• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Viceroyalty of Perseus

Started by belfastsocrates, May 17, 2014, 06:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simmer2

I agree with Erik. #2 has a nice soft texture that blends in easily.
To avoid the tiling effect on the retaining wall I would grab the texture and create a non repetitive pattern with Photoshop.
That is why I make my own custom made textures, you will find no repetitions.

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

Vizoria

Both the retaining walls and the underground entrance look good. Thankfully you have posted these WIP items on SC4D so the LOT and texture guys, and galls, can give you useful advice.

If you get them finished will you be uploading them to the LEX?

vinlabsc3k

I say none of them, instead you can use the sidewalk texture! ;)
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Themistokles

More embankment choices! :bnn: I really hope you release these when they're finished. :)

Regarding the surface textures I agree with Alan. I like number 1 and 3 best. Both have that stern, unwelcoming greyish approach that is so common in modern urban planning (that of course looks fabulous in computer-generated concept art but never works out in reality ::) ). Number 1 has some tiling effect, so I'd go for number 3.
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

belfastsocrates

I should note the embankments are an unreleased project by Bipin from a couple of years ago. I don't know if he ever plans to release them though. 

Thanks for the responses so far, interesting mix of opinions!

QuotePosted by: vinlabsc3k
I say none of them, instead you can use the sidewalk texture!

The problem is I have used the sandstone extensively in most parts of the city, this new area I want to have a different look and feel so I'm avoiding the sandstone as a base for the planned public area and building base textures.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

MushyMushy

I would probably use #2 or #3 since they seem to go reasonably well with the wall and don't really seem to have obvious tiling while zoomed out.
I'm curious, if Bipin never released the walls, how did you get them? I'd love to get my hands on them.

kbieniu7

I've read the hospital update, and I'm amazed how much attention you've paid to it. I've seen still mills, airports, seaports, container terminal, universities and so on done detailed, but never a healthcare facility! Each part of it with its own dedicated function. Great work!

About the textures, as I can add my opinion, I'd use #3 or #8. #2 and #4 are overscaled for me.
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

belfastsocrates

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I decided to make my own textures for the open spaces and incorporate things like drains, manholes, fire hydrants and tree grates which utilise soakstone.

I need to create a much darker texture for the embankment walls as a line is appearing that is part of the lot and I'll need a darker texture to disguise it.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

feyss

That looks really great. I especially like the tree grates  :thumbsup:

Vizoria

Your texture work is looking fabulous! The concrete tiling and the tree planters are great.

Kergelen

Links to SC4 websites

art128

That's a really nice texture you've done there. I like the approach of creating different elements for it like the manholes etc.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

belfastsocrates

Apologies for the lack of recent updates. I've recently been promoted and that along with social and family commitments means my time for game-play has been significantly curtailed. I've also been having some game save corruption issues and that's sapping my enthusiasm a little. I think I'll need to drop available RAM to 2GB rather than the 2.5 that was proving successful until now.

I have been progressing some work though and I'd like to finish this city tile before moving onto new tiles and different projects such as rural scenes and the overdue Passau Island project which will utilise my new textures seen above.

I've been working on creating a new residential area around some light industrial development and the tram depot. This is how it's looking so far. It's a mix of social and affordable housing in both low rise and higher rise developments.

Hopefully a full and proper update will be possible very soon!

Themistokles

Glad to see you back and that with lots and lots of trams :thumbsup: Great work as always!

Don't worry about long spaces between updates, that's the way the world is constructed :D And congrats for the promotion!
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

metarvo

I'm always in the mood for warehouse complexes.  There's just something that is open and yet tight at the same time about these types of industrial zones.  The little details, such as parking, fences, and miscellaneous industrial objects, bring a sense of productivity to the area.

Nice update.  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Akallan

I really like! I love the diversity of buildings, they will integrate all very well in this environment! The road network is excellent too! :thumbsup:
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

feyss

Glad to see you back with those nice pictures  ;)

I like how the green buildings (I don't remember their name) form a block in the top right of the first picture.

art128

That's a nice industrial estate. The residential area surrounding it is well done too.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

kbieniu7

That's a very nice area. Best wishes for all of your RL affairs :)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

belfastsocrates

Long time no see  :satisfied:

Unfortunately due to persistent game save errors and crashing I lost the will to carry on with this game for some time and that was further compounded by a generally busy work and family life.

I have however decided to start creating again and I'm struggling through the continuing errors so I've had to leave some large and densely packed unfinished city tiles for the time being and instead I'm working on the Passau Island development.

I almost never post work in progress game images but I thought I'd give a teaser of what Passau Island entails. Yes the grid is on and there are empty tiles but it's just to give an idea of what's planned.

Almost every lot and building on this island has, or will, be custom edited, which is a rather time consuming task in itself. It'll be a mix of commercial, residential and leisure developments.

More to follow soon  ;)

(BTW could a Mod please move Perseus out of the 'inactive' section?)