• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerton

Interesting and nice update Alex. Waiting for the next update. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

Ramona Brie

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Well, I'm back again with another update . . . as the road crews were already in the vicinity, the City of Chemeketa's decided to make a few little improvements near the recently completed Rankine-Dallas Corridor Project.

But first, replies:

Noah (noahclem): Thanks, I'm glad to hear it was to your liking! :)  Actually, that roundabout was the fifth to go in Chemeketa.  I haven't shown the other four yet . . . they're all in that same city tile--one in a residential area at 62nd and Scarlet, the others in the big high-tech industrial area east of Highway 15.  I find they really work really well for those weird intersections like that, and you'll see something along the same lines come Update 78. In RL, I have mixed feelings on them, which have generally become more positive over time . . . they work great in situations with weird geometry and priority--but I've seen a few around these parts that have earned an eyebrow raise, too. :D

Arthur (art128): Thanks for the kind words--I appreciate it!

Alex (Exla357): Thanks, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the update and found the maps useful.  There will be mappage this time around again, too. :thumbsup:  And hopefully, 3 days wasn't too long of a wait.

supremec: Thanks, I'm very pleased to hear you enjoyed the "progress" aspect of the construction--there will be more of that to come. :)

bat: Thanks for the kind words, my friend--hope you find this update to your liking as well. :)

Jack (jacksunny): Yeah, SecretNetwork didn't really fit into my plans with Chemeketa . . . though you'll still see some interesting unreleased stuff come about . . . oh . . . a few updates from now.  And thanks for the compliments on the approach--I've always enjoyed the nitty-gritty aspect of planning these things out, and I'm always thrilled to hear from like-minded folks.

Jon (bakerton): Thanks, my friend--hopefully Update 76 will prove equally interesting for you. :)

Raymie (Tracker): Thanks, I appreciate the kind words!  That is indeed an intriguing intersection . . . I've run across a few of those in Arizona on my StreetView sojourns.  As gung-ho as certain municipalities are on roundabouts here in Oregon (Bend ::)), I'm surprised they haven't popped up here yet.  Might have to see about getting the proper tools to recreate that in SC4, too.  And I'd concur on that Loop 101/64th Street interchange . . . seems a bit close to the 56th Street one (weaving hazard, ADOT?), and a little surprising they don't have that all cordoned off in its current state. 

Now, onto the update:

This "minor" project will widen Dallas Drive NE between the Rankine Lane Roundabout and Aldrin Way NE, as well as the section of Aldrin Way NE from just south of Dallas Drive up to 52nd Avenue NE.  The intersections at Dallas/Aldrin and Aldrin/52nd will also be improved accordingly.  Here's the "after" map from the last update again, which should prove useful in terms of getting one's bearings for this update.

This is looking west at the project area.  The main thoroughfare running through there is 52nd Avenue.  The intersection in the upper left (by the office tower) is Aldrin and Dallas.  As you can see, there's some construction going on around the office tower--some additional commercial office development is occurring in that vicinity, which is part of the reason for the road improvements.

A closer up view (facing west).  As you can see, the Aldrin/Dallas intersection is pretty jammed up.

The building's parking lot is being reconfigured (facing west)

Widening preparation is underway on Aldrin (facing west)

A segment of Aldrin north of 52nd is getting widened, too (facing north)

Here's the Aldrin/Dallas intersection again, with Aldrin now widened to 4 travel lanes (facing north).  As you can see, the parking lot expansion's been progressing steadily, too.

And here's the widened Dallas and the nice new signalized intersection (facing north).

Here's that intersection up close and personal (facing north), with a teaser of an off-again/on-again project.  I made some new animated signals, and mounted them onto a mast arm assembly from my good friend Ryan B..  One of these days, I'd like to finish them up, though obviously, getting the next NAM/RHW/NWM cycle taken care of is my top priority.  You'll probably see these appear sporadically in coming updates, however.

The parking lot has some imperial-expansionist tendencies, apparently (facing north).  :D  Due to the sheer amount of traffic that will eventually be going in and out of it, another entrance/exit point is being added to hook it into the Dallas/Rankine roundabout.

And that does it for this update.  We'll be tackling a few smaller improvements and checking out some new development in Chemeketa and Vivien Heights over the next handful of updates, before delving into the big 52nd Avenue widening project.  Hope you enjoyed this one!

-Alex

noahclem

Another nice solution for the local road networks! Those signals are looking very nice as well.

On the topic of roundabouts, I agree that they can be especially useful to resolve problem geometry, including both poorly aligned roads and even 5- and 6-way intersections. They also can add some character to an area and slow traffic a bit in parks and pedestrian areas. The biggest problem in American situations is probably what you've mentioned before--unfamiliar drivers not signalling correctly.

Glad to see you more prolific in the MD world lately!  :thumbsup:

bat

bakerton

Alex, you are right; I did get inspried with this latest updaye. The new stoplights you have look great and look simular to the new ones that are being put up in my area of Wisconsin and I do hope that you work out the bugs and release them to the puplic with a nod to the original modder. Looking forward to the next update. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

Exla357

Glad to see this MD's gotten back into the swing. No, 3 days was actually too short of a wait because I was off the computer for as many days and missed an update!  :angrymore: It's all good though.

I really like what you've done here. Everything seems pretty realistic. One question: Do you purposely build your cities with infrastructure problems so that you'll have something to improve  :D?

-Alex  :thumbsup:

Ramona Brie

That is a very nice minor update. *wishes there was a project to widen something to AVE-6*

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Well, I'm back with another update here, which I think you'll really enjoy.  Suffice to say, it's road construction season!  But first, replies:

Noah (noahclem): Thanks for the kind words on the improvements and the signals!  It's good to be back at this again more regularly--hopefully, I'll be able to keep some steady momentum here now. :)

bat: Thanks--I'm glad you enjoyed it, and that you find this update to your liking!

Jon (bakerton): Thank you for the kind words, and I'm thrilled to hear I've inspired you.  I'm glad to hear you like the new signals . . . and judging by some of the recent signal/RR-crossing modding breakthroughs by my friend and colleague jondor, I'm sure you'll see a fair bit more activity on that front. :thumbsup:

Alex (Exla357): Thanks you for the compliments on the update--it's good to be back (and sorry about sneaking one out while you were away ::)).  As far as the infrastructure problems go, while I generally don't purposely seek to create them, they can happen to an extent when I'm simply putting things in place while initially building up a region.  As things fill in, it usually becomes apparent where improvements are needed.  Plus, even when I do have things optimized, I still have a tendency to keep tearing things up--Argentum was bordering on the ridiculous in that regard. :D

Raymie (Tracker): Thanks--I'm glad you found the minor update to your liking.  And I have five words for you.  We.  Like.  To.  Surprise.  People. ;)

52nd Avenue NE Widening, Phase 1 (Mosby to Halpert)

The City of Chemeketa's Department of Public Works is beginning the process of improving 52nd Avenue NE in order to better facilitate the movement of commuters and freight traffic in North and Northeast Chemeketa.  As shown on the long-term project map from April, this project is marked as #4. 

Alternate link to map:

As discussed in the development of previous projects, 52nd Ave NE is a major east-west surface arterial through the northern reaches of the city, connecting the predominantly residential areas to the west, up with the high-tech facilities and office parks to the east, as well as providing a link between the Chemeketa Parkway (Highway 219) and the West Oregon Freeway (Highway 15).  The development on the east end has led to substantially increased traffic congestion on the section between Ashcroft Street NE and Halpert Road NE.  While recent projects, including the Rankine-Sorenson Corridor Project and the Aldrin Way improvements have mitigated some of the issues along 52nd Ave, the road is still failing to meet an appropriate Level of Service (LOS).

Between the Chemeketa Parkway and Schrute Road NE, 52nd Ave is currently a 4-lane roadway with speed limits ranging between 35 and 50 miles per hour.  The results of the study performed by the city and outside consultants has shown that in order to handle 2020 capacity levels with an acceptable LOS, much of the road needs to be widened to 6 lanes.  The segment in particular need of such an upgrade is between Ashcroft Street to Halpert Road.  Studies are still underway as to the efficacy of extending the lane additions westward toward the Chemeketa Parkway interchange.

In order to make the best use of funding and minimize disruption along all of 52nd, the project will be undertaken in phases, beginning with the eastern segment, between Mosby Road and Halpert Road.  The second and third phases have yet to be funded.  Phase 2 will cover the segment from Scarlet Street NE to Mosby Road, while Phase 3 will extend from Ashcroft to Scarlet.  If studies determine it is necessary, a Phase 4 would cover from the Chemeketa Parkway to Ashcroft.

Here is the existing intersection with Scott Drive NE and the Highway 15 Northbound Ramps:

Facing east

Facing north

This is the existing intersection at Halpert Road NE (facing east):

Here is the existing Highway 15 overpass:

Facing east

Facing north

Construction begins.  52nd has been narrowed to 3 lanes while excavation takes place.

At Scott Drive, facing north

At Highway 15, facing north

At Mosby Road, facing north

Here are various images of construction already underway.

Facing north at Mosby and Highway 15

Facing west from Scott Drive toward Highway 15 along 52nd

Paving underway, facing west

Facing south at the 52nd/Scott intersection

The widened roadway is now in place under Highway 15 (facing north).  (If you're wondering how I got the T21s, I tweaked jackxu's AVE-2 median mod on the AVE-6.  These will not be in the public NWM release.)

A look along 52nd after construction (facing east)

Turn lanes going in place at the Mosby intersection (facing north).  Signals have not yet been installed.

And that does it for this update.  While the city accumulates more funding for Phase 2, we'll take a look at the McCabe Street extension next time.  Hope you enjoyed this latest project!

-Alex

vinlabsc3k

Excellent work Alex!! &apls

I would know if AVE-6 has its own T21 props or not. If not, release that jackxu's modified work, please. :thumbsup:

My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

io_bg

Nice work on widening that road, I like the look of the AVE-6 and those advanced TULEPs I spotted ;D
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

noahclem

Nice reconstruction on 52nd Ave NE!  &apls I really like those median T21s and would also love to see them released. The interchange is well laid out and those old advanced TuLEPs are sweet. I also always enjoy checking out your map--can I ask how you create them?

Looking forward to more  :thumbsup:

bat

Your updates are always great!
Looking forward to phase 2...

Exla357

Phase one is looking great here. I'm glad you aren't (yet) copying your NAM buddies by purposley showing off a rediculous amount of new RHW stuff...although I must admit I'm drooling over the AVE-6. Does it come with it's own T21 props or did the guy who made the Median for Ave-2 get a Mod done for this too?

Whatever the state of NAM 30, I'm really glad to see you're MD back on the grid and, funny, my regions turn out that same way too. When I rebuild something, I'll just put the game on pause, bulldoze everything, and rebuild it from scratch.  :D
Lookin' forward to more!

-[The "Other"] Alex  :thumbsup:

Ramona Brie

Do release that mod separately. It's not Arizona palm trees and shrubs in the median, but then again, I use the Olympic terrain (for some reason).

P.S. Let me guess: no signals = they have not been T21'd yet?

rhwfanatic221

Wow the Ave 6 looks really cool w/the T21 mod there... I hope somewhow tht can get released whenever the next nam comes :D I also was curious about if tht non-signalized intersection was T21'd for traffic lights or one where there's an option not to have a traffic light? Although as busy as tht would be to cross I'm assuming it's just not finished w/all tht.

Anyways awesome work, love it as always  :thumbsup: &apls

sc-4

Fantastic MD Alex , I never came here , so I've bookmarked your MD and I will read all the page later.

Call me Ludo

bakerton

Nice job Alex. Everything looks great and of course, inspiring. Glad to hear about stop lights front. Looking out for some more updates from you. JKB
beam me up.... please!

RickD

Wow, so many updates while I have been on vacation.
The avenue looks excellent.  :thumbsup: And I really didn't expect the roundabout in the previous updates but it looks like a good solution for this situation.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

travismking

wow I wish I could be an NAM tester, that AVE-6 looks so lovely I cant wait for it to be released, Nice update Alex :)