• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

[Tutorial] How to create Puzzle Pieces?

Started by MandelSoft, June 04, 2010, 07:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

It appears ImageShack reared its ugly head again and ate my tutorial images there (and most of my MD, and a number of other people's tutorials and MDs). :thumbsdown:

The preview models can be generated entirely using the Reader and SC4 Model Tweaker.  Just create a separate copy of the original S3Ds in a new file, use model tweaker to put them in the correct positions on the grid, shifting by increments of 16 for each tile.  Then, open that separate file, make a copy of the lowest IID piece (and increment the IID by 0x00000005 for the copy--this will become your actual preview model), then for all the other files (aside from the one you just made a copy of at a new IID), right click the S3D, select "Save decoded file" to export those models.  Then, open up your new copy (the actual preview model), and click "Add S3D", and add each one of your exported files, until you've gotten all of them.  They'll fall into place and give you a full preview.

It is possible to have the piece work without the preview, though it's very difficult to get exact with the placement without it (I actually built the first puzzle-based prototype MIS interchanges using blind plops without previews!).

-Alex

eggman121

I think I will add my bit here  ::)

You can actually copy an EFFDIR (Effect Directory) and edit it with Tropods SC4 Reader.

The sections you have to change are the S1 and S13

For S1 You just find the IID reference which is the ResourceKey and change it to the applicable IID of your preview piece, Be sure to change the IID for the two sections in section 1 and 2 of S1

For S13 you have to change the preview effect name which is the string to whatever suits. Just remember

1) No Capital Letters

2) No Spaces
and
3) Underscores_Between_The_Words! _

An Example is preview_rrp_tulep_t_001 and  preview_rrp_tulep_t_001_red

You need both to reference the piece. Errors may result to a CTD! So keep a backup.

Hope this is useful.

-eggman121

Themistokles

Hi there again ;D

Thanks guys for the help! I think I've got a full puzzle piece now. The only thing that's missing is the RUL file modification, meaning that I can't test it in game. This is what the puzzle piece looks like (thanks to vortext being very kind and let me use his beautiful textures :) ). The problem for me is mainly in the CheckType part of the file but both the ConsLayout and the CellLayout are problematic too. What should they look like and why?
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

eggman121

Hello Themistokles

Such a simple intersection like that could probably be made by draggable means.

If you have the textures handy I could put it in a draggable format.

There will be so much more flexibility if you made it drabbable and would take some weight off your shoulders  ;)

We (the NAM Team) are trying to condense down the amount of static puzzle pieces that are made since more can be done with draggable/ flex equivalents. Only rarely are static puzzle pieces made now days.

-eggman121

Themistokles

Thanks eggman, if you'd be willing to spend the time and effort doing that I'd be very grateful indeed. I'll send you a PM with the files in a minute. I can't seem to attach files to PMs. S3D, fsh and png files are attached to this post instead. Just let me know if there'd be any other files you need. :)

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

_Michael

Themistokles this looks like a wonderful idea. I can already see where this design could replace some clunky street intersections in some of my old W2W European cities. I wonder, would this drag-able form be a standalone file in the public domain? It looks great, and I would love to be able to use it! :)

Themistokles

Quote from: michae95l on April 04, 2016, 04:40:23 AM
Themistokles this looks like a wonderful idea. I can already see where this design could replace some clunky street intersections in some of my old W2W European cities. I wonder, would this drag-able form be a standalone file in the public domain? It looks great, and I would love to be able to use it! :)

Thanks, glad you like it :) I actually made it to replace a particularly awkward-looking intersection in St Edmea (that hasn't been shown $%Grinno$%). I really hope it will reach the public, but since it requires changes to the RUL file, I doubt it would be possible to make it stand-alone.

mgb204

Well, that's the beauty of the Custom Controller Compiler in the NAM. It's not well known, but you can add your custom RUL to a text file, and manually re-generate a controller including it. All using tools installed during setup. In this way, you could have an RUL file of your own. In practise, this is mostly used for testing. The only example of such I can think of is Magneto's mod to bring the Japanese Overhead wire T21s onto the Street WRCs and some other pieces. Since the NAM's philosophy is to manage the controller, not dictate what goes in it, provided there was no problems with the code, it could be distributed to all. That just requires your permission for the team to include/distribute your textures really.

Themistokles

Quote from: mgb204 on April 05, 2016, 07:32:19 PMThat just requires your permission for the team to include/distribute your textures really.

If people would be interested in it I'd only be happy if it were made public.

With the risk of it sounding awfully pretentious, I could extend this to everything I share with the SC4 community: everyone is free to redistribute as long as credit is given, and any derivative works are distributed for free and without commercial interest.