• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

WIP - Arinsia

Started by feyss, June 17, 2012, 12:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feyss

Thanks guys!

Well, I tried something I read on this thread: setting the graphic settings to low and then going back to high. Which made the props appear again:

Anyway it only seems to be a temporary solution, but it still allows me to finish what I was planning for the next update. Then, I will see what I will do since the city is crashing half the time while saving which is quite frustrating.

Oh my, it's sad to hear that you are having serious problems in your cities. With your last picture, I like the park and your slope building. I surely hope you can find a solution to this problem.

About the crashing issue: Did you try defragmenting your hard disk? I recently had serious crashing issues too and defragmentation seemed to reduce the amount of crashes I had.

Uzil

belfastsocrates

If the game crashes while saving then that will result in corruption, I had the same problems and when I reopened the game I was missing props. MGB kindly assessed my save game files and there was no prop pox but the crashing during the save process was causing props to disappear. I have been able to mitigate crashes and improve stability with a trick Ln X/Vizoria mentioned as well as using Ctrl + S to quickly save and then immediately after exit the region without saving. I make backups of the city after each save and load to check for missing props, if it's fine I can add more and then save again. It's tedious but has worked so far.

If you've confirmed prop pox then that's a terrible shame :(

I love that raised park around the monument, it looks really good, nice way to show and manage the transition in height.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

feyss

Hi guys! First of all, thank you all for the support  :thumbsup: I decided to still play the city and post pictures until I'm really done with it.

I also tried to change the water depth with noah's tutorial as Themistokles suggested it, but it didn't work. I don't know why  &mmm

Anyway, here are another pictures from Olsènes.

17. OLSENES - LOWER CITY

(you can click on the pictures to see them in real size)

Today, I show you the lower part of the city centre, just next to the Högne river.

1. Let's begin our tour with the Sainte-Catherine Square and the eponym church just next to the river.

2. It's here that was built the first bridge - the Pont Vieux (Old Bridge) - between Olsènes and Hollogne. Since it was the only bridge crossing the river during centuries in the region, the city became an important commercial crossroad.

5. The square is still an important transport hub. From there, you can easily reach all the city's neighbourhoods with public transport. For instance, you can take the tramway - like many tourists - to the Grand' Place or the Cathedral...

7. ... or take the subway to the Opera and the de Ligne Boulevard.

9. If you take the tramway to the south, you'll find the city's business district. Here, skyscrapers have replaced the old houses. I'll post more of this neighbourhood in an incoming update.

11. More global views

13. Let's finish with one last mosaic: between the city most famous landmark - the Cathedral - and the CBD.

Thank you for viewing  :thumbsup:

- REPLIES (regarding the pictures, not this ****** prop pox  :D ) -

Quote from: kelis on March 14, 2016, 10:06:11 AM
Fantastic pictures once again ! I love that main street with those trees and trams  &apls &apls

Thank you my friend! I have plenty of ideas for avenues like that  :D

Quote from: kbieniu7 on March 14, 2016, 01:25:40 PM
Good shots! Well, to be honest, I prefer, when w2w's blend a little bit with the surroundings (in my opinion the border between buildings and forest is too sharp). However, what I like there, is something, that I call "general layout" - the way, how you lay down streets, squares and important buildings like churches or schools  :thumbsup: And that you have visible terrain shape  :)

Thank you. I must admit that you're totally right but it's easier to build a forest right here instead of fields or pastures and I'm pretty bad for building those.

Quote from: Akallan on March 15, 2016, 04:45:40 PM
Great job! There's just the river in the Previous update that I can not find enough natural (we can see in the image 4, the river seems too square).

In the latest update, that's fine, no complaints! The design of your old cities is always fun to see! &apls

Thank you too! You're right too, I also find this river a bit too square but I wanted to try it at least once.

Quote from: 11241036 on March 20, 2016, 08:40:45 AM
Oh my, it's sad to hear that you are having serious problems in your cities. With your last picture, I like the park and your slope building. I surely hope you can find a solution to this problem.

About the crashing issue: Did you try defragmenting your hard disk? I recently had serious crashing issues too and defragmentation seemed to reduce the amount of crashes I had.

Thank you! More pictures of this park next time  :thumbsup:

Quote from: belfastsocrates on April 01, 2016, 03:40:57 AM
If the game crashes while saving then that will result in corruption, I had the same problems and when I reopened the game I was missing props. MGB kindly assessed my save game files and there was no prop pox but the crashing during the save process was causing props to disappear. I have been able to mitigate crashes and improve stability with a trick Ln X/Vizoria mentioned as well as using Ctrl + S to quickly save and then immediately after exit the region without saving. I make backups of the city after each save and load to check for missing props, if it's fine I can add more and then save again. It's tedious but has worked so far.

If you've confirmed prop pox then that's a terrible shame :(

I love that raised park around the monument, it looks really good, nice way to show and manage the transition in height.

It's actually the way I save the game. Sometimes it works, sometimes it crashes but the worst is when the game saves and then freezes when you move your mouse. Concerning the park, thank you! I planned to post pictures of it next time  :thumbsup:

Themistokles

Superb images as always &apls The mixture of modern and old architecture gives real character to Olsènes.

PS. Also :thumbsup: that you press on despite the technical troubles. Such defiance combined with such perfection I think merits for a +1.
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

Gugu3

compdude787

Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

vortext

Yes I agree with Themistokles and I'm happy too you're not deterred and we get to enjoy more pictures of your beautiful city! +1  &apls

As for the water depth not changing, it might be there's another terrain controller lurking in the plugins folder somewhere and overriding the changes you made - iirc gizmo's waterflora has a terrain controller bundled with it for instance. Otherwise you might have to ask in Noah's thread.

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

kbieniu7

Good to see you back there, having faced the troubles  :) Tramway lines winding among the w2w's and boulevards... that's pretty, as always! ;)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Akallan

The terraforming is great, I love the layout of the roads. The mixture of old neighborhoods with modern neighborhoods is very good. Your pictures are always nice to see! ;D
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

feyss

Hello everyone!

A little preview today:

See you soon  ;)

- REPLIES -

Quote from: Themistokles on April 07, 2016, 12:52:12 AM
Superb images as always &apls The mixture of modern and old architecture gives real character to Olsènes.

PS. Also :thumbsup: that you press on despite the technical troubles. Such defiance combined with such perfection I think merits for a +1.

Thanks a lot for the K-point. Glad you liked it  ;)

Quote from: Gugu3 on April 07, 2016, 02:03:04 AM
Awesome pics!

Thank you too!

Quote from: vortext on April 09, 2016, 04:30:36 AM
Yes I agree with Themistokles and I'm happy too you're not deterred and we get to enjoy more pictures of your beautiful city! +1  &apls

As for the water depth not changing, it might be there's another terrain controller lurking in the plugins folder somewhere and overriding the changes you made - iirc gizmo's waterflora has a terrain controller bundled with it for instance. Otherwise you might have to ask in Noah's thread.

Thanks for the K-point too  ;) I will take a look a this, thanks  :thumbsup:

Quote from: compdude787 on April 08, 2016, 11:34:47 AM
Awesome city!!!

Thanks!  ;)

Quote from: kbieniu7 on April 28, 2016, 02:59:04 AM
Good to see you back there, having faced the troubles  :) Tramway lines winding among the w2w's and boulevards... that's pretty, as always! ;)

Thank you my friend! It would look so sad without a tramway line  :D

Quote from: Akallan on May 01, 2016, 09:16:40 AM
The terraforming is great, I love the layout of the roads. The mixture of old neighborhoods with modern neighborhoods is very good. Your pictures are always nice to see! ;D

Thanks too!  ;)

compdude787

Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Uzil

Wonderfull update, really nice work with the tramway  &apls

art128

Very nice city, the skyscraper district is well planned out with the tramway running in the middle. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Gugu3

kbieniu7

Good shot! But is the terrain really steep enough for those stairs in the right part of the picture? :p
Hope to see more :)

feyss

Hello everybody  ;)

Well, it has been a while I think. I didn't work that much on Olsènes since that last pictures. Actually, the city is still crashing all the time and it really makes me insane (I must have build 10 times the same thing)... Moreover, I don't have that much time to play with the exams and an internship.

Anyway, here is two 'work in progress' pictures of a more rural city i've been working on: Arquennes. It is supposed to be a peri-urban city near Olsènes

The cathedral and the palace in the middle are part of an episcopal palace, it's why they are close to each other. This palace and the park planned alongside are supposed to be the city's main touristic attraction. I also plan to get rid of some streets and build pedestrian commercial zones instead.

On the other side of the canal, I planned a wealthier and greener area with villas and fields. Along the canal, there will be some factories.

And another village of the same municipality:

See you soon!

- ANSWERS -

Quote from: compdude787 on May 02, 2016, 11:01:38 PM
Wow, nice picture there!

Thank you!

Quote from: Uzil on May 17, 2016, 05:02:37 PM
Wonderfull update, really nice work with the tramway  &apls

Thank you too  ;)

Quote from: art128 on June 07, 2016, 12:00:26 PM
Very nice city, the skyscraper district is well planned out with the tramway running in the middle. :)

Thank you Arthur!

Quote from: Gugu3 on June 08, 2016, 01:20:04 AM
Very nice!

Thanks a lot!

Quote from: kbieniu7 on July 24, 2016, 09:45:44 AM
Good shot! But is the terrain really steep enough for those stairs in the right part of the picture? :p
Hope to see more :)

Thank you too  :) Well that was the idea  :)

kbieniu7

I know, how does it feel, when the game crashes  :angrymore: Nothing left, but to save as often as possible :(

Nice to see some work-in-progess. Talking about the episcopal palace - good to see a big square in front of it!
In my home town, Kraków, the World Youth Days has just ended. The Pope appeared in a window of Bishop's Palace, causing thousands of people to gather in front of it, waiting for him to speak to them. Once it was so crowded, that the Police closed all quarter, letting no more people in the area. So, you know, don't skimp open space here, in a case an important person make a visit in Arquennes! :P

korver

Nice work :) The layout and the building selection is superb. Looking forward to seeing how this ends up.