• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Farms North of Grasmere () My SC4 MD Scrapbook

Started by Vizoria, October 08, 2014, 02:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art128

Welcome to page 2! You need more reply around here.
The last couple updates were fantastic, I specially liked the elevated rail tracks.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

kelis

I agree with Arthur's comment !!

I like your updates and I enjoy watching them, you share always a lot of good pictures, keep up the good work  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Vizoria

Replies:

romualdillo: Thank you.

vortext: That was my first ever large waterfall and it was pretty fun to make. Also I love industrial grunge and diggis pond kits.

belfastsocrates:
Stokesley was the first city tile were I applied MMP Sims, though small they can make huge visual impact.

newsimaddict: The sea wall is nbvc's riprap seawall- http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/26175-riprap-seawall/. The grunge concrete comes from both Paeng and Murmimk: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/26425-paengs-grunge-concrete-set/ and http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/27699-nightowls-diagonal-industrial-fillers-and-extenders/. These are must have items for grunge and hard-core industrial areas.

FrankU: The forums were a little quiet and I'm not sure. Anyway, thank you for your comment.

art128: Thank you. There is a lot more to come.

kelis: Cheers!

///
///

Entry 6: Stokesley - Toral's Peak, Goatswater Lake and mountain paths.

This is one of my mountain entries, I'm going to make some more next year now that I know a lot more about MMPs. Anyway, I'll start this one off with a few pictures of the winding road which leads to the start of Stapler's Path, the main footpath which leads to Toral's Peak.

///

Lower Stokesley.

Upper Stokesley.

Toral's Peak. A very old dormant volcano, tens of thousands of years ago a powerful eruption blew off the top third of this mountain. Successive ice ages proceeded to sculpt out the three sides of Toral's Peak. Each side once bore a corrie from where a glacier originated. Now the only remnants of the glaciation are two meltwater lakes.

However while Toral's Peak is not volcanically active, the magma chamber below still superheats the water. With the vent fully blocked the only release for the water, as it condenses higher up inside the mountain, is through one old fissure- the mountain's weak spot. During long periods of rain the waterfall rages, but during dry periods it can slow to barely a trickle. In essence this waterfall is more akin to a very large spring situated above a huge aquifer.

Stapler's Path begins at Upper Stokesley.

Goatswater lake, the ground below the water is rather porous and the water seeps below before evaporating when it reaches the magma chamber deep below. Sometimes, during periods of heavy rain, the lake can swell to twice its size and sometimes even spill over.

Stapler's Path splits in two here, there is the North side and the South side. In this entry we will walk up the South side and go down the North side in one large loop.

It is at higher altitudes where the Berner Oberland terrain mod and the ARDEN tree controller really begin to shine.

The imposing West side of Toral's Peak.

The North side...

The ARDEN tree controller in action, it produces amazing results at high altitudes. Please note; I use the evergreen inland version.

Travelling down the North side of Stapler's Path.

///

The next entry, and final one of, Stokesley will feature marshland and scree slopes. Afterwards there will be several entries from my latest city- Townshead.

Dantes

The first word that is on my mind when I saw your pictures was: monumental. Along major roads and long roads lead along the strictly separated areas. The whole looks very monumental and almost Bullying. Also, your landscaping is equally monumental.

art128

With an excellent variety of pictures from urban to rural, Vizoria has shown us that he manages to create excellent landscapes. Now is the time to come and congratulate him for being selected in the OSITM of December!

On behalf of the SC4Devotion Of Special Interest This Month Committee, congratulations!

Props & Texture Catalog

Vizoria

Replies:

Dantes: I'm glad you like it!

art128: Thanks for the OSITM slot!

///
///

Entry 7: All at sea

First of all I want to thank the OSITM committee for this monthly featured slot. I have a lot to show and publish- from new entries to a few of my favourite older ones from my Simtropolis CJ. Also this month I'm going to be working on a massive hydroelectric facility and you folks will be the first to see it.

///

On my Simtropolis CJ I talked a bit about a building a seaport complex, it is a special project in a wish list of projects I want to complete in SC4. I have never really used custom seaports before but I figured I give it a go.

Anyway the seaport complex is part of the small town of Repoville. The seaport contains various industrial estates, factories, nuclear power plants, oilports, oil storage facilities, numerous docking facilities, warehouses and container areas. Let's start at the Southeast and explore this concrete behemoth.

///

The inside area of the port is protected by the habour wall.

The entire seaport was built upon reclaimed land. In at least 90% of this complex the facilities were built upon this reclaimed land.

The nuclear power stations can be seen in the top of this picture. Amazing power plant BATs by the way!

Here resides the Southern most tip of the complex. This is where smaller ships dock.

It's always quieter at the very periphery of the seaport.

I am loving those barges!

Warehouse piers are so awesome.

The reason why I used retaining walls is because I had to lower some areas more than others. All the areas containing piers or docking facilities lowered the ground. This made everything a lot more complicated, especially given that the height difference was a couple of meters.

FrankU's Modular Warehouse Pack is a must-have for industrial areas, port areas and inner-city industrial estates. Incredibly versatile and they merge perfectly with T-Wreck's dirty industry fillers.

To the South is Docklands Alpha and to the North is Docklands Beta. These docklands amount to nothing more than massive piers branching off from the lengthy East Docklands- to the right of the picture. Nearly half of the container ships dock here.

A closer look at Docklands Alpha.

jeronij's ploppable ships come in very handy here.

Part of the fun was mixing and matching different sea fronts and seawalls to spice up the area. The bottom of the picture shows some of the seaport BATs from nbvc's Modular Docks which are useful docking areas for small to mid-sized ships.

These grey container cranes are so beastly! They comprise part of nbvc's Modular Container Port. A great mod to start with for building ones very own custom seaport areas. The modular container port is designed to cater for the large ships and other nautical behemoths.

The end of Dockland Alpha pier. I decided to use Pegasus' PEG CDK3 SP Row Warehouses to finish off the end of this super pier.

And now moving back to the East Docklands we take a look at Repoville's nuclear power plants.

These BATs are of course SOMY's recreation of the Fukushima nuclear plant. It's a damned shame what happened to that facility after the great Japanese earthquake of 2011.

Travelling up North along the East Docklands we arrive at Repoville's oil terminal.

A truck stop below the electricity pylons transmission cables.

Welcome to the pipeline jungle.

And of course a rail oil depot to ship off the refined oil throughout the region.

///

Next time we take a tour around the inner port area and the town of Repoville. Also I will be posting entries once every two days.

edit: images weren't showing due to an extra http:// in front. Fixed now. Erik GM

noahclem

Congratulations for being selected to OSITM!

Only the first image of your last update is showing for me.

I've really enjoyed catching up on the last updates. You do a great job with many different types of things and in many cases do things differently than I've seen done before. Reading your MD gives me all kinds of ideas for those reasons.

The natural scenes are great. Is that regular Berner-Oberland or have you modified it? And what water mod are you using in the first picture of the new update? Is that a Poseidon variant?

How were you able to get this rock effect?

Keep up the great work  :thumbsup:

vortext

Congratulations on being OSITM!  &apls

And yoinks, that's an impressive seaport! You really have a good sense of scale for industrial areas! I'm already looking forward to the hydroelectric facility!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

art128

Fantastic work on the seaport, it does look great apart from a few things I don't really like: (but keep in mind, that's just my opinion)
-The harbor walls are a bit too close to the docks themselves. Also the opening is too narrow to allow correct navigation. Imagine all the work the container ships on the right terminal have to do in order to enter or leave the harbor. Also the oil docks need an harbor wall as well, as it seems to me to be the most critical area of the harbor.
-Not a fan of PEG stuff tbh, specially his blue cranes but hey, it's just a matter of taste.

All in all, it's a nice harbor. :)

Props & Texture Catalog

Kergelen

Congrats on the OSITM  &apls

I have been lurking here last weaks and I really like your industrials areas. Keep it up :thumbsup:

Links to SC4 websites

Vizoria

Replies:

noahclem: Thanks! To answer all of your questions here goes: 1. I have not modified the Berner Oberland mod since I don't how to; 2. The water comes with the BO terrain mod; 3. You need dogfight's Plop Rocks to plaster the terrain with rocky outcrops, next use ionionion's OMCo Filling Gravel to cover up the empty space and to mask the floating appearance of the rocky outcrops, and then finally use Heblem's paths to patch it all together to give a rather grainy ground texture.

vortext: I pass by Teesside, an industrial area in the Northeast of England, every week so I guess that is my inspiration for these SC4 industrial areas of mine.

art128: Thanks for the comment. I'm not to worried about the harbour wall and the oil terminal has underwater pipes you see. Lastly PEG's CDK3 is the only substantial seaport content out there.

Kergelen: Thank you! Keep lurking some more.

///
///

Entry 8: The Inner Harbour and Repoville

The Repoville tour continues!

///

The inner harbour.

Repoville to the North.

Docklands Beta.

Garbage scows!

Further utilization of FrankU's modular warehouses.

The Northern Docklands.

The only passenger train station in Repoville.

Electricity pylons are a must have for hard-core industrial areas.

And now it's time for a quick gallop around Repoville itself.

Repoville West.

The South-eastern commercial quarter.

For the town I didn't go for detail, instead I went for quick and easy design as the main focus was the seaport.

But with so many prop packs the RCI covers the detail!

The primary school.

Using Paeng's grunge alleyways is good, adding in MMPs makes it awesome.

The secondary school.

Most of the seaport workers live in these small apartments.

Another quick pass around the very north of the Docklands.

///

This Thursday I show the final entry from Repoville. After that a brief return to Stokesley and then a lot of sight-seeing in Townshead.

Bonus

Here is my latest work experimenting with agriculture and MMPs.

This was inspired by Fasan's amazing MD Krokanien, thus I'm going to go bonkers with farms and MMPs in the town of Ravensworth.

///

p.s. In the last entry there was something I did wrong with the http image links. Hopefully in this entry I have sorted it out.

kelis

Fantastic pictures my friend !! I like so much that effect on the grass in the last couple of pictures, can you make a small tutorial or at least explain us how did you managed to get that result? It looks very cool.

:thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

YouBet

I love the barges, too! --  The ones in the 7th pic on your 11/30 update. Do you recall where you got them? Thanks.

Great port.

romualdillo

Great work!! Your industrial areas are great!! I could stare at your pictures for hours!!

art128

Although I strongly disagree with the harbor walls, It is your seaport and thus your decision. If you like it this way then it's fine. The most important thing about citybuilding is to create something that you like and not something that the viewers will like.

Good pictures of the harbor again. The power lines are indeed a good touch. Also great work with the town next to the seaport, Repoville looks good. :)

Props & Texture Catalog

carlfatal

If this is, what comes out of a scrapbook, well then...  $%Grinno$%

What should I say than: fantastic work!  &apls

Vizoria

Replies:

kelis: I used xannepan's terrain paints/brushes from his JENX POSEIDON Water Effects mod, there are several varieties: grass, water, sand, pebble and rock. I used the grass terrain brush for the cow pasture. If there were far more HD terrain brushes available it would be possible to drastically cut back on the amount of MMPs used to create a lively and detailed landscape.

YouBet: I believe those barges come from one of Pegasus' CDK3 prop packs and/or CDK3 content. Not sure which though.

romauldillo: I always have a soft spot for industrial areas. Thanks for your comment.

art128: :P I admire your cheek.

carlfatal:  :thumbsup: The whole idea of the scrapbook is to post unedited SC4 pictures and push to the limits modded content without using the lot editor- for lots of visual appeal. There is no story or theme, just cities dotted all over various regions. My motto is as follows: no photoshop, no lot editor.

///
///

Entry 9: The Repoville Finale

And here is the final entry coming from Repoville: some more harbours, piers and marinas to. Plus a couple of night shots, why not?

///

By using ChrisAdams3997's RRP Wooden Fences, in particular the diagonal one with the grass texture, there arises this nifty trick to create smooth diagonal roads.

///

Bonus picture: Pig Pasture

///

This Saturday I want to show you some swamps and wetlands from Stokesley. After that its CBD time in the city of Townshead.

FrankU

No words......
I had to swallow three gorgeous updates and I am now out of text lines....

Except one: thanks for promoting my modular warehouses.

Fasan

Beautiful Pictures and you an integrated work! :thumbsup:
I like that very much.  &apls
MMP your work is amazing and stuff like that. Please keep it up!

Many greetings Fasan  ;)

Themistokles

Watching the fences around the residential areas, I wonder who's the most penned in - animal or human...  :-\

Just kidding, it looks really good. I especially like the way you mix trees, the railway, industry and then that gorgous-looking harbour. I don't usually feel tempted to go into port areas at night, but I might have to reconsider that.

It's really a pity this is the final update. I do hope you'll change your mind, though, and maybe start a new city or something, since I'm looking forward to seeing more! :popcorn: <-- have to love the new smileys!
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill