied:

Quote from: Mandarin(a) on January 23, 2016, 08:57:41 AM
Really nice design   :thumbsup:
Thanks, glad you liked it!

Quote from: feyss on January 23, 2016, 10:25:32 AM
Great pictures so far. I especially like the tramway loop with the roundabount tree, it's really a smart idea. And great MMP work as well  :thumbsup:
Thank you! I needed something round to fill that space, found it among my plugins :D

Quote from: Kergelen on January 23, 2016, 11:18:28 AM
wow, great pictures &apls
Thank you! :)

Quote from: Vizoria on January 23, 2016, 12:16:44 PM
I must say that you are VERY imaginative when it comes to deploying MMPs, lots and transport networks. Take a bow sir. In a mere three entries you have demonstrated your own style and produced with such quality that it rivals the best on SC4D, I'm thinking the likes of Vortext and Fasan.

You're using methods I've never seen before. I only wish there was more, larger scenes and so forth.
I'm pleased to find that you found something new in the pictures! And thank you very much, it's really a very big compliment! :) About larger scenes, I'm building them step by step... in the end, it'll maybe add up... I'm not very quick $%Grinno$%

Quote from: romualdillo on January 23, 2016, 12:22:29 PM
Great pictures again!!  &apls &apls

Quote from: Jmouse on January 23, 2016, 09:42:07 PM
When I look at your photos, I sense that you have actually lived in or visited places where you are surrounded by gorgeous scenery. Based on personal experience, I cannot imagine seeing lovely rock formations near a commercial district, or anywhere near a city or town. Photo #7 (just below the construction zone) is especially stunning. I really like the way you have used trees and shrubs to soften the appearance of the rocks while still allowing their rough surfaces to dominate the view.

Thank you! I can't say the place I live looks like this, but I enjoy travelling to such places (either IRL or through images and maps) to get inspiration. Even though I strive towards realism, I also like to improve and create a nice place, that still looks and feels like a real place. I'm very glad you like it!

Quote from: compdude787 on January 23, 2016, 10:04:36 PM
Wow, amazing! I really like how you crammed this city on the bottom of a mountain.
Thank you! It's a challenge to get a city in such a location, but for some reason I find struggling with the slopes very rewarding. :)

Quote from: 11241036 on January 24, 2016, 03:55:52 AM
Again very good work of you - how you got this city at the bottom of a mountain, as already said; the MMP work, especially at the coast and the Burgbächlein; and how you got the GRL-on-road around the corner and down a slope.
Thank you! Actually, initially I put the GLR there because it has a very weak slope restriction. At least in my slope mod, tram puzzle pieces are much more slope tolerant than draggables. It hurts me to say, but I guess this city wouldn't have been possible with only draggables. Glad you liked it!

Quote from: noahclem on January 30, 2016, 05:16:30 AM
Beautiful update  &apls  Your slope building and use of walls (some of which I'm not familiar with using) is particularly impressive, though your MMPs and organization of bats deserves plenty of recognition. Great work!
Thank you! Glad you liked it :)

Quote from: kbieniu7 on January 30, 2016, 11:12:15 AM
Nice! I agree with feyss, the tram loop with a roundabout filler inside is a clever idea and fits there! You're manage very well with difference of elevation, how the tram and raillines are meandring trough the slopes and how you use the retaining walls. The stream and rock filling, as well as the coast at the photo number 7 is magnificient  :thumbsup: Plus for the construction site  ;)

However, I would add a little bit of critisism too. Hope, you don't mind  ::) This skyscraper with four identical tenemets merged - I guess, it had to work as a one building? Good idea, however, in my opinion, it doesn't look too nice together? What is more, the "normal" w2ws on the other side of the street. What are they doing here? For me it seems like the very edge of the city, with recent developement. They seems very isolated and a bit out of context right here.

Hope, you'll answer my questions ;) But remember! Overal score of your work is very high! It's all about making it even better!
Thank you! No worries, I really appreciate criticism too :) I agree with you about the old diagonal W2W's... I haven't given it so much though before, but they should really be more modern. The only problem is that outside of prepo's diagonal W2W's I know only two modern diagonal W2W's (two great bats from SimCity Polska ;) ), the one of which is actually among them, and the other which is in eight copies on the other side of the road. If you know any good ones I'd be more than happy if you'd let me know :) Regarding the diagonal houses on the other side of the road, they're also a symptom of this lack, but actually I found they worked rather well together ::) Maybe that's because they're reminding of a part of my home town, which is built a little like that. They had just the right overhang on the back-sides to make a nice terrace as well ()stsfd() And don't worry about criticising, I really appreciate your feedback - please continue! :)

Quote from: Seaman on February 05, 2016, 12:38:46 PM

Thank you! (Question already answered.)

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 06, 2016, 02:01:25 AM
Amazing work! Being terrible with building on slopes myself, I admire your ability there.

Cheers
Willy
Thank you, very much! I like building on slopes, but it does kind of require a lot of patience and a little to get used to it, I guess. :)

Quote from: APSMS on February 06, 2016, 04:07:25 PM
I love your work, it's very detailed and meticulous. The image editing is pretty good (I'm terrible at it), but the composition of the picture is what stands out. I very much liked your other city pics, but I don't remember commenting before to tell you so.

At any rate, you have a great attention to detail and patience far exceeding mine, and it shows. Thanks for sharing!

Quote from: Themistokles on February 06, 2016, 01:38:38 PMSt Edmea - beauty of the Alpine region and yes, there are two modern cars there...
Also, there are three cars there, not two, but I won't hold it against you :D.
Thank you! I'm glad you like the postcard and the cityscape! And there's also a modern building there ::) It's modernity... one can never escape it $%Grinno$%

Quote from: Akallan on February 07, 2016, 01:59:21 PM
Still impressive. There are many good ideas in your constructions, congratulations! :thumbsup:
Thank you! I'm happy to hear that! :)

Quote from: compdude787 on February 07, 2016, 07:02:15 PM
Looks awesome!!
Quote from: 11241036 on February 14, 2016, 09:42:02 PM
Very nice teaser, can't await to see more!

Thank you, I hope you'll like today's update! And the answer you've already got :D His first pack contains many good ones as well!

IV: The Medieval City
The walled city has always been, and remains to this day, the main attraction for tourists. About half of the old city wall remains, but once it surrounded the whole city. The lake-side half of the wall was torn down in the late 17th century to make way for a modern promenade.

1. Click for full size.

We arrive in the city by following the old trail, which was once the principal connection between the city and the outside world. It snakes along the steep shorelines, below the castle which was built to protect it and the travellers that walked along it. Back in those days, the steepness was seen as an advantage, because it forced riders and imperial envoys to disembark, allowing the city guards more time to react. Today the old route is converted into a popular walking path, ending at the big gate, which throughout history has alternated between the names Kaisertor, imperial gate, and Herzogentor, ducal gate, depending on the political situation. Today, it is still called Kaisertor, even though emperors of the Holy Roman Empire are long gone.

2. Mosaic, please click for full size!

The lakeside walk is a popular place for an afternoon stroll. Here we either follow embankments outside the city walls, or walk into the oldest part of St Edmea, with its small alleyways. The Kaisertor leads us onto the Kaiserplatz, from where we can either take the Kramgasse to the city hall or follow the inside of the wall along the Mauergasse.

Thanks 11241036 for spotting my bad spelling!

A large part of the medieval city centre was destroyed in a terrible fire-storm, which swept over the city in the autumn of 1886. The city authority then decided that all new houses in the city would be built in stone, which has come to shape the city architecture ever since. This imposing, green building was erected for the St Edmea trans-Alpine trading company, which was for a long time the most prosperous company in St Edmea. Today it has been converted to small apartments, which thanks to their stunning view sell for a lesser fortune.

The medieval city centre is organised as an arc around the magnanimously named cathedral square, or Kathedralplatz. The church itself stems from the end of the 12th century, and was heavily inspired by the late-romanesque Thomaskirche in Leipzig. ;) The big open space beneath, which was once the city harbour, has since the construction of the new harbour (which is for a future update) been re-purposed as a place for city activities and festivities, like the ending of the rather small (but don't say I told you that) city carnival. In between, it serves as a modern injection into the old-fashioned cityscape, with a continuous public art exhibition. The cathedral square is also a turning-place for the tram.

The tram leaves the city through the market gate, Markttor. Here the old road along the lake starts, turning left across the market square and following the lake shore. The tram takes the newer road, climbing the steep slope on its way towards the railway station.

Outside the gates the city gets more spacious, with larger trees and larger open spaces, in accordance with the city planning of the time. The big, brown-ish building is the old Virchow-Hospital, the city hospital, founded in the last years of the 19th century. In front of the Hospital is the Hospitalplatz, and to its right-hand side (that is, to the left in the image) we find the city school.

As we leave the walled city, the medieval transitions into the 19th century and the modern. St Edmea is not only an acclaimed tourist destination, but also a city still very much alive.

I hope you have liked this little excursion, and I look forward to hearing your opinions and suggestions! What is good and what could or should I have done differently? Your feedback is what helps me improve.

Next time we'll take the other way around the castle, and go down to the railway station. Maybe there'll also be some place for the University. Anyhow, until then, take care and (if you're on the northern hemisphere) enjoy the spring! :bye:
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

Vizoria

Wow! Great use of JENX's medieval city walls and his riverside banks. I really love how that light concrete pavement is everywhere and totally ubiquitous.

Again, some great screenshots. The old town parts are great, as well as the city wall. However, most of all I love that small path along the coast below the Burg Eltz. BTW, I dislike to correct you, but the proper spelling for the German translation of Emperor is Kaiser, not Keiser.

Edit: Thanks to Simcoug for the link :)

art128

It seems I haven't commented your MD yet. Well what a splendid work it is so far, everything is extremely well done with such level of details and precision. The way you use the Paris seawalls is very ingenious. I really like the stairs on the fourth picture.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Alan_Waters

Блин, как же красиво!  &apls &apls &apls

Alan, if you're going to post in Russian, please add a translation. We'd love to know what it means. . .  -Willy, mod

Damn, how beautiful it is!
This is a modest transfer.  ;D

juguesal

Swordmaster

Exceptional! I heartily agree with the K-point.

Cheers
Willy

Simmer2

________________________________________________________________________________

Jmouse

The houses are charming, made more so by the castle walls that surround them. Clearly, you do a lot of reading, choosing to either spend time online or enjoy the pleasure of holding a book in your hands. Either way, your knowledge of history and architecture along with your sense of style provide an exceptional combination.  I've really enjoyed seeing your work and hope to see much more of it.